Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm and Broadband

Options
  • 14-04-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

1. What changes need to be made to house alarm when I get broadband? Any new equipment needed, things to enquire about, etc

2. What is the type and approx cost of equipment to alert my mobile phone when house alarm goes off?? Information appreciated, please and thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your alarm is monitored & wired correctly with line seizure then no changes are needed.
    What text/voice dialler you require depends on the make of your alarm.
    Please post these details so I can give you more accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

Its an Aritech Advisor CD 7212, never gave any probs but just wondering if it needed adjustment on phone line since broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Your best bet is to try it and see. Install the broadband and then test the speed and test that the alarm can send signals. I'm guessing it'll ok
    You can pick up a filter with terminals on it for around €40 or you could get one of the eircom boxes that have the filters built in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Presuming your using an RD62 dialler with line seizure everything will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If you recieve broadband through the a phoneline that is shared with the alarm panel a broadband filter should be installed on the alarm panel dialler.

Koolkid:
    Presuming your using an RD62 dialler with line seizure everything will be fine.
    I dont think so. My understanding is that this device does not have a broadband filter. You should check with the manafactuer. The alarm panel dialler can slow your internet connection due to interference with the DSL frequency.

There is also a good thread about this here
    What changes need to be made to house alarm when I get broadband?
    A brodaband filter may be required. Most alarm panels do not have a built in broadband filter. The new Astec fusion is one of the exceptions, its dialler comes with a built in filter.

The good news is that it is possible to have line seizure and filter the phone line to the panel, so your broadband speed is maintained.

Remember any phone will work without a broadband filter, but it will slow the connection speed down. An alarm panel is seen as another phone on the phoneline.
    Any new equipment needed, things to enquire about, etc

Yes, a device that can be bought for this task it looks like this

• Advertisement

fishdog wrote: »

Koolkid:
    I dont think so. My understanding is that this device does not have a broadband filter. You should check with the manafactuer. The alarm panel dialler can slow your internet connection due to interference with the DSL frequency.

I would agree with jnealon here..Not needed in my experience. Your alarm panel needs a clean line to dial out. Once line seizure is in place , when the dialler takes the line the DSL drops off as the line is disconnected from the modem. When the call is complete the dialler hangs up , the line reconnects to the modem & DSL syncs again.
    WRT interference, every system we install or have installed in this manner would have speed checks done before & after. If anything is noticed obviousally a filter would be fitted. But this is rare.
    My own alarm is on a DSL line with 8 meg BB.
    I regularly max out my connection ;) but have never had any issue with speeds or interference.
    My motto is this business has always been if its not broken dont fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Fish yours is the exact same advice I got from Eircom and this is what I done. My alarm engineer charged me 150 euro for the pleasure thought :mad:

Eircom are OTT here & often insist on them installing your modem also. Generating income for themselves in the same way your alarm company did.
    I would never charge to fix /fit unnecessary equip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Good lad kool I should have used you. I just know I am happy with what I have but not happy with the price.

Fish yours is the exact same advice I got from Eircom and this is what I done. My alarm engineer charged me 150 euro for the pleasure thought
    That is pricey, but I bet it works! It pays to shop around. You can buy a filter for under €10!

koolkid:
    Eircom are OTT here
    Many people depend on broadband and would find a serious drop in speed such as that as unacceptable.

I installed an Astec panel (63D) and found that when the panel was connected (with no filter) the broadband was less than 30% of the speed when the panel was removed from the phone line. I installed a broadband filter and staright away the speed was back up to 100%.

• Advertisement

Koolkid:
    Once line seizure is in place , when the dialler takes the line the DSL drops off as the line is disconnected from the modem. When the call is complete the dialler hangs up , the line reconnects to the modem & DSL syncs again.
    All of this is correct.
    However the problem is that the voltage monitoring of the phoneline (to see if it is cut) with many alarm panels (such as the Astec 63D, 63DV, 43D, 43DV) causes interference with the DSL frequency, slowing down the broadband connection. Astec have now addressed this problem with their new panel.

Koolkid:
    My own alarm is on a DSL line with 8 meg BB.
    I regularly max out my connection but have never had any issue with speeds or interference.
    My motto is this business has always been if its not broken dont fix it.
    Yes, but I bet it is an Astec Fusion and it has the built in filter as mentioned earlier, unlike the OP's dialler.

Its not actually its a 63D..!
    Changing to the Astec fusion invloves a little bit of painting/redecorating & the mrs isn't up for that at the moment.

Well I guess if it anit boken.....dont fix it! :)

Exactly...And certinly don't rip people off with something thats working

Koolkid:
    Exactly...And certinly don't rip people off
    Yes, I have to agree. The €150 Joey the lips had to pay was way over the top. At least it sorted out the problem for him. Nothing worse than paying for a fast connection and getting a slow one!

I took the same view as Koolkid and made these changes for free when needed.

Advertisement