Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Question & Food costs in Australia

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Folks

I’m goin to Australia in a week and my I’ve lost my credit card (long story!) and I need to know would my Laser Card which is also Maestro/Cirrcus, does that work in ATM’s in Australia??

Also I’ll be leaving on the cheap, how much would you expect to pay for a meal in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney?? Do they vary much? Also roughly speaking how much is a beer? In Australian dollars if that makes it easier..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Folks

I’m goin to Australia in a week and my I’ve lost my credit card (long story!) and I need to know would my Laser Card which is also Maestro/Cirrcus, does that work in ATM’s in Australia??

Also I’ll be leaving on the cheap, how much would you expect to pay for a meal in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney?? Do they vary much? Also roughly speaking how much is a beer? In Australian dollars if that makes it easier..

Cheers

yep was in aus from october to january and used my laser/maestro card at all the atms,foods reasonably priced in sydney,wasnt in perth or melboune but i wouldnt say there would be much difference,i was drinking pure blonde mostly which was about 6.50 aus dollars a pint,some of the other beers would be cheaper such as carlton,xxxx gold etc

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Perth is generally more expensive, because its so isolated it costs more to deliver products there.

Have yet to be to Sydney, but Melbourne is reasonable. A pint is usually about 8 dollars, but can vary between pubs and the beer (have seen pints of carlton for 5, drink tooheys myself). Can get cheap meals during the week at night, eg a 12 dollar t-bone.

You'll find cheap beer /food anywhere though, all depends on where you go really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Everything is cheaper than Dublin I reckon.

I can get a huge lunch at the local japanese here for 10 bucks or 5 yons.

Cant even buy a sambo for 5 bucks last I was at home !

Beer is not shockingly cheaper but most other stuff is noticbly cheaper I feel.

China town is good eatin and cheap in Sydney too.
    Amazing value to be found in locals haunts and ethnic fooderies in all cities as a rule IMO .....Cool thing here is BYO, bring Your own Booze to a resteraunt. makes eating out at a nice place so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

^^^ agree

I live in Newtown in sydney, I can get a Thai Lunch special in at least 5 places for less than $8 (large meal + rice) and BIG portions too

and the pubs around there are cheap enough
    usually less than $5 for a schnoor and in my local it's $5.50 for a pint.

If you go to the city it gets more pricey. ($8 for a pint in many places)

Prices in restuarants seem to be much cheaper than at home, there is a lot more comp around and it is a casual thing over here, all pubs seem to have some kind of food unlike home and do some good specials ($10 steak + chips) is a standard it seems

E.g. I went to hurricanes in Sydney last night
    Full Rack of Ribs (about a foot) of pork ribs, and jacket potatoe for $33 (17euro) you'd be laughed out of dublin with that price for what I got

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

zootroid wrote: »
    Perth is generally more expensive, because its so isolated it costs more to deliver products there.

I don't think that's the case really, and if it is then it's not by a significant margin. I didn't find stuff in Queensland any more expensive than here.
    Have yet to be to Sydney, but Melbourne is reasonable. A pint is usually about 8 dollars, but can vary between pubs and the beer (have seen pints of carlton for 5, drink tooheys myself). Can get cheap meals during the week at night, eg a 12 dollar t-bone.

You'll find cheap beer /food anywhere though, all depends on where you go really!!

Pints in Perth would be similar to the above. My local does $6 specials (it was Pure Blonde for a whole month a while back :D). Guinness is around $7.

The city is obviously gonna be more expensive but you won't have to pay more than $9.

The cost of supermarket shopping is so much cheaper here. I picked up a 24 pack of Pepsi cans yesterday for $10, that's little over €5. The likes of Dominos are really cheap too once you collect it yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement