Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help dog constantly pulling when walking

Options
  • 14-04-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey all

Looking for some advice please, as the title states my 8 month old pup is constantly pulling on his lead while walking. We have done some training with him in the back garden and he is fine on his lead. However its a different story when we go out on the road, he is constantly pulling and dragging which results in him gasping for breath by the end of the walk. One night it got so bad that his mouth got stuck and I had to open his mouth so he could breath.

He is walked every day so I cant understand it. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice greatly appreciated.

SJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Have you tried a body lead for walks? It means that they are pulling with their chest rather than their throat, and is easier for you to control. Depending on the breed (and shape of snout in particular) you can also get head collars that will make the dog go round in circles if it tries to pull, so it learns not to.

Other than that, the usual training advice about lead-pulling would apply - walk the dog around in a circle or head off in the opposite direction every time he pulls, reward him for walking nicely, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a great lead called a Pleasure Walker - they have it in Breffni House pet shop in Windy Arbour. A collar, with rings on front and back that allow a harness to be drawn over the front legs. It seems to make dogs feel more secure and happy.

The other thing is to walk him in a park earlyish in the morning, when leads are generally not mandatory, and let him run the kinks out of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

Hi ya,

I had a similar problem with my three dogs and purchased 3 canny collars that were recommended to me. I did buy them from Dogtrainingireland.ie but I don't see them on their site at the moment. The collar was amazing and after using it for a while, my three now know not to pull and I don't have to use them very often anymore.

If I am out with just their ordinary collars and one of them starts to pull, I lift their collar high up on their neck, like a dog in the show ring and it stops them pulling too.

I did have an array of body harnasses but found they were able to pull more with their whole bodies behind the harness instead of just their necks. Though Suzi is built like a little steam train so maybe thats why! :D

Hope this helps,
    Igglou

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

My fella, Ben, used to to pull alot when we first got him. So we bought a halti which solved the problem of him pulling because it pull his head to one side and tightens around his mouth making it uncomfortable, but he still wanted to walk a few steps in front of me. I didn't want him to start thinking he was the one in control, so now I wrap the 6 ft lead around my hand a few times so he only has about 2.5 ft, and he walks beside me perfectly, sometimes he nudges my leg when walking as if to say "see how good i am, I think I deserve a treat!".

We usually give him 30 mins off lead in the football pitches, then 30 mins on for a walk around, so he has expended most of energy. Whatever device you use has to suited to your dog, since Ben is a rottie X, the body harness wouldn't have worked since he has too much power in his shoulders, plus we were told by the DSPCA that dog wardens accept Halti as muzzels, so he is used to it now because we use it everyday.

But the wrapping the lead around your hand really does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For some reason when we feed the lead between my dogs front legs and out the side between her front and hind legs she doesn't pull at all. She slows and walks perfectly! Worth a try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

olaola wrote: »
    For some reason when we feed the lead between my dogs front legs and out the side between her front and hind legs she doesn't pull at all. She slows and walks perfectly! Worth a try?

LOL That's fiendish but I'm not sure how practical it is for many breeds. The 'gentle leaders' (the ones that take the dog round in a circle if it pulls) seem to be pretty effective. With my boxer pup I basically just gave up on the idea of getting anywhere on the walk for a few days and stopped or changed direction when I felt tugging - he started improving within a matter of days but even still needs constant reminding though less so than he did. I use finger clicks now to remind him if he starts to tug and he falls back into place.

I like the idea of being able to use a regular lead with him as I may not always have a gentle leader to hand plus I think that the training builds focus from your dog on you when you are out together which can be useful in unexpected situations where you need to get their attention.

I have used the wrapping the lead around the hand thing too but you need the right lead. Also, depending on the dog, you could be risking wrist injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Could you not just teach him to walk to heel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

.. It think it's help with the teaching the the OP is looking for.

I can't really help only to say you are not alone. My Cocker is a demon and the only thing that really seems to work is getting my OH to walk him as he sees him as the top dog I guess. I'm too soft I guess. I've started walking him up hill as he can't pull me then. It's great for me too as I'm getting better excercise.

I would give you one tip though, don't try to train him when he's full of beans. As one of the earlier poster suggested perhaps you could bring him to a field/park where he can run for a bit and get his energy down. Or we play catch with him in the garden when he's bouncy. When he's lost interest in the ball then hook him up and do some reward based to heel training in the garden. All the trainers say don't leave the garden until he's walking to heel but that's not practical when your pooch needs a walk. Just try and be consistant when you go out.

The turning in the opp direction does actually work, but be carefull to turn counter clockwise and then clockwise -- you'll get dizzy:)

Practise practise practise is what I've heard. My guy is nearly 2 and I'm still at it. Not sure that's encouragement .. but keep at it, you'll get there.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SJ2008

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies, plenty of food for thought there. I think I will try the canny or the haltie collars and see where we go from there.

Thanks again.

SJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SJ2008

He may be afraid of the cars. Try using a short lead and keep him right beside you for a while and then he'll get used to it.

Actually when I think about he is a lot worse when cars are passing.. the lead I have is probably about 4Ft, might try a shorter lead.. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Makes sense to have a shorter lead alright, if he's so far ahead of you that he can't see you, you are likely to be soon forgotten :)

Advertisement