Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour of undercoat?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Does undercoat have to be white?

I'm painting the inside of a new house, so bought some white matt emulsion to get me started on the undercoat. As the different rooms will obviously be varying colours, does my undercoat colour have to be the same as/similar to the finish coat? (I won't be painting bright over dark but is there any issue with painting blues/reds over white?).

I'd just like to be sure before I get rolling,

Many thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

if the walls have'nt been painted before yes white paint will be fine as a base coat.dilute it with around 10% water..

you will then have to put two coats of your finish colour ontop of the white..

as for the red or blue no dont use the white.

unless its a light blue white would be fine but if its a deep blue or especially the red paint is very hard to cover white.

I would just use the red or blue as a base coat for those rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What I done is mixed half and half. Half undercoat with haf the top coat. It still needs to coats but turned out very well

Advertisement