Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give up job for PHD?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am a graduate with more than five years experience in a professional field and am giving serious consideration to the thought of returning to education.
    I have a relatively small mortgage in today s terms, in my late twenties and thinking of heading back for two to three years to pursue a PHD.
    I reckon it might give me better opportunities at the end, but at the same time this would be a very, very big decision to make for a number of reasons.
    Firstly, the idea of going from being a full-time employee back to a student wouldn’t be easy to handle, most of my friends are starting to do the marriage/kids thing and while I am not at that stage yet, I do feel I should be earning more than I will be if I pursue the PHD.
    The other side of that is my current role, and many other positions in my industry are going nowhere, and I’d like to think this could lead to something better in a few years time.
    While the post may look a bit vague, to those of you who jumped out of the rat race for a time, how did you find it?!
    What I am working at right now isn’t working out and also from a tax point of view I reckon I’d be getting absolutely hammered while working in a job which doesn’t quite fulfill me.
    On an aside, will we see more people heading back to education and packing in jobs, with the increased/taxes and levies a contributory factor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

hey!
    I might be able to help you out a bit. I was feeling the same last year around june, and wanted to go back to do a phd. I was completely sick of the rat race adn didnt want to be a code monkey for the rest of my life so decided to go back and do it. I was only out of college abou 1 and a half years and still found it hard both money wise and the whole not having someone on your back all the time. The student buzz is gone, your kind of stuck in the nether regions of a student and actual working. I love it now though even though the first few months took some adjusting to.

If you think your job is going no where.. id defo do it. But make sure you will be working in an area you are intesreted in, or at the very least and area that appears to be real interesting.

Hope that helps:)

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Can you really do a Ph.D in two or three years? I thought it took a minimum of four...?

PS I am considering the same. I think it's a good move.

Yeah 3 year PhDs are possible. I know of someone who is a lecturer now who did their in a year and a half, but obviously for science-y (especially lab-based) subjects it simply wouldn't be possible to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fussyhussey

I'm sorry for being completely ignorant on this matter, but could I keep my job part time or with reduced hours? I am finished my taught post grad two years so have no supervisor or anything to discuss these ideas with. I spoke briefly with some peeps in works who figured I might even be sponsored and do some deal on my hours, is this possible or does it take full time hours for 3 years? I wouldn't be able to manage the wage loss due to personal commitments. My MA was part time too and I currently work a full and part time job so I think I could manage the time?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bonnie12

Hey did you go do the PHD in the end? i am in the exact same boat as you! Have been in industry for 5.5 years and am now late twenties and thinking of going back to do a phd. What did you decide in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

hey guys

I am in the same situation - although I decided to go back to do part time Phd and drop to part time hours in work. I am worried about money and making ends meet with the fees etc but I'm hoping its going to be worth it in the end!!!

I was dithering for ages about the decision, but I decided to go for it as I dont have any major bills at the moment and have no intentions of buying a house anytime soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

Bonnie12 wrote: »
    Hey did you go do the PHD in the end? i am in the exact same boat as you! Have been in industry for 5.5 years and am now late twenties and thinking of going back to do a phd. What did you decide in the end?

im thinking along the same lines. im in industry for 2 years and thinking strongly about doing a phd. what industries is everyone in?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Hi I got the five year itch last year as well. I was working in pharmaceuticals after finishing college. I drifted into it and it was ok for a long time but eventually I realised that it wasn't what I wanted. I looked at doing a phd in physics and was offered a funded research grant. With a full time job, mortgage pension fairly good pay it was a big decision to make. Thankfully I took up the offer in April last year. I have to say that if you think that you would enjoy research and self directed learning then I would strongly advise people to go for it. You live life once and if it is what you want to do then go for it. You will never have an opportunity like it. Yea its hard on the pocket and there will be day that you feel that things have gone wrong but on the whole it is very exciting and hugely challenging and satisfying. Sorry about the long rant. In short, if your up for the challenge of a life time and can get the funding then as nike would say, Just Do It. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

daragh8008 wrote: »
    Hi I got the five year itch last year as well. I was working in pharmaceuticals after finishing college. I drifted into it and it was ok for a long time but eventually I realised that it wasn't what I wanted. I looked at doing a phd in physics and was offered a funded research grant. With a full time job, mortgage pension fairly good pay it was a big decision to make. Thankfully I took up the offer in April last year. I have to say that if you think that you would enjoy research and self directed learning then I would strongly advise people to go for it. You live life once and if it is what you want to do then go for it. You will never have an opportunity like it. Yea its hard on the pocket and there will be day that you feel that things have gone wrong but on the whole it is very exciting and hugely challenging and satisfying. Sorry about the long rant. In short, if your up for the challenge of a life time and can get the funding then as nike would say, Just Do It. :)

good insight. i have already got the itch but its only a 2 year one. i think i would be well suited to a research environment, its just all the financial implications that come with embarking on a phd. then there is the fact that at the moment, it is quite difficult to secure funding

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I would advise everyone thinking about it to schedule a few meetings with potential advisors. They are very willing to meet with potential PhD students to discuss research ideas. You can also discuss wanting to graduate in a certain timeframe, job opportunities afterwards, industry interest in various research avenues etc. You can ask to be introduced to current students of that advisor and get candid information about the professor, the working environment, group collaboration and the research itself.

I did my Masters and then went straight into my PhD (electrical engineering). (I went abroad for my PhD). I went on a fact-finding tour of all the universities I applied to, interviewing professors and their students first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm also considering one for next year but I'm a bit reluctant as I would be
    nearly 30 by the time I finished! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

i wouldn't worry about that. I was nearly 30 when I started! If it something that you want to do don't wait till your too old then regret it.

Advertisement