Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the teachers living in the real world?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

asdasd wrote: »
    You could stay away from the controversial stuff and teach em not to steal.
    Why would you think that's not controversial, comrade?

ALL PROPERTY IS THEFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

ixoy wrote: »
    But if teachers are said to be instilling moral values in their pupils
    They're not and no-one ever said they were. They are part of an equation that provides an education to kids in this country.
    Parents "instill moral values" to a pupil. Teachers teach a pupil as per national curriculum and no national curriculum that I'm aware of has a mention of "moral values". If I'm wrong, will stand corrected but until then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Just this week in school I caught 3 teachers checking their facebook pages DURING class. Fair enough we were doing a test or studying in each class but wouldn't most teachers take that free time to prepare a class lesson or correct homework???
    Also this week I decided to observe teachers leaving the school. School ends at 3.45 and by 4.p.m the car park is half empty most days. Most of the younger teachers were leaving and the more experienced ones must stay back for other things. This is fairly represented in their pay however I don't leave till 5 on Tuesdays (band practice) and the car park is deserted by then, the fast majority slipping out just before the rush hour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Just this week in school I caught 3 teachers checking their facebook pages DURING class. Fair enough we were doing a test or studying in each class but wouldn't most teachers take that free time to prepare a class lesson or correct homework???
    Facebook Bebo etc are blocked on the primary school broadband service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Facebook Bebo etc are blocked on the primary school broadband service.

..and on the second level one.

• Advertisement

ye our IT is pretty funny. Thankfully we got new computers last year but before they would all crash and ECDL classes were useless.

Our wireless networks are unsecured > ipod touch surfing in class :D

and NOTHING is blocked and I mean nothing. The IT head can check the history if he wants but alarm bells don't ring if anyone's checking their bebo or facebook, be they student of faculty member.

Also there's nothing to stop P2P and the school's service is Eircom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

maybe you should suggest that they DO block it

no point leaving the temptation there for pupils and teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    The education system did play a big part in companies deciding to base themselves here.

The education system should be questioned on all thing that are negative in this country.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    maybe you should suggest that they DO block it

no point leaving the temptation there for pupils and teachers

Allow me to repeat > Ipod touch internet in class :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

johnnyc wrote: »
    felt sorry for the students studying in those prefabs....have another questions for you department of educations spends about 90% or more on teachers wages which start at €40,000 and go up to €70,000 plus your pensions, security of job.....would you be up for a good paycut and for that money to go into a proper building?

I would imagine for some the mortgages for the holiday homes are more important.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Has this thread finally died down? Have the teachers finally realised that eventhough they may not be on the pigs back, at least they are still actually on the pig, while the rest of us are drowning in the muck at the pigs hooves?

lol....."drowning in the muck at the pigs hooves" There are three reasons teachers are not on the net ...June, July and August. Its a bit like how the pro-public service posters always seem much more active on the forum during normal working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Hillel wrote: »
    I'm missing something here, on the list its number 49.

Anyway, the general point still holds, Trinity is generally regarded as amongst the best universities in the world.

What are the criteria? Who does the 'ranking'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

jimmmy wrote: »
    There are three reasons teachers are not on the net ...June, July and August. Its a bit like how the pro-public service posters always seem much more active on the forum during normal working hours.

Brilliant and mostly true :)

oh well wrote: »
    can anyone explain to me why teachers will not allow a child use another method of calculation to answer maths problems (ie subtraction/fractions/ etc) if the child fully understands the alternative method but not the method as explained by the teacher. I've some across this so many times where the teacher won't let the child use another method. They just can't seem to see that there are so many different ways to get to the same answer. I've had it at primary level and secondary level - though in fairness in the secondary teachers don't make such a big issue of it. If teachers are so caring about the children, surely it would be better to let the child use the calculation method he understands rather than confuse the child by insisting they use a method they can't crasp the concept of.

Revised primary curriculum encourages children to find different ways of solving problems. Children work in pairs/small groups to find solutions and then share with their results with the whole group.

Teachers will still teach the step-by-step method to the class for the benefit of children who need this, as many do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Has this thread finally died down? Have the teachers finally realised that eventhough they may not be on the pigs back, at least they are still actually on the pig, while the rest of us are drowning in the muck at the pigs hooves?

im sure they are making a nice bit from answering concern parents questions on the phone about the exam f#ck up,anyways they are too busy supervising exams now!

Fred83 wrote: »
    im sure they are making a nice bit from answering concern parents questions on the phone about the exam f#ck up,anyways they are too busy supervising exams now!

Wonder how much extra they get for supervising leaving / junior cert exams ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

All publicly available to anyone who wants to know:

Leaving & Junior Certificate Examinations 2009

Rates of Payment for Superintendents, Examination Aides & Models

Superintendents Reasonable Accommodations: (Non-SNA Rate) €117.93 per day

Reasonable Accommodations: (SNA Rate) €90.00 per day

Practical Tests €117.93 per day

L. C. V. P €117.93 per day

Aural Exams Leaving/Junior Cert €63.37 per day

Leaving Certificate Applied (For Gaeilge Chumarsáideach, & Languages (Year 1) Information Technology (Year 2) €63.37 per day

Examination Aides €143.20 per day

Art Models (For Junior Certificate Art Drawing & Leaving Certificate Art Life Sketching.) €12.97 per session

TS / Trade Examinations €15.38 per hour

Who would you have doing the job? How would you screen/select them, organise, train and pay them?

Would you employ a new cohort each year?

All publicly available to anyone who wants to know:

Leaving & Junior Certificate Examinations 2009

Rates of Payment for Superintendents, Examination Aides & Models

Superintendents Reasonable Accommodations: (Non-SNA Rate) €117.93 per day

Reasonable Accommodations: (SNA Rate) €90.00 per day

Practical Tests €117.93 per day

L. C. V. P €117.93 per day

Aural Exams Leaving/Junior Cert €63.37 per day

Leaving Certificate Applied (For Gaeilge Chumarsáideach, & Languages (Year 1) Information Technology (Year 2) €63.37 per day

Examination Aides €143.20 per day

Art Models (For Junior Certificate Art Drawing & Leaving Certificate Art Life Sketching.) €12.97 per session

TS / Trade Examinations €15.38 per hour

Interesting. Nice liittle sideline for some people, on top of their existing pay I suppose. I wonder do they get paid for "training", what expenses they get (if any ) , do they get a bonus if they do the job right ( not give out the wrong paper ! ) , if they work a "half-day" do they get a "full-days" rate etc. I wonder are they supposed to be allowed read the newspapers. I never thought that much about their screening /selection , organisation and training, but whoever was responsible for that c**k-up in Co. Louth has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Newspapers not read, not this year anyway!

Well well, the teachers have royally shot themselves in the foot now! Almost half a million people on the dole, private sector people lucky enough to have a job are taking paycuts like men, and are glad to still have their jobs, people in the west / south are under 4 foot of water and what do the teachers do? They take a day off their permanent, pensionable, privileged jobs to demand exemption from paying their fair share to get the country back on track, and then go shopping in biblical proportions in another economic jurisdiction.

Shame on you. Shame. If there is another strike, I can see violent outbreaks occuring. Ordinary people are so angry with them. These teachers are the epitome of hypocricy, greed, and selfishness. It reminds me of Oliver twist, "Please sir, can I have some more?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You don't even seem to realise that it was more than teachers on strike, yet you still feel the need to comment. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't even seem to realise that it was more than teachers on strike, yet you still feel the need to comment. Wonderful.
    This thread is about the teachers though Brian, so I presume that's why he singled them out in his post.

Exactly murphaph. It doesn't take someone with the education of a teacher........... Oh wait!

So, no more from the treacherours? Staying off the internet to make it look like you're working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Jeez.

I thnk the teachers should not be striking, but they took the day off on their own dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

asdasd wrote: »
    Jeez.

I thnk the teachers should not be striking, but they took the day off on their own dime.

while denying kids a days education.

cheap enough day i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know of any study that shows people who are high achievers make better teachers?

Advertisement