Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies, do you wear skirts/dresses

Options
  • 14-04-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Its been years since i wore a skirt or a dress. I would have been a child last time i wore a dress. I was traumaised in secondary school with the school uniform skirt - it was horrible. So i've been wearing pants (shorts in summer) since I was about 13.

Theres a few family functions coming up and will need to buy some new outfits so will probably go for the usual that is a pair of jeans and a fancy top. I've seen some nice skirts and dresses recently in the shops and dont think I'd be able to wear them. I'd be afraid that I'd be laughed out from the place if I appeared in a skirt or a dress.

So just wondering, if theres anybody here that used to always wear pants and likes and then started to wear skirts or dresses from time to time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Why don't you buy a maxi dress? They're the ones that come down to your ankles & I have to say look fantastic. So you're still wearing a dress without showing too much leg & you have less chance of it getting caught in your knickers.
    Personally I've always worn dresses & skirts but my sister has a slight phobia about them. Since I introduced her to the wonders of the maxi dress she hasn't looked back. She recently wore a skirt that came to her knee, which might not sound like much to some people but for her it was a big thing.
    Start off with whatever makes you comfortable & knock everyone elses socks off by looking amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

hardly ever wear a skirt meself - fe*king kilts back in the day that would go all which way on a windy day put me off for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

love skirts & dresses but dont wear them that much. i think there much more flattering. I always feel smarter wearing a skirt to work or on a night out. I think you do need a bit more confidence in yourself wearing them as you do get more attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I wear a skirt or dress 5/6 days a week. I can't seem to find any new nice jeans lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Only at weddings. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Last time i wore a skirt - 4 years ago this thursday at on my sisters wedding (very precise)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I used always just wear trousers/jeans until I was about 25/26, then got into wearing skirts and dresses.

Most of my work clothes are skirts or dresses now, more than half my suits are skirt suits, and I've five wrap dresses I wear for work as well.

If I am going to any social function that is any way dressy I would tend almost always now to wear a dress.

It did take a while to get used to, you may find OP that people are very complimentary to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

I don't feel really comfortable into them.. but when I wear a casual dress with jeans, evrika!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I wear dresses a lot, saves time because the dress is the outfit, no matching up of tops and trousers required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 In Touch

I have found that a lot of Girls and Ladies who were more secure with fashion and didn't think of them as personal sexual objects were happy back in the 80's wearing skirts and dresses. Times have changed a lot since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I really like wearing skirts for some reason but on most nights out with the girls though, it's jeans or other smart pants ... the only dresses that I wear are the little black dresses for himself.

At the end of the day though it is about personal comfort :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 In Touch

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I really like wearing skirts for some reason but on most nights out with the girls though, it's jeans or other smart pants ... the only dresses that I wear are the little black dresses for himself.

At the end of the day though it is about personal comfort :)

Personal comfort is an inner feeling that has to be embraced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I can't actually honestly remember the last time I wore a skirt or dress.

I like my lower legs but I hate my knees (weird, I know, but I've a rather sizeable scar on one of them) so I just wear jeans all the time. I would never have the confidence to pull off a skirt or dress without at least opaque tights or leggings, but I've just got in the habit of wearing jeans so I don't bother with those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I was the same- horrible skirt in school so never wore them. I wear them every now and again, more funky dresses going out type. Just have the confidence to wear them and everyone will be looking at your pins!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do wear them from time to time, but to be honest I don't feel entirely comfortable in them. It's hard to explain why, they just don't feel right on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Mainly it's the fact that I can't wear runners with skirts/dresses that puts me off.

I have yet to find a pair of girly shoes that don't make me want to just chop off my feet and go for broke. This includes a pair of ballet flats from Clarks. I'm doomed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

OP, go for the change!! If you see stuff you like try it on, get a second opinion from a mate if you can to be 100% sure its good for you and then wear it with style. Most likely people will only think you look good, have gone for a change and will definitely not think you're weird.

I've personally gone through a jeans phase, skirt only, then slacks only. Now I am in some sort of healthy middle between the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Xiney wrote: »
    I have yet to find a pair of girly shoes that don't make me want to just chop off my feet and go for broke.
    Same here... I live in my black boots, skate shoes and old running shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm kind of the opposite. All throughout my childhood I had to be forced into dresses and skirts for occasions, I just would not wear them. It's only in the last 6 months or so I've started even looking at these, although up until now I've had the safety net of my tights.

But I can't wait for the Summer, and holidays when I can wear lots of pretty summer dresses and flip-flops! I've never worn a Summer dress by choice, I always chose shorts, so I shall enjoy shopping for this Summer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Mainly it's the fact that I can't wear runners with skirts/dresses that puts me off.

I have yet to find a pair of girly shoes that don't make me want to just chop off my feet and go for broke. This includes a pair of ballet flats from Clarks. I'm doomed.

Is this Lily Allen?!

I actually hate high shoes. No matter how much I spend on the feckers I can never seem to walk in them. So I end up with bloody, blistered feet or I end up walking like Quaisi Modo with a pain in his back.
    I hate high heels but because I'm a little bit short I feel I have to wear them to make me slightly taller. Usually by the end of the night I resemble a hunched Peg Sayers, without the black & misery ( only sometimes ).

Which is why the maxi dress is my new best friend. It's so long I can wear flat sandals without feeling like a hobit from Lord of the Rings.

I don't know about anyone else but if I attempt to wear a short dress with flat shoes I tend to look like Frodo's slightly less hairy female cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I didn't wear skirts or dresses for years. All through school I just hated them and hated wearing them but in the last few months I've started making a conscious effort to wear them more. Wear them with flats during the day and sometimes heels at night. I'm starting to love them but I'm still more inclined towards twousers. I like wearing dresses and skirts but there's still nothing more comfortable than getting into a pair of jeans.

Edit: I only have one truly comfortable pair of heels. They only cost me about 30quid but they have an ankle strap and lots of straps around the toes. I'm so firmly strapped in that they're like wearing real shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Very rarely.

This will sound a bit weird but I hate the feeling of my legs touching off each other! Even with tights! So I pretty much always wear (fairly baggy) jeans.

Also I hate high heels with a passion (what genius thought putting women up on stilts was a good idea?!?) and don't even really like the aforementioned ballet shoes so there's another reason why I don't wear skirts or dresses.

Having said all that, I bought a couple of shirt dresses that I am hoping to wear on my holidays which are not terribly girly, and will probably look good with my Vans. Himself will probably keel over in shock when he sees me in a dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I always wear dresses when I go out. I love pretty dresses :D Kinda feel underdressed if I don't wear a dress out. I'm in jeans and trackie bottoms in work all week so I like to get dolled up at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I tried to buy a dress at the weekend and was reminded of the reason why I NEVER wear skirts or dresses... all I can see is my big hips when I put one on and I just think it looks so ugly.

Like OP I too would love to wear skirts now for a change from slacks every day but just don't have the confidence!

If anyone has suggestions of shapes to wear to hide my child bearing hips I would love to hear! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

ecaf wrote: »
    I tried to buy a dress at the weekend and was reminded of the reason why I NEVER wear skirts or dresses... all I can see is my big hips when I put one on and I just think it looks so ugly.

Like OP I too would love to wear skirts now for a change from slacks every day but just don't have the confidence!

If anyone has suggestions of shapes to wear to hide my child bearing hips I would love to hear! :(

Empire Line. In at the waist and flows out. Perfect for your figure and there's loads of dresses out there in that shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

liah wrote: »
    I like my lower legs but I hate my knees (weird, I know, but I've a rather sizeable scar on one of them) so I just wear jeans all the time.

I hate my knees too! They're chubby. Not that the rest of me isn't chubby as well (:D) but I think my knees are disproportionately chubby.

ecaf wrote: »

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Empire Line. In at the waist and flows out. Perfect for your figure and there's loads of dresses out there in that shape.

Yup, empire line! Ones that cinch in under the bust and flow out from there. Very flattering on the hips!

EDIT: Forgot to actually answer the question :o

Yes, I do wear lots of dresses... love them! Make me feel very girly and sexy and dressed up - I find the alternative for me is just a top and jeans, which isn't fancy enough for me on a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I wear dresses more than skirts, but I like them. Mostly funky kind of ones that don't look too dressed up, but I have a half dozen other "dressy" ones too that get recycled for weddings and parties and stuff.

I'd wear dresses more often in work except that I cycle to work and jeans are easier.

What I hate is being accused of being all dolled up when I am just wearing a dress instead of jeans! I can be more dressed up in jeans and a top sometimes, but if you put on a dress, everyone thinks it's a special occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I never really wore dresses until the last few months. mainly cause i hate my legs. but ive lost some weight recently & my confidence has gotten a little boost with that, so i went mad & bought a dress just before christmas and now im obsessed.

wearing a dress makes me feel pretty & girly, not to mention how much easier it is to throw on a dress & youre done! no mixing & matching etc. however its been far easier to wear dresses over winter thanks to the wonderful things called tights. i still hate my legs. theyre white white white, which is fine, except i bruise way too easily so theyre constantly covered in bruises (i really dont know where they come from), and tights hide it all. dont know if ill be so eager to get my legs out in the summer (although the way the weathers going i might still be wearing my tights)

in the summer: flipflops :D theres always lots of pretty flipflops available that you can wear with dresses & skirt. if we had the weather..

i looove high pretty shoes but i know ill be hating them after a couple of hours so for now i always keep a pair of flat pumps in my bag on nights out for emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

During colder months I live in skirts and black tights, during warmer weather I wear light trousers or long skirts. My legs are a good shape but they're sickly pale and don't tan, so my bare legs just don't actually look good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Love dresses and skirts. I do have shoe trouble. I would wear a skirt most days if I had pretty, non dressy shoes I could wear with one, easy enough done in the summer with sandals and the like, not so easy in the winter.

Advertisement