Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies, do you wear skirts/dresses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I love dresses but hate my legs! I have big calves and thick ankles (cankles!)!!
    My legs look ok when i wear high shoes so i always wear dresses on nights out, id wear dresses often enough during winter too with tights and boots!
    During the summer though i would find it difficult to pull off wearing a dress during the day unless i was going somewhere nice and could wear high shoes with it!!
    I cannot wear flat shoes and dresses though my legs look so ugly! :( Maxi dresses have been a godsend, I love them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Xiney wrote: »
    Mainly it's the fact that I can't wear runners with skirts/dresses that puts me off.

I have yet to find a pair of girly shoes that don't make me want to just chop off my feet and go for broke. This includes a pair of ballet flats from Clarks. I'm doomed.

You could wear converse. I wear skirts pretty much everyday. Jeans and trousers look dreadful on me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wore dresses and skirts pretty much all winter this year. It's so cosy with the tights and boots :) Since it's starting to get warmer I'm back in jeans as I don't want to be wearing dark tights in the sun and I dislike leggings. When it's really 'summer', the skirts will make a show again.
    I usually wear body-con skirts or dress on nights out, sometimes shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm another one who's gone through phases. When I was very young, I only wore dresses. I refused to wear pants of any kind! I just wanted frilly dresses. As a teenager and in my early twenties, I usually wore pants or jeans. Dresses just felt too much like dressing up.
    But now, I love dresses and skirts. I have a mixture of work clothes so I can't really say I'm always in pants or always in dresses or skirts for work. However, outside of work, especially in the spring and summer, I'm usually in a dress or skirt. I find pants - especially jeans - constricting. I love the freedom of bare legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I love cute denim skirts, and casual day dressed, haven't got many going out ones. I personally can't really understand why someone would stop wearing them due to an ugly school uniform. Most school uniforms are ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

I love skirts! I wear them every Saturday night. I have about 20 of them! I wear trousers and jeans all week so it's nice to get glammed up on a Saturday night. I only have about 3 dresses which I keep for special occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm so surprised at the number of people who feel uncomfortable in skirts! I'm pretty much in a skirt all summer long. I'd love to wear more dresses to work but I find it a bit more difficult to find casual summer dresses for the office. during the winter though, my legs get too cold even with tights -- so by the time summer rolls around, I'm more than happy to live in skirts and flip flops!
    ecaf wrote: »
    If anyone has suggestions of shapes to wear to hide my child bearing hips I would love to hear! :(

Another flattering cut for almost everyone are A-line skirts/dresses. They're shaped like a triangle, so they ease away from the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I wear dresses pretty much all the time, unless I'm in a lazy mood and then I wear jeans. I'm lucky that I can wear whatever I want within reason at work so all the dresses I own (and I own far far too many) can be worn to work and on days off.

The one problem I have with dresses or skirts is that I will never wear them without tights or over the knee socks. I just don't feel comfortable. I would suggest that if can find a dress or a skirt that you're comfortable in then wear it, but if not then stick with your jeans. There's very little point in wearing something that you're not comfortable in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TheDollyParton

I never used to wear dresses but in the last year I find they're ALL I wear at the weekend. I used to hate my legs but the more I got them out the more confident I felt about them, last week I wore a short dress with no tights! Massive departure for me. Shoes are an issue, but if you look hard enough you probably will find a pair of low heels that look good with a dress that are comfortable, I've found the height that suits me and now wear heels a good bit. Also, wedges are a good way to wear high shoes with stability. Basically I guess what I'm saying is, I was never comfortable until I started wearing them, and now I love it. Makes me feel really sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

not everyday but always when i go out... i love dresses!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I almost always wear skirts or dresses. I just feel more comfortable in them.
    Pants usually annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Unless I'm on a horse, I'm wearing a skirt or a dress.

I don't own a pair of jeans, I don't like trousers, and I struggle to find ones long enough in the leg anyway.

I don't find the way I dress impractical, and I'm equally happy in flat or heeled shoes. I just prefer a more feminine look.

Most people know me for a length of time before they even notice, but often if I tell someone (usually women!) my preferences, they look at me like I'm from another planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wear skirts and dresses all the time. I would never have worn them in school (except when wearing the uniform, lol) but I find they fit much better. I have trouble finding trousers that fit me but a skirt nearly always will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love skirts and dresses but I have two problems:

1. It's generally to cold to wear them without tights, and if it's warm enough, there's the issue of my see-through ghost-like legs;
    2. I sometimes feel frumpy in a skirt and flat shoes, but I don't wear heels on a day-to-day basis.

So i tend to just resort to jeans a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have always tended to wear dresses, though I do own and wear several pairs of jeans. I wear a lot of empire line dresses as I have a large chest and I feel that it minimises them, also V-necks dresses for the same reason but I also have several slinky dresses, some "corset dresses" and a lot of mini-dresses. While I am a tomboy in my profession I tend to dress very girly. I use a lot of opaque tights or else go bare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Faith wrote: »
    if it's warm enough, there's the issue of my see-through ghost-like legs
    Same here, so I always wear long skirts in the warm weather - I'm chuffed maxi-dresses have come back.

1. It's generally to cold to wear them without tights, and if it's warm enough, there's the issue of my see-through ghost-like legs
    Dudess wrote: »
    Same here, so I always wear long skirts in the warm weather - I'm chuffed maxi-dresses have come back.

I'm the same. I only realised recently just how pale I am. I'm practically see through. So wearing skirts and dresses in warm weather is something that I've never been able to figure out. I think I'm probably too short for maxi-dresses. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I think I'm too broad for maxi-dresses :(.

I was wearing a pair of shorts as pyjamas a while back, and I walked into my flatmate's room and she shrieked "Haha, look how white your legs are!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I never used to wear dresses that much atall up until about a year and a half a go i guess... just found its much easier when going out. Its the outfit.There.Sorted! and im alot more comfortable in them now if im going out. I would be alot more self concious about looking good if i was in jeans and a top. Doesnt help that my friends i go out with all wear dresses and skirts. I wouldnt feel as dressed up going out with them if i wasnt in a dress or skirt! Happy Coincidence that im comfortable in them!

OP maybe you could try grey or black tights or leggings with whatever the dress is that your wearing and flat pumps?

Yeah, I think I'm too broad for maxi-dresses :(.

I was wearing a pair of shorts as pyjamas a while back, and I walked into my flatmate's room and she shrieked "Haha, look how white your legs are!".

Aren't flatmates great like that? :D Meh, I like being white. It just poses problems when it's sunny, which is not very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Dont worry girls, i am transparent im so pale. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Me too :( I'm wearing a skirt right now coz it's sunny but then I'm wearing tights with it to cover my pasty legs so there's not much point like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me three, I get laughed at if I'm wearing shorts while running because my legs are milkbottle-white.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My sisters wedding in August was the last time I wore a skirt/dress since school. I didn't go to my debs...mostly because I didn't want to wear a dress. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ill wear skirts and dresses when im going out but not during the days normally.

i live in jeans an t-shirts and i hate carrying bags and skirts generally dont have pockets.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I wear dresses a lot, saves time because the dress is the outfit, no matching up of tops and trousers required.

+1

I wear dresses most of the time.

A friend of mine who is 32 never wore dresses until bout 2 years ago and now wears them all the time and loves buying new dresses. I think anyone can wear a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

I think anyone can wear a dress.

I wish my legs would listen and look good with a dress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yeah, I love skirts and dresses . The only trouble is jeans are just much more practical when going to college/running around the place. I love pencil skirts and a nice top, with massive heels, on a night out, I call it the 'sexy secretary' look. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Acacia wrote: »
    Yeah, I love skirts and dresses . The only trouble is jeans are just much more practical when going to college/running around the place. I love pencil skirts and a nice top, with massive heels, on a night out, I call it the 'sexy secretary' look. :P

Sexetary. Giggidy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Yes, all the time - more than jeans probably. I love them, especially dresses. Instant outfit, as other posters said. I find pencil skirts in particular a great alternative to suits for meetings at work, while still being appropriately smart.

Advertisement