Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier LeagueYoung Player of the Year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Good spot there...who would be the main competition to him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ashley Young I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I think Ireland deserves it but Young or Agbonlahor will win it cos they're English

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I think Ireland deserves it but Young or Agbonlahor will win it cos they're English

Or in Young's case because the infinitely more likeable.

In fairness Young or Ireland would be a worthy winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Knobs

johnny evans mytnt be a bad bet for this

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Evans has only played sporadically this season. If he gets it then it will show what a joke the PFA awards really are. S Ireland SHOULD be a shoo in for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 punky brewster

the final selections are a joke anyway
    van der sar no chance didnt have any saves to make during clean sheets
    vidic fair enough quality defender and a good season
    gerrard goes without saying although not his best season
    rio your having a laugh hardly played and in on vidic's work
    giggs f-ing sympathy vote just because he broke records doesnt deserve him a place

whoever wins the league between liverpool and man u it will be between vidic and gerrard and like above between young and ireland
    ill go with gerrard and young

• Registered Users Posts: 26 romunn

I agree with last post Young and Gerrard.

Can't find anywhere on pp.com to place this bet, do you know if you can??

Not a bad double both are 11/8 on oddschecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Has Lennon got an outside chance?

• Advertisement

raheny red wrote: »
    Has Lennon got an outside chance?

None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supadude

lennon,ireland,young id say def one of these 3

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

bookies stoped takin bet on giggs winning, can still get 2/5 on betfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

If Giggs wins it this year it's an absolute farce and wil never be taken seriously again, not that it should eb anyway. Why the hell they cant wait until the season is over before voting I will never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

JCos wrote: »
    If Giggs wins it this year it's an absolute farce and wil never be taken seriously again, not that it should eb anyway. Why the hell they cant wait until the season is over before voting I will never understand.

Why would it be a farce, which of the other nominations have been better than him, Vidic maybe been the possible exception???

Vidic- Rock, made a few mistakes towards the end of season though
    Van Der Sar- most overrated keeper in the premiership
    Ronaldo- Only played when he felt like it, class act all the same
    Ferdinand- Consistant, this had a lot to do with Vidic though
    Gerrard- gave 110% again, far from his best season ever

Perhaps Torres deserved a nom.
    Arteta was surely a def nom. till he got injured

Cant think of anyone else who deserves a mention!!!!

Go on Giggsy.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

Giggs has had a good season and has improved on his poor form over the past few years but he shouldn't even be near nominated never mind in Contention. It's all sentiment.

Van der Sar is an avergae goalie that was all over the media for keeping a string of clean sheets that was down to the defence in front of him rather anything he did himself. Can you name me one remarkable save he's made all year?

Ronaldo has been poor by his standards but is still the league's top scorer so I cant quibble about his nomination though he doesn't deserve to win it.

Vidic is well worth his nomination and has been United's best player by a mile this season apart from a couple of high profile bad games against Liverpool. If a United player is to win it, it should be him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donlerz

i would have to say evans he is just pure class...
    he is a solid def and soes not make many misstakes!

i wouldnt be serprised if young got it he is also quality!:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

A couple of opinions.

1. Ryan Giggs winning makes a mockery of the thing. He's been average at best this year. A poor decision to give him one he was 'owed' after his long successful career.

2. Ireland has been consistently brilliant this year. Young hasn't. As already outlined the only reason Young won is because he is a lot more likeable than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A couple of opinions.

1. Ryan Giggs winning makes a mockery of the thing. He's been average at best this year. A poor decision to give him one he was 'owed' after his long successful career.

2. Ireland has been consistently brilliant this year. Young hasn't. As already outlined the only reason Young won is because he is a lot more likeable than Ireland.

Whoever said that is taking a load of bollox. I wonder have they ever heard an interview with Ireland. As honest a footballer as can be.

Young own becuase he's English. Either that or because Premiership footballers in general are idiots. A combination of the two is most likely.

• Advertisement

I'd have given the award to Youg without question. He's had a terrific year. Ireland's has been good too but no need for the hyperbole when the decision doesn't go your way

Young hasn't had a better season than Ireland. He was on a par with him until March or so (yes I know that's when the votes are cast) but has, like Villa, been sub par since.

In the league this year -

Stats Ireland - Young - Giggs
    Apps 31 - 32 - 12
    Goals 9 - 6 - 1
    Assists 9 - 6 - 7
    Tackles 93 - 44 - 23
    Interceptions 84 - 47 - 23
    Accurate crosses 12 - 51 - 43
    Shots on target 26 - 23 - 9

To say Young has had a better *season* than Ireland is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Young won is because he is a lot more likeable than Ireland.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Whoever said that is taking a load of bollox. I wonder have they ever heard an interview with Ireland. As honest a footballer as can be.

Young won because he's English. Either that or because Premiership footballers in general are idiots. A combination of the two is most likely.

Yet to an english player this could be the same thing, more likeable because he is english.

Just because he is honest doesn't mean is likeable

Well now it's been revealed that Ireland didn't even make the top three with Agbonlahor and Evans placing after Young.

That confirms for me that the whole thing is a farce and no one should even consider betting on something like this in the future.

Xavi6 wrote: »

To say Young has had a better *season* than Ireland is simply not true.

To base anything on stats is completely futile IMO.

I think Young's had a better season thatn Ireland, and others agree. You, and others, disagree. No big deal

Don't see why anyone could get worked up about this type of thing (and as for betting, PP had Young as favourite, so its not like its a bolt from the blue)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As John Giles would say, "You can prove anything with stats Bill".

Advertisement