Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constantly cancelling shifts

Options
  • 14-04-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I got a part time job in a call centre in January. It's one of those student-friendly pick your own hours kind of jobs. They said at the start I had to be available to work at least 12 hours (3 shifts) a week. Every week I book my 3 or more shifts but there is still yet to be a week where I work more than 2, and even that was a rare occurence. They keep ringing me before shifts and telling me they don't need me and have to cancel it. Sometimes they let me know the day before, other times they just ring me an hour before. I've even been on the way to work a few times when they've rang. It's getting very annoying as I can't plan anything!! I don't know when I'm going to be free, or how much money I'm ever going to earn. Actually I don't think I'm due to earn anything this month.
    I'm a good employee. Always on time and got perfect marks in my evaluations, so I don't think it's a personal thing.. but why would they hire a load of people when they don't need them?
    I'm grateful to have a job in the recession, but I hate that I'm going to spend my whole summer waiting around for phonecalls and not knowing when i'm in.
    Is this really unfair of them or common practice in this kind of job? Any adivce?

Advertisement