Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What recession? Cant get driveway quotes!!

• 14-04-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to think this recession talk is a joke. I've been tring to get a driveway done for a while.
    It's about the size of 3 parking spaces, involving the usual moving or replacing a pillar and taking up the single concrete parking space. Was hoping to get imprinted concrete, but could be swayed towards coblelock.

Anyway,phone around 6 "reputable" recommended companies, from big to one man operations. Each has said they'll call around, measure up, give a quote etc. Each one hasn't arrived, or have phoned/texted etc.... too busy, call you next week.

For all this talk of no work, it seems crazy that a few grands worth of work is impossible to get done.!!

Anyway that's my rant for today... had the same experience last year trying to get plasterer's, took weeks of missed appointments, and plasterers calling by, scratching heads and saying they would be in touch. Eventually got a fantastic one by accident!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    If you need a number PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

stick in there. there are plenty of guys looking for work; just take a look at the usual sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Hooray!!!!

Tried various sites (web sites..not building ones!)
    Tried one that gave you various quotes..... give it a go if you have loads of time to spare, and want to meet lots of cowboys, or dodgy guys with broken English who start by saying "it will be cash yes? no vat, cash good"

Anyway by pure luck had to call to a friend of a friend who gave my number to a neighbour who does driveways. He calls, arranges a time to call.... arrives , wait for it...EARLY.

Measures up, measures again. Asks a few questions about drainage/manhole covers etc.

Hands me a brochure on paving, gives his recommendations on colours that are bad + why. Calls me the next day with a quote of 4,500 euro for 90 square metre (which included changing wall/pillars, and would take 2/3 days depending on type of stone used (some comes from n-ireland)

Anyway arranges to come the following week, comes early...(if the union finds out, he's a gonner) and takes 2 and a half days, fantastic job, great crew....I'm still in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

mc guiver

pm me with your general location i never turn away work especially in these times, depending on your location,

and if your talking about 3 parking spaces of a driveway, block paved would take 2 full days and maybe the 3rd half day just to tidy it off and make sure your happy with it,

at there any manholes in your driveway, and would you prefer block paving to concrete

Advertisement