Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NECK SEALS

• 14-04-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I need a new neck seal for my membrane dry-suit. I have always had a latex seal. I seem to change it every second year and it is always letting in some water.
    I wonder would a neoprene be any better? Will it last longer and will it be more water-proof?

Who does the best job and cost the least?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Where are you based? Most dive shops should do it for you. Alt if you're (quite) adept, you can potentially do it yourself.
    I use a neoprene seal with my (neoprene) suit, I find it really comfortable and doesn't let any water in as long as it's folded correctly. My dad uses a neoprene seal on his membrane suit for years, he's not had problems, as long as the jointing is done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

2 years is about right for latex seals, if you are cleaning properly and use talc every dive then they may last longer.
    Also if the suit is'nt an exact fit it can put strain on your neck seal and it eventually gives way.
    I use Paul at Beara Diving, he does a good job and will have your suit back in a couple of days. Obviously you will have to post it to him but its not expensive
    Check the link, http://www.bearadiving.com/dry.htm

Denis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

I previously had a neoprene and was delighted with it. It ripped one day and i replaced it with latex. The neoprene was a lot more comfortable to wear during a days diving. The latex can leave red "lynch marks" if left on for more than a few hours. I'll be changing back to neoprene when the latex gives in.

If you are anywhere near Drogheda the Scubashop will do you a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

The latex can leave red "lynch marks" if left on for more than a few hours.

Is that a latex allergy or is it something else?. I get it a lot too, neck only not wrists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Is that a latex allergy or is it something else?. I get it a lot too, neck only not wrists...

I think it is because Latex has to be a little bit tighter than a neoprene seal and because of the rings or lines that run around the latex can cause chaffing, especially if there is stubble there.

Neoprene all the way, neck and wrist.

1. more comfortable,
    2. will last longer, especially if dealing with boats. You get petrol on latex and it won't last two weeks.
    3. can prevent neck injuries. if you havn't got a warm collar with latex can lead to pulling muscle in your neck/shoulder due to exposure to cold. Not with Neoprene
    4 generally much harder wearing and needs less maintenance.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

murrayp4 wrote: »

It's basically due to chaffing and will occur after a couple of hours once the talk has been perspired or washed off. It is worse on the neck seal as there is more movement in your neck than your wrists.

Advertisement