Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the teachers living in the real world?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Are the teachers living in the real world at all?

(Please note that I am referring to the permanent full-time staff of the Department of Education and Science ONLY)

Their annual meetings are on this week and the main topic on the adgenda is he fact that education is underfunded which is leading to fewer special needs teachers and sub-standard school facilites etc..

They might have a point, if they didn't then turn around and complain about how they need an inflation-beating pay rise of over 10% and they are having to bail out the bankers by having to pay towards their pensions. The simple fact is that the state only has so much money to spend and that if the money is used to increase the pay of existing staff then there is less to pay for new staff and facilites (simple maths really!!!!!)

If the teachers really believe that they are underpaid, then perhaps they could get a second job during during their four-month (secondary - 3 months primary) holidays.

I also find it unacceptable that they so little respect for the office of a Minister of the Republic of Ireland that they have the cheek to walk out during the Ministers speech (who is, let us not forget, their boss). The Minister for Education and Science is under no obligation to attend the meeting and does so out of his or her goodwill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Facts?
    jahalpin wrote: »
    by having to pay towards their pensions.
    The law that sanctioned the pay cut (named a 'pension levy' not a 'contribution') specifically says that the amount deducted from their pay confers no entitlement to anything. Plus, they've already been paying PRSI like everyone else?
    that they have the cheek to walk out during the Ministers speech
    How many walked out and how many did not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They might have a point, if they didn't then turn around and complain about how they need an inflation-beating pay rise of over 10%

was that figure mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

To be fair it's a thankless job, how much **** do some of them have to tale form students and parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Facts?
    The law that sanctioned the pay cut (named a 'pension levy' not a 'contribution') specifically says that the amount deducted from their pay confers no entitlement to anything. Plus, they've already been paying PRSI like everyone else?

How many walked out and how many did not?

The PRSI contributions only pay for the standard state pension, not the defined benefit pension that the teachers will get when they retire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Woger wrote: »
    To be fair it's a thankless job, how much **** do some of them have to tale form students and parents?

Teachers aren't as badly paid as they make out. They also get over 4 months paid holidays throughout the year to get over the treatment they get from a small percentage of students \ parents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

One of my teachers was on the news today about it and lets just say, he's/she's living very comfortably. He's/She's on the Pension Levy at like 8% he/she said so would that not put his/her salary fairly high?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How a teacher who works short hours for 8 months of the year feels they have an entitlement to the same salary as someone who works 35 hours plus for 11 months of the year just because they have an "equivalent" degree (i.e. B.A. v Bsc I.T.) will always be beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I think the teachers see the writing on the wall and that is why they are kicking up. If they lie back for one thing then it sets a precedent.

I mean look at it this way, the govt pay a fortune for permanent teachers so they dont make teachers permanent anymore and instead have courses churning out tons of subs who will forever be floating on contracts and very easy to sack.

My theory is that we may be looking at the last generations of permanent teachers. It will save the govt a fortune, but the qs is it it best for the kids y'know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

One of my teachers was on the news today about it and lets just say, he's/she's living very comfortably. He's/She's on the Pension Levy at like 8% he/she said so would that not put his/her salary fairly high?

And remember they get tax relief on that pension levy as well, so that reduction is probably a paltry 4% and yet it contributes to their lucrative pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The bad ones take ****, the goods ones don't.

I have no problem with them walking out, however I have a problem with why the walked out- €€€. Why weren't they walking out when the government had billions in surplus but weren't building schools with it? Not only did they not walk out then, but they gave standing ovations simply because the government was giving them very generous wage increases. So now we have ended up with some of the highest paid teachers in the world working in half built shacks that the government is paying €100m+ per annum to rent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes - todays walkout was by INTO teachers who have to put up with the tantrums of 5 years old between 9 am and 2 pm. I'm sure they probably are suffering from Post traumatic stress disorder.

While they are whinging also about the lack of special needs teachers and education cutbacks they might explain how the country managed to educate the people that contributed to and built the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

teachers are definitley not living in the real world. I'm not saying that because of now but I've noticed over the years

I also loved when that teacher goes "We're doing it for the students. We're worried about the students"

Didn't seem to worried about the students when they were planning to go on strike a week before the LC Orals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Social workers take **** too. As do gardaí, tech support, security guards, A&E staff and a dozen other jobs; none gets the same privileges.
    I also loved when that teacher goes "We're doing it for the students. We're worried about the students"

Didn't seem to worried about the students when they were planning to go on strike a week before the LC Orals?
    Or when they refuse to allow the dismissal of incompetent teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The cutback regarding special needs teachers is a reason to go on strike, why didnt they when it was announced?

It does seem to be grandstanding on their part as soon as the cameras are on them. But there is chronic underfunding in the schools system. I think a good idea for funding is to levy fees paid to private schools by 10-20%, this would raise money that could be ring fenced to bring back the special needs assistants and to double or treble the capitation grant.

I will add though, don't paint all the teachers with the same brush. Some of my teachers are unbelievable...before the protest they were refusing to go on strike because they wouldn't neglect their 6th years. They openly protested against the other teachers who were going on strike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I will add though, don't paint all the teachers with the same brush. Some of my teachers are unbelievable...before the protest they were refusing to go on strike because they wouldn't neglect their 6th years. They openly protested against the other teachers who were going on strike

Some teachers are actually smart and know how lucky they are. If the rest of them had to go through what people in the private sector were going through they'd soon shut up pretty quickly.

Thats what one of our teachers said when she basically attacked one of the other teachers who was really in favour of striking. She asked her what she was protesting about...She has a secure job, a comfortable salary, a nice lump sum when she leaves the school and a secure pension. She asked her, how many people out of the 400,000 people on the dole were from the Public Sector...

Then the teacher just disregarded any valid argument against striking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Minister for Education and Science is under no obligation to attend the meeting and does so out of his or her goodwill
    Did the Minister get a pay raise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Sleepy wrote: »
    How a teacher who works short hours for 8 months of the year feels they have an entitlement to the same salary as someone who works 35 hours plus for 11 months of the year just because they have an "equivalent" degree (i.e. B.A. v Bsc I.T.) will always be beyond me...

How someone, who could have become a teacher during the boom years, can turn around and begrudge teachers their entitlements now is beyond me.

It gets very tiring.

Why didn't those who now have a bee in their bonnet about public sector pay join the public sector a few years ago if the job is such a cushy number?

During the peak years, a teacher's pay was peanuts in comparison with jobs in the private sector that people I know had and involved much less responsibility.

People chose at the time to go with the private sector to avail of the benefits, but now that things have gone pear-shaped in the economy they decide to make teachers public enemy number 1?

Get over yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

jahalpin wrote:
    The PRSI contributions only pay for the standard state pension, not the defined benefit pension that the teachers will get when they retire
    In some cases, almost all of the pension entitlement derives from the state pension. The defined benefit is quite similar to that enjoyed by the majority of private sector employees.
    gurramok wrote: »
    And remember they get tax relief on that pension levy as well, so that reduction is probably a paltry 4% and yet it contributes to their lucrative pension.
    It's not tax relief. Their pay was cut and they cannot be taxed on what they don't get. Its not a contribution, check the leglislation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kraggy wrote: »
    How someone, who could have become a teacher during the boom years, can turn around and begrudge teachers their entitlements now is beyond me.
    It's not begrudgery - it's the simple fact that we can't afford things as they are. Cuts have to be made in all areas in order to make up for the government's screw ups. When the teachers kick up over pay and a levy (a pain but not as bad as some other places and it may be offset by increments) it rubs people up the wrong way - people have to wonder where they think this money to fix this is going to come from? The obvious answer is increased pain for the rest of us.

Ultimately what's getting people down here is that it seems the public and civil sector unions seem utterly resistant to change despite change being necessary because without it the country is quite likely to be in even worse shape. That is what gets more tiring to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Here we go again!:rolleyes:
    The PRSI contribution pays for the standard state pension.
    They then pay 6.5% towards their public sector pension plus around 7% pension levy.
    What a lot of the begrudgers don't realise is that whatever they get from the state pension is deducted from the public sector pension, public sector pension is then NOT so lucrative. so if they are entitled to a pension of say
    350 euro per week and their state pension is 200 euro per week, their public service pension is 150 euro per week. Not many will get this much because you need 40 years service to get the full pension.
    You would be lucky if you got the money back you put into it.....Lucrative....My arse! :)
    Its only lucrative if you are a gard or a TD!

ixoy wrote: »
    It's not begrudgery - it's the simple fact that we can't afford things as they are. Cuts have to be made in all areas in order to make up for the government's screw ups. When the teachers kick up over pay and a levy (a pain but not as bad as some other places and it may be offset by increments) it rubs people up the wrong way - people have to wonder where they think this money to fix this is going to come from? The obvious answer is increased pain for the rest of us.

Ultimately what's getting people down here is that it seems the public and civil sector unions seem utterly resistant to change despite change being necessary because without it the country is quite likely to be in even worse shape. That is what gets more tiring to me.

Sorry Lads but it is BEGRUDGERY!

I'm backing the primary school teachers. Kids are entitled under the constitution to a FREE primary school education. Anyone with kids in primary school knows it is far from free! And now more cutbacks!:eek:
    Expensive books, voluntary contributions, charges for school activities.
    Meanwhile the millionaire's kids can have a free university education.
    The government have got their priorites all wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm from a family of public service workers. Its largely a thankless job and hated by most private sector workers. Still though, for all the complaining they do about the state of the countries finances, they are equally vocal about government having to take the hard choices with them, the people who eat up so much of the national budget.

They should make their minds up. The deficit has to go away some way and I'm afraid their wages will be the first to be cut. (As they already have been, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

another problem is,nearly every tom,dick and harry coming out of college is a teacher now,and theres not enough work,and yes i do agree with some of people here,the teachers get great pensions and such,think also people forget that we pay them about €30 an hour to correct exam papers let alone some of them make a fortune from giving grinds to students

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sleepy wrote: »
    Works for 8 hours, corrects homework for another few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gambit32

Teachers have by far the handiest number,great pay,job satifaction,4 months holidays every year,and a million other perk,and they have the nerve to ask for more,have you ever heard of a teacher being fired for incompetancy?,I remember many from my school years that should have been

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

think we need a hardline approach,shut up and pay routine,im sorry but,people in the private sector are doing every god given hour now to make ends meet,let alone the civil servants where strikeing over it but then used the "oh my spouse or other half is on the dole and i cant afford to be taxed now" to get the public sympathy

Advertisement