Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no such thing as community gardens?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

A lot of housing estates have greens that they dont use why dont we turn these into community gardens? Or why doesnt the council designate land for community gardens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Do you mean allotments where a person is given a small piece of land they can use? Most county councils have something like this, but afaik there's usually a waiting list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Thoie wrote: »
    Do you mean allotments where a person is given a small piece of land they can use? Most county councils have something like this, but afaik there's usually a waiting list.

Not really because allotments are done by individuals and you have to rent them. I mean an open garden in a housing estate or street where anyone can come and contribute and work as a community. Allotments are small, community gardens are bigger and you grow more if you use some organic/permaculture techniques. Like i see a lot of housing estates with greens that doesnt even get its grass cut couldnt this be put into better use by people who are dedicated to gardening?

Councils actually do allotments? that's the first i've heard of that. Well they better step up a few gears and give more land to growing food than building housing estates. lets start working with nature and not against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

looks like were leading the way over here in the north-whest!
    community gardens starting to spring up all over the Sligo/Leitrim area(8 or 10) at the moment and more to come....they are being set up under the guidance of the organic center in Leitrim, so that first time growers
    will have experienced help and guidance from the start.

dardevle wrote: »

looks like were leading the way over here in the north-whest!
    community gardens starting to spring up all over the Sligo/Leitrim area(8 or 10) at the moment and more to come....they are being set up under the guidance of the organic center in Leitrim, so that first time growers
    will have experienced help and guidance from the start.

Awesome that's good to hear. About time too. We should have been doing this years ago.

There's a great technique called Permaculture, you'll need a good few acres and takes at least a few years to set up but once it's set up nature does all the work. There are bigger projects like forest gardens that take generations to set up but whats amazing is that these produce and grow themselves once they're set up without the need of pesticides and other crap. There's a farmer on a mountain in Nepal, where its cold and snows, growing bananas and oranges because of the way he uses rocks and ponds to reflect the suns light. Instead of spending money on wars why not spend it on food gardens and free energy. We need to start working with nature and not against it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6370279933612522952
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=permaculture

Walden; Life in the Woods by Henry David Thoreau (interesting read ;))

Thoie wrote: »

I wonder is their a law in Ireland requiring the council to build community gardens if 8 people demand it? I know there is one in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    A lot of housing estates have greens that they dont use why dont we turn these into community gardens? Or why doesnt the council designate land for community gardens?

Probably a lot to do the fact that from the outset communism is a failed system whose success was fleeting and mainly in print. The council would probably object because (a) could never make a decision and (b) fear of opening floodgates to liability and claims etc.

Probably a lot to do the fact that from the outset communism is a failed system whose success was fleeting and mainly in print. The council would probably object because (a) could never make a decision and (b) fear of opening floodgates to liability and claims etc.

Who mentioned communism? Couldnt give a flying fcuk about communism. Communism is about big government, ownership of everything. This would be the opposite this would be the people in the community running the garden. Part of the reason why i'd like to see food gardens everywhere is so we can become more responsible of our lives and not needing governments to cradle us. To be honest if there was a green in my estate not being used as a flesh and blood man on the land i wouldnt seek permission to dig it up and grow food off a council (legal fiction - hasnt got a conscience or a mind) i would go and do it as it is my right under God (whoever or whatever that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To be honest if there was a green in my estate not being used as a flesh and blood man on the land i wouldnt seek permission to dig it up and grow food off a council (legal fiction that hasnt got a conscience) i would go and do it.

Ok, so you are out on the green.
    What happens when you put a spade or the bucket of a mini-digger through the fibre-optic cable delivering the Google videos of Nepal to your bedroom.
    Do you run to the "Man" then and tell him to bring back your internet.

Maybe you could use "rocks and ponds to reflect" the light signals.

mikom wrote: »
    Ok, so you are out on the green.
    What happens when you put a spade or the bucket of a mini-digger through the fibre-optic cable delivering the Google videos of Nepal to your bedroom.
    Do you run to the "Man" then and tell him to bring back your internet.

Maybe you could use "rocks and ponds to reflect" the light signals.

lol!

well it would be wise to check to see if there are pipes or cables underneath before hand. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I love the idea, but how do you manage the sharing of vegetables? If I plant carrots on the green, Bob waters them, Charles weeds them, what's to prevent Dave, who's done nothing, just coming along and taking them all? Though I suppose we could then credit Dave with having done some digging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

While I like the idea and I can see it being successful in smaller villages, I can't see it working in large urban estates. I can think of nothing the local gutties would like more than doing wheelies in the cabbage patch, or figure eights in the flower garden. It would take a lot of vigilance and diligence to protect your work and frankly I think people are too apathetic and self absorbed to bother. I may be proven wrong and I hope I am but I won't hold my breath.

It's true people would have a hard time defending their vegetables in large urban areas but think of it this way, if there were community gardens in every estate (it should be mandatory to leave an area for a community garden when building a housing estate) it would be less likely anyone stealing these crops but im not saying it couldnt happen. I dont mind doing it for just the fun anyway. We are basically the caretakers for future generations. If we had community gardens and then really large gardens on outskirts of towns that produced itself (which could happen with the correct techniques) there would be no need to pay nevermind steal. We hear governments and these fake environmentalists going on about the environment and global warming (lol) yet their solutions are to depopulate the world, pay carbon tax, GM foods, and the loss of more and more freedoms when all this is doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause, they could easily treat the cause by doing something like this. An even better, short term system, would be growing hemp its a weed and only takes 3 months to grow. An acre of hemp produces 300% more paper than an acre of forest. CAn use it as fuel for vehicles, can use it for medicine, food, textiles and so on. And then its cousin marijuana can be used for recreational use ;). we could have free energy if we wanted, look up Nikola Tesla on the internet or a science book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMuBtsUbdpw Leith Gardens in Edinburgh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4 Permaculture in Action - Greening The Desert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrfNVzDNME Permaculture Water Harvesting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdpT6r370ik&feature=PlayList&p=ADB15864889A72A2&index=17

Who mentioned communism? Couldnt give a flying fcuk about communism. Communism is about big government, ownership of everything. This would be the opposite this would be the people in the community running the garden. Part of the reason why i'd like to see food gardens everywhere is so we can become more responsible of our lives and not needing governments to cradle us. To be honest if there was a green in my estate not being used as a flesh and blood man on the land i wouldnt seek permission to dig it up and grow food off a council (legal fiction - hasnt got a conscience or a mind) i would go and do it as it is my right under God (whoever or whatever that is).

Sounds like anarchy gardening, is this a new trend, gosh I was already confused by the guerilla and gandhi stuff?:eek:

Sounds like anarchy gardening, is this a new trend, gosh I was already confused by the guerilla and gandhi stuff?:eek:

Political parties or political ideologies are not relavant to me. I'm not stuck in the left/right paradigm. I have enlightened and elevated myself long ago to the point that i have realised you cant change anything in politics and i feel sorry for those people who are stuck in this political paradigm. Political parties were created to divide people so they dont unite. I am not anti government i am anti-corruption and have zero tolerance for it. LOL and mate all it is is gardening no need to put a label on it. Be an adult and grow some balls.

peace to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

me thinks the o.p. will never get his idea up and running, 2 arkward, 2 hard to mind, 2 hard to divvy the spoils, not to mention who grows what and where, the only way to do this isto have a dictator, and that will not work.

old boy wrote: »
    me thinks the o.p. will never get his idea up and running, 2 arkward, 2 hard to mind, 2 hard to divvy the spoils, not to mention who grows what and where, the only way to do this isto have a dictator, and that will not work.

Not really, if i had land i'd be doing it already. Just need a few dedicated people to do it. It's not too hard, only the first few years is when you have to work once these type of "permaculture" gardens are set up they regulate themselves and all we have to do is forage. Obviously it would get destroyed if everyone was coming foraging for food, but that's only during the transition soon if we have these all over country, because we seriously need to stop monoculture before we destroy ourselves, and we have plentiful of supply of food, imagine the whole countryside of farming practices like this. If it will not be free at least it'd be cheaper. Of course there will be leaders, leaders arise naturally, if someone knows more than the other well then obviously he stands above the other. We havent even tried this, so we dont know till we try. They're doing it in austrailia, canada, india, africa and it's working. This doesnt have to be frowned upon as some communism/or any other political crap, if you dont want to do it then fine but other people out there would love to do this sort of stuff, if only we had the land.

Political parties or political ideologies are not relavant to me. I'm not stuck in the left/right paradigm. I have enlightened and elevated myself long ago to the point that i have realised you cant change anything in politics and i feel sorry for those people who are stuck in this political paradigm. Political parties were created to divide people so they dont unite. I am not anti government i am anti-corruption and have zero tolerance for it. LOL and mate all it is is gardening no need to put a label on it. Be an adult and grow some balls.

peace to you all

So long as you do what you want, it's OK or is it? What if your boyfriend who also claims to have a zero tolerance doesn't like you're gardening, what then?

Democracy is as much about 'freedom' as it is to keep 'free roaming fruiters' in check. Because someone didn't pay for it or doesn't grant any right to do whatever they want.

Sometimes an idle green space is preferrable to having 'well motivated' half wits running free with spades and seeds, under the illusion of what they're doing is gardening an dfor the greater good? It's not science it may sound like it but also has a 'B' at the start and an 'ology' at the end.

Balls without brains are just that....balls!

So long as you do what you want, it's OK or is it? What if your boyfriend who also claims to have a zero tolerance doesn't like you're gardening, what then?

Democracy is as much about 'freedom' as it is to keep 'free roaming fruiters' in check. Because someone didn't pay for it or doesn't grant any right to do whatever they want.

Sometimes an idle green space is preferrable to having 'well motivated' half wits running free with spades and seeds, under the illusion of what they're doing is gardening an dfor the greater good? It's not science it may sound like it but also has a 'B' at the start and an 'ology' at the end.

Balls without brains are just that....balls!

Everyone is entitled to do what they want as long as they dont hurt anyone else. The whole point of a community garden/farm is so the community is involved. If someone doesnt like my style in gardening they could tell me and perphaps offer some of their tips, a good way to learn is through mistakes.

Dont know what you mean by the second paragraph. And dont care either.

That's your opinion, and i respect that but dont accept it, but if someone wants to use green space for gardening they a quite entitled to do it. Why wouldnt it be for the greater good? Its free veg and exercise at the same time. :D

So okay tell me do you like going to a supermarket every week for your groceries? Paying high prices to corporations who paid so little to farmers in the land of Ireland and in foreign countries. What would you do if there was a economic collapse or another disaster which stopped the supply of food into supermarkets. What are you to do then? Sit in your home waiting for your gov to come and save you? LOL

Everyone is entitled to do what they want as long as they dont hurt anyone. The whole point of a community garden/farm is so the community is involved. If someone doesnt like my style in gardening they could tell and perphaps offer some of their tips, a good way to learn is through mistakes.

Dont know what you mean by the second paragraph. And dont care either.

That's your opinion, and i respect that but dont accept it, but if someone wants to use green space for gardening they a quite entitled to do it. Why wouldnt it be for the greater good? Its free veg and exercise at the same time. :D

So okay tell me do you like going to a supermarket every week for your groceries? Paying high prices to corporations who paid so little to farmers in the land of Ireland and in foreign countries. What would you do if there was a economic collapse or another disaster which stopped the supply of food into supermarkets. What are you to do then? Sit in your home waiting for your gov to come and save you? LOL

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS TRACES OF NUTS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Behave, you lot. I'd like to see a little less scorn pouring and a little more debate on pros and cons.

And you can all be mean later on if and when Joxer and Anto stumble upon Gu3r1lla's community garden at 2am with their cider flagons, uproot everything, piss on the garden beds and destroy all of his hard work and the council respond with "I told you so".

It's a basic equation - if you own the green space, do what you want with it. If it's communal green space and the whole community agrees, do what you want with it. If it's not your green space and half of the community would prefer the grass to a bunch of cabbages, you'll have problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Behave, you lot. I'd like to see a little less scorn pouring and a little more debate on pros and cons.

And you can all be mean later on if and when Joxer and Anto stumble upon Gu3r1lla's community garden at 2am with their cider flagons, uproot everything, piss on the garden beds and destroy all of his hard work and the council respond with "I told you so".

It's a basic equation - if you own the green space, do what you want with it. If it's communal green space and the whole community agrees, do what you want with it. If it's not your green space and half of the community would prefer the grass to a bunch of cabbages, you'll have problems.

well put

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm involved in a community garden project in Dublin city, myself and a few others have built loads of raised beds and are growing vegtables fruit etc. We have tried to get as many people from the area involved and it is going really well now. The land is an area where flats were ripped down a few years back and was supposed to be developed but that fell through, Dublin city council own the land but have agreed to let us do our thing there on a year by year basis (took a long time and a lot of meetings to get that much).

Sorry that guy i was referring to on the mountain of nepal was actually in austria... check out the farm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7mQZHfFVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sorry that guy i was referring to on the mountain of nepal was actually in austria... check out the farm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7mQZHfFVE

:eek: Are you sitting inside on one of the finest days in ages posting about mountains, Nepal, and Austria? I worry about the community gardens if that's the case.

There's an old saying, " Dream about potatoes with a spade in your hand", for simply wishing will not turn the soil.

mikom wrote: »
    :eek: Are you sitting inside on one of the finest days in ages posting about mountains, Nepal, and Austria? I worry about the community gardens if that's the case.

There's an old saying, " Dream about potatoes with a spade in your hand", for simply wishing will not turn the soil.

I wish i had the land in the first place :)

Advertisement