Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're at it again!

Options
  • 14-04-2009 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

I heard about this on the radio a few days back and decided to post here to see how people react. Obviously the majority of us here absolutely love animals and are in favour of any movement to protect them and their wellbeing but this group irritates me sooo much!
    "Peta Europe has written to Pet Shop Boys with a request they are unable to agree to," reads a post on the band's official website.

But the band admits the request "raises an issue worth thinking about".

Peta's letter requests the name change because of the cruelty it alleges takes place in the pet trade.

If the band were to agree to the name change, it continues, it would "encourage your millions of fans to consider giving a home to an abandoned or unwanted animal from an animal shelter".

'Bizarre'

In her letter, Peta's special projects manager Yvonne Taylor admits that her request "may at first seem bizarre".

It goes on to list a series of criticisms against the way pet shops obtain, maintain and house their animals.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe were inspired to call themselves the Pet Shop Boys by friends who worked in a pet shop in west London.

Originally named West End, the electronic pop duo won a Brit award for their outstanding contribution to music earlier this year.

The group - whose hits include West End Girls, Heart and It's A Sin - released Yes, their 10th studio album, last month.

Apparently PETA have asked the Pet Shop Boys to change their name because it stands for animal cruelty. While they make a valid point in asking people to adopt new pets from animal and rescue shelters, I can't help thinking that this latest stunt is for publicity rather than making any real impact. Seems a bit extreme and even a bit sensationalist to be honest. Anyone have anything to add? Agree? Disagree?

*I have read the charter and I've run this thread by the mods before posting. It's okay as long as we don't post links to their website! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Oh for the love of god.

Have they never heard the term "pick your battles?"

Sigh.. This is one of the many, many reasons I refuse to support PETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

liah wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god.

Have they never heard the term "pick your battles?"

I know!!!
    I'm a big supporter of their anti-fur, anti-chicken cruelty, anti-IAMS, anti-circus campaigns, but it's rubbish like this that means people don't take them seriously.
    They're a huge organisation but it's a waste of their resources to campaign about silly things like band names.

What's next, Jay-Z becoming Stray-Z?

Having said that, they could write a letter to Obama. I was really disappointed that rather than adopting a shelter dog like he said he would, he got a purebred Portugese Water Dog. His daughter is allergic, but there are plenty of non-shed breeds far more common than a Portugese that can be easily found in shelters, e.g. poodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Locking this as I have not cleared this post & I will check with the other mods.

Bond.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mizz lolly.

I approved a thread you asked me about which you said was related to peta.

I didnt think it was going to be such a stupid a thread as this is.

Cmon--asking the petshop boys to change their name.A thread like that belongs in after hours.

I really thought it was going to be a serious thread regarding peta and this thread certainly isnt.

Im leaving it locked.

Richie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement