Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall without foundation please

Options
  • 14-04-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'm redoing my back yard, old concrete is up, new drive-in shed is built and all whats left is to re-concrete the 18' wide area to the front of the shed and also build a dividing wall to one side of the concrete which will separate my neighbours property from mine. Thing is, the ground between the two properties is poor, a backfilled ditch filled with rubbish in the early 80s, but thats where I want my cavity block wall.

The previous owners had put a breeze block wall there and what remains of that is the subsided foundations which I'm trying to get out without a machine coz I'm a scab and its 2009. Every 5 mins I try and find a reason not to be bothered but I really would prefer a block wall.

Anyway, I built the shed on a concrete raft. Can I do similar with the garden wall? i.e. it possible to build my wall straight off the concrete driveway, if I pour the concrete right out to the property line. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

if your not going to remove the old foundation dig a new one next to it. or dig up a strip of the driveway and make a foundation there. if you build it on the driveway it could sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

my sisters dividing wall was built on a poor foundation . New block and plaster wall has a 1" crack in it now 3 years later. .

Ask a Block layer in this situation. they will know the craic and not charge ya for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Digging out filled ground for a foundation can work out very expensive.To be safe, you would need to lay concrete on original ground,don't know how deep you have to dig.
    A cheaper and easier option might be concrete posts and plinths,cost about E15 each and a timber panel between. 1 post ,1 plinth, 1 6ft timber panel,depending on price can work out roughly E60- E70 every 2 meters, cheaper than blockwork and any handy man would be capable of erecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

qc3 wrote: »
    Digging out filled ground for a foundation can work out very expensive.To be safe, you would need to lay concrete on original ground,don't know how deep you have to dig.
    A cheaper and easier option might be concrete posts and plinths,cost about E15 each and a timber panel between. 1 post ,1 plinth, 1 6ft timber panel,depending on price can work out roughly E60- E70 every 2 meters, cheaper than blockwork and any handy man would be capable of erecting

perfect idea. I have the same dividing my garden.

pannels are 20- 30 euro to replace every 10 years to keep it fresh looking. Or a very good lick of paint every 3.

Advertisement