Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

illegal to wear helmet off bike?

• 14-04-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

so my friend was telling me the guards got onto him for wearing his helmet whilst standing on the side of the street waiting for someone to pick him up, a bit miffed by this i thought id ask here is what he was doing even illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

standing on the side of a street wearing a helmet, with no bike?

not illegal but dodgy as feck! like walking into a bank wearing a balaclava

what did the cops do when you say 'got on to him'? just talk to him? they'd be well right to imo. The old car break-in/mugging/shooting and jump onto a passing motorbike escape type crime etc.. Yer mate sounds a bit oblivious :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

weeder wrote: »
    so my friend was telling me the guards got onto him for wearing his helmet whilst standing on the side of the street waiting for someone to pick him up, a bit miffed by this i thought id ask here is what he was doing even illegal?
    The guard was doing his job just making sure he wasn't some scumbag there has been allot of gangland killings recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's not illegal but pretty silly to do, if someone is sitting with no bike in sight with a helmet on, the Guards were right to get onto them. He should just take it off in future its just going to bring too much unwanted attention to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Did your mate not feel stupid standing there with a lid on him and no bike in site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not "illegal" just suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

weeder wrote: »

He should have said it was his religion to wear motorcycle helmets at all times. They can't do anything then.

If not then the Gardai where only doing their job. Was he standing outside a shop of any type? Definitely a bit suspicious. Could he not have just rested it on his head courier style?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

seanybiker wrote: »
    Did your mate not feel stupid standing there with a lid on him and no bike in site.
    probably not if it was pissing rain :)

i will walk around the block to work w/ helmet and gloves still on if it's extra manky weather, but not into shops or hanging around outside banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

:confused: there are so many people programmed into thinking a guard has the 'right' to invade ones privacy

Maybe your friend is afraid in case he trips on the path and hits his head? Maybe he didnt want to get his head wet, maybe he was carrying other stuff and didnt wanna carry the helmet too. It doesnt matter, a guard has no right to detain you for standing still wearing a helmet. Gangland shootings me eye...next we'll think theyre doing their job for stopping all bikers because they could shoot someone while riding as well.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did your friend have a cold sore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

jmck87 wrote: »
    :confused: there are so many people programmed into thinking a guard has the 'right' to invade ones privacy

Maybe your friend is afraid in case he trips on the path and hits his head? Maybe he didnt want to get his head wet, maybe he was carrying other stuff and didnt wanna carry the helmet too. It doesnt matter, a guard has no right to detain you for standing still wearing a helmet. Gangland shootings me eye...next we'll think theyre doing their job for stopping all bikers because they could shoot someone while riding as well.
    Wtf where dose it say they detained him. Go drive around Dublin at 2am on a bike and you are almost guaranteed to be pulled over. The guards have a right to challenge anyone suspicious looking on the streets. Just because a guard asks you a few questions doesn't men your guilty of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The guard was just doing his job. Fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's not illegal to wear a helmet in a public place, the guard has the right to ask why he had it on, just like your friend has the right to explain that it's none of his business and ask him to move along there now please.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I see your point fella...civil liberites like. At the same time, if the Guard was friendly about it I wouldn't make an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

remember you could be wearing a helmet due to some mental disposition too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

None of the Garda's business to be honest.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Wtf where dose it say they detained him. Go drive around Dublin at 2am on a bike and you are almost guaranteed to be pulled over. The guards have a right to challenge anyone suspicious looking on the streets. Just because a guard asks you a few questions doesn't men your guilty of anything.

You're right...he didnt detain him as such. But its not right for a guard to have power to question you when clearly suspicion in this case is very subjective. At the end of the day a lad wearing a lid standing on the road isint disrupting the peace....whats garda siochana translate to again?
    Fabio wrote: »
    I see your point fella...civil liberites like. At the same time, if the Guard was friendly about it I wouldn't make an issue.

Me too....all depends on the nature of his approach....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jackhammer

when clearly suspicion in this case is very subjective.

Don't agree with you there, bud. Suspicion, by its very nature, is subjective. Just take a look at the comments on this thread. Some people think the bloke should have been challenged, others don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It's a garda's job to be suspicious!!
    I know if I saw someone standing at the side of the road with a helmet on but no bike I'd be asking what they were up to.
    DPP v's Turlock gives a Garda the power to ask a person anything!!

jackhammer wrote: »
    Don't agree with you there, bud. Suspicion, by its very nature, is subjective. Just take a look at the comments on this thread. Some people think the bloke should have been challenged, others don't.

Umm I get you.... but I dont think suspicion warrants interference meself....just my opinion
    It's a garda's job to be suspicious!!
    I know if I saw someone standing at the side of the road with a helmet on but no bike I'd be asking what they were up to.
    DPP v's Turlock gives a Garda the power to ask a person anything!!

They can ask anything....I can ask anything....but can they stop you walking away in silence? Some will think they deserve that right....not me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

....but can they stop you walking away in silence? Some will think they deserve that right....not me

Your spot on, but IF there had been an incident such as a bank robbery, 2 minutes after and the Guard didn't talk to that fella, then he'd certainly be disciplined for his in-action!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They can ask anything....I can ask anything....but can they stop you walking away in silence? Some will think they deserve that right....not me

No point in being a smartarse to a guard. Just answer his question and continue with your business is the simplest way of dealing with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Umm I get you.... but I dont think suspicion warrants interference meself....just my opinion

A bit of cop on is needed here me thinks, next time a Guard asks you a question, why not try walking away in silence?

Asking a couple of questions why you are standing around with a lid on without a bike is hardly interfering with civil liberties or anything.
    The guards do a lot of their work by questioning suspicious looking people, one only has to watch an episode or two of the cop show on Sky one to see how important it is to the work they do.

Advertisement