Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity bag packers in Tescos

Options
  • 14-04-2009 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I am not a fan of charity in the slightest - in fact, I believe it cuases more harm than it does good, for the simple fact that it allows those responsible for looking after those who can't look after themselves, to pick & choose what we give & when we give it, when really what we should give is all that is needed. By "those responsible", I mean us, as a society & by the simple fact that there is a need for charities, means that we have failed in our responsibilities.

So, that's the reason I don't donate to charities. The difficulty is though, is those kids who pack your bags in supermarkets. They were in Tescos today & I find it impossible NOT to donate. I mean, I'm hardly gonna stand there arguing my philosophy regarding charities to a teenager, while a queue of people behind me get irate because I'm holding them up.

And if that wasn't bad enough, they never ever have a clue how to even pack the feckin' bags because they've never had to do their own grocery shopping. And then you feel obliged to pay them for the botch job.

I feel like I'm turning into Jack Dee. Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I totaly agree.

I on the other hand have no problems to tell them I pack my own bags and don't feel bad at all when I don't give them a penny. I don't like the way they try to pressurise with kids and putting you on the spot. Tesco's could just leave 1 or 2 tills without the packers, so you have a choice.

Never gave to charity and never will. You are never sure where your money goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sports Clubs, Scouts, Animal Welfare, that type of thing - I think fair play, they haven't a notion how to pack a shopping bag, but their trying.

A charity helping towards our own health care that our government (i.e. Us) should pay for then, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

This reminds me of the thread that was here before about chuggers and churgulars

Big_Mac wrote: »
    This reminds me of the thread that was here before about chuggers and churgulars

Shhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Now, I am not a fan of charity in the slightest - in fact, I believe it cuases more harm than it does good, for the simple fact that it allows those responsible for looking after those who can't look after themselves, to pick & choose what we give & when we give it, when really what we should give is all that is needed. By "those responsible", I mean us, as a society & by the simple fact that there is a need for charities, means that we have failed in our responsibilities.

So, that's the reason I don't donate to charities. The difficulty is though, is those kids who pack your bags in supermarkets. They were in Tescos today & I find it impossible NOT to donate. I mean, I'm hardly gonna stand there arguing my philosophy regarding charities to a teenager, while a queue of people behind me get irate because I'm holding them up.

And if that wasn't bad enough, they never ever have a clue how to even pack the feckin' bags because they've never had to do their own grocery shopping. And then you feel obliged to pay them for the botch job.

I feel like I'm turning into Jack Dee. Rant over.

I agree with everything you said.

You know there is a place for ranting and raving these days.
    Its over here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I was in there today, they were collecting for Nial Mellon's housing fund..
    I think they should be collecting for Irish charities at the mo, with the state the country is in... charity begins at home

Madge wrote: »
    they were collecting for Nial Mellon's housing fund..

Ehh who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

He's the guy who set up the township fund; builds houses for the poor in places like Africa. He brings a contingent of Irish builders, plumbers with him etc. My uncle went out one year

Ah that's right. I knew I knew the name but I just didn't know where from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said.

You know there is a place for ranting and raving these days.
    Its over here

I've ranted & raved in the "Ranting & Raving" section quite a few times. It's an age thing! However, what got me ranting & raving this time was something that happened today in town, so it's well within the remit of the Sligo forum charter.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

There are so many homeless people in Ireland . Theres no need to travel so far away but I suppose there would be no noteriety in that. Big ego.....

Sports Clubs, Scouts, Animal Welfare, .

Strictly speaking, these aren't charities, though having seen some local football teams playing, I might have to stretch the definition of "charity case". :D

I am quite surprised though, that there seems to be a general agreement on the charity issue - I had a similar discussion a while back on a forum & got a completely different reaction. There was general horror towards my point of view.

And Dareatulip - yer a hardass... I can never do that!

I've ranted & raved in the "Ranting & Raving" section quite a few times. It's an age thing! However, what got me ranting & raving this time was something that happened today in town, so it's well within the remit of the Sligo forum charter.;)

I never said it wasn't ok to post it in the Sligo forum and I have no problem with it been here...why would I after all.
    I only mentioned the Ranting and Raving thread incase you hadn't known about it and wanted to post there aswell.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I never said it wasn't ok to post it in the Sligo forum and I have no problem with it been here...why would I after all.
    I only mentioned the Ranting and Raving thread incase you hadn't known about it and wanted to post there aswell.

Sorry - I picked you up wrong there.

Alfasud wrote: »
    There are so many homeless people in Ireland . Theres no need to travel so far away but I suppose there would be no noteriety in that. Big ego.....

I think it's more of a lack of social / political awareness than egotism. Most teenagers don't know their elbow from their other elbow. Sadly, that often carries on into adulthood, which is why we end up with the fools we have running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I really hate having the bag packers there. I have to pack my own bags, everything has to be in the bags a certain way, but I feel so bad telling them I want to pack my own bag!
    I agree with having a few tills without the bag packers there.
    Will complaining to tescos do any good?? I doubt they'd listen to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

tbh...chucking a bit of loose change in a bucket, in the possibility that it may benefit someone else never really bothered me.

dardevle wrote: »

tbh...chucking a bit of loose change in a bucket, in the possibility that it may benefit someone else never really bothered me.

I'm glad to hear that the crumbs off your table feeds the starving masses, houses them, educates them & provides them with health care. You must be very happy about that.

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I really hate having the bag packers there. I have to pack my own bags, everything has to be in the bags a certain way, but I feel so bad telling them I want to pack my own bag!

At the risk of sounding nuerotic, I have to say that I agree with you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in a super market and you often get complaints about the bag packers for one thing or another. I have often sent the whole lot home.

If you complain about a particular packer, they will take action but complaining about the whole practice might be a bit harder.

The back lash can be mighty though.

If you don't give an organization a date they will advise all the parents not to shop in your store. I know, I heard my brother's GAA coach say it.

When it works well, it's great but I always pack my own bags, even in Super Quinn with packes who know what their doing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

+1 absolutely agree ffs

I have no problem letting the kids pack my bags in my local Dunnes. They are normally great kids, very polite and there they are getting out of their comfort zones and doing something for whatever charity.
    I give to certain charities and avoid others like the plague as I know how the money gets spent.
    Whether society as a device has failed or not is not really the issue for me. I personally think society is a bit fuucked anyways. But that does not take away from the fact that there are people and animals out there in absolute dire straits. They need help and rely on charity and altruistic efforts.
    Which leads me to my final point. How many of us actually get out and help by getting our hands dirty? Its far to easy to chuck some coins at someone and feel good about ourselves, but that aint no good to our elderly neighbor who desperately needs someone to call just for a chat, or for that animal who is being beaten and starved in our neighborhood.

I'm glad to hear that the crumbs off your table quote]

maybe you best read the post again...it was the loose change from my pocket that does'nt really bother me, again thats just my opinion, which clearly differs from yours,but nonetheless......;)

I'm glad to hear that the crumbs off your table quote]

maybe you best read the post again...it was the loose change from my pocket that does'nt really bother me, again thats just my opinion, which clearly differs from yours,but nonetheless......;)

I read your post. I understood it. Your loose change IS the crumbs from the table. You may differ, but the facts remain the same.

I read your post. I understood it. Your loose change IS the crumbs from the table. You may differ, but the facts remain the same.
    And "having the option" is part of the source of the problem.

perhaps my view differs from yours because i have had occasion in the past to need help from some of these organisations and have been greatful for any help that we recieved....and as such this does'nt allow me a lofty perch from where i can generalise about every one of these organisations and the volunteers who work on behalf of them....
    i would much rather give the crumbs that i can/cannot afford and thank them(not necessarily for the way they pack the bags).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

so you find it normal that kids are used to raise funds? This is done on purpose because it's easier to say no to an adult. extortsion spring to mind. For me it's a extra reason not to give.

And as mentioned above I really want everything packed in a certain way. Mrs.T calls it OCD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I don't really mind....yes they do pack the bags badly, but it's not just kids that do that.
    I had a woman pack my bag once and put all the non freezer stuff in the freezer bag....
    anyway what shocked me was there was a group in Duunes packing bags once, a nice little lad was helping my mum and I said he was great for giving up his Saturday to raise money for his club, he said he didn't mind they each got 50 euro for helping:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

A lot of Charities are recognised Civic partners by the Government and receive Government funding to fulfill a need in society.

A lot of Charities use your donation to campaign for policy change to end the injustices and current failures by this State or other states around the world

Encouraging young people or older people for that matter to have a sense of social awareness and get together to help others is positive.

If you don't want to give money to Charity, there are lots of ways to contribute to your local community with your time..

Yes, they do pack bags very poorly, but there are worse things to give out about

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

magnumlady wrote: »
    they each got 50 euro for helping:eek:

:eek: OMG I hope it was a bribe from his parents to get him to do it!

• Advertisement

My daughters school does it. I don't think a primary school should have to get the kids to pack bags for money. If we keep paying, the government don't have to.

With all due respect to the school, which is brilliant, they need to lobby more, pack less.

Advertisement