Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the teachers living in the real world?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know of any study that shows people who are high achievers make better teachers?
    I was going to kick in with the Teaching Council whine I've been playing a lot lately. I'm an extremely high academic achiever and they're refusing to register me at the moment.

But you've made a very good point. The ones to whom learning came easily may not necessarily be the best and most understanding teachers of those to whom learning comes hard.

REF: me_right_one
    We DFTT on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know of any study that shows people who are high achievers make better teachers?

We've been running a live study for centuries in third level institutions of merit. Reports seem to be mixed...

In all seriousness though sending people who barely scraped 2.1's into teaching Irish in second level just makes the whole things worse. Would requiring a first really be that bad a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Well well, the teachers have royally shot themselves in the foot now! Almost half a million people on the dole, private sector people lucky enough to have a job are taking paycuts like men, and are glad to still have their jobs, people in the west / south are under 4 foot of water and what do the teachers do? They take a day off their permanent, pensionable, privileged jobs to demand exemption from paying their fair share to get the country back on track, and then go shopping in biblical proportions in another economic jurisdiction.

Shame on you. Shame. If there is another strike, I can see violent outbreaks occuring. Ordinary people are so angry with them. These teachers are the epitome of hypocricy, greed, and selfishness. It reminds me of Oliver twist, "Please sir, can I have some more?"

Well now. What do we have here? Another bandwagon jumper.
    Someone says something might be the case, and suddenly it's true!

Not one shred of evidence was produced on any newspaper I read, on any newsprogramme I saw or heard, to show that those in the vehicles on the road to Newry yesterday were striking public workers, teachers in particular if we are to believe you.

Not a single shred of verifiable evidence. A couple of unidentified people offered opinions That was it. Not a shred of evidence. There were no signs on the vehicles that I saw confirming the occupants as striking public service workers. Those shoppers didn't have signs on their backs.

But you and your ilk do not need evidence, do you? Somebody said it might be striking workers, teachers in particular, and HEY PRESTO!
    It's a fact.! Let's throw some more abuse at people who have broken no law, and committed no crime.

Now you "can see violent outbreaks occuring. Ordinary people are so angry with them"

Shall I tell you what I can see? I can see red hot anger in people who are being villified because they refuse to 'volunteer' for pay cuts, and who exercise their civil right to withdraw their labour.

And I can see some of them wanting to organise a mass exodus to the north on 3 December to do all their christmas shopping. Could even opt to go the night before as accommodation is cheap up there.
    If we are being accused of something for which absolutely no proof is being offered, then we might as well do it in style. We'll be found guilty anyway by the likes of you who doesn't need any evidence before you start slinging insults and condemnation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No worries Uriah, the ordinary joe and jane have no problem with teachers pulling in an average of 60k while the vast majority of those joes and janes don't earn near enough that nor have the job security and bullet-proof pensions and don't mind the country going bankrupt to pay for them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1125/1224259395216.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

uriah wrote: »
    Well now. What do we have here? Another bandwagon jumper.
    Someone says something might be the case, and suddenly it's true!

Not one shred of evidence was produced on any newspaper I read, on any newsprogramme I saw or heard, to show that those in the vehicles on the road to Newry yesterday were striking public workers, teachers in particular if we are to believe you.

Not a single shred of verifiable evidence. A couple of unidentified people offered opinions That was it. Not a shred of evidence. There were no signs on the vehicles that I saw confirming the occupants as striking public service workers. Those shoppers didn't have signs on their backs.

But you and your ilk do not need evidence, do you? Somebody said it might be striking workers, teachers in particular, and HEY PRESTO!
    It's a fact.! Let's throw some more abuse at people who have broken no law, and committed no crime.

Now you "can see violent outbreaks occuring. Ordinary people are so angry with them"

Shall I tell you what I can see? I can see red hot anger in people who are being villified because they refuse to 'volunteer' for pay cuts, and who exercise their civil right to withdraw their labour.

And I can see some of them wanting to organise a mass exodus to the north on 3 December to do all their christmas shopping. Could even opt to go the night before as accommodation is cheap up there.
    If we are being accused of something for which absolutely no proof is being offered, then we might as well do it in style. We'll be found guilty anyway by the likes of you who doesn't need any evidence before you start slinging insults and condemnation.

Do you honestly believe that no public servant went up on Tuesday to shop? I mean seriously there are thousands of them! Even by random chance a few hundred might decide to do it just because they felt contrary that day ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

asdasd wrote: »
    I would have thought that teaching required some kind of morality.

Wny do most people spell religious wrong.

Notice my boldification.

Lol, people who correct others spelling really should check their own before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

nesf wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that no public servant went up on Tuesday to shop? I mean seriously there are thousands of them! Even by random chance a few hundred might decide to do it just because they felt contrary that day ffs.

What I believe is irrelevant.
    I do not know the facts.
    For all we know, Mary Harney and the president could have been up there.
    I have no idea whether some public service workers were among those who went to newry on tuesday. Nobody knows for sure.

Yet public service workers as a group are being villified for going shopping in the north on tuesday when nobody knows for sure how many - if any- did so.

Reason, balance and fairness have been abandoned in the rush to condemn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I do not know the facts..

facts are there was a big strike and newry was abnormally packed to the brim. Putting 2 and 2 together I'd say unless thousands were arriving into dublin airport and getting taxis north its safe to assume the assumptions in all the papers and blogs etc that the PS were up there spending their guaranteed wages on goods not carrying the 'guaranteed irish' logo!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

REF: Clartharlear, IDGAF

Urea, you're moving the goalposts. The shopping across the border thing was the insult you unbelievable hypocrites added after the injury. Nobody in the private sector could miss a day off work and expect to have their job the following day. Are you suggesting the five mile tailback was caused by those on the live register, who all travelled North coincidentally on the same day you chose to give two fingers to the taxpayers/your employers exercise your right to strike for your own greed? Prima nocta was a right too once upon a very unfair time.

Any public servant who partook in that strike, or agreed with the strikers, has now lowered themselves into the same league as bankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

nesf wrote: »
    Would requiring a first really be that bad a thing?

Tell me about it. I'm applying for a post-grad right now and I was told that a first will not be that much of an advantage over somebody who has a 2.1. There's a very large difference between the two in my opinion.

Considering I did quite badly in the leaving certificate and then went on to do well in a third level environment, I would definitely never judge somebody's ability or intellect by what points they obtained. But that's a thread for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

REF: Clartharlear, IDGAF

Urea, you're moving the goalposts. The shopping across the border thing was the insult you unbelievable hypocrites added after the injury. Nobody in the private sector could miss a day off work and expect to have their job the following day. Are you suggesting the five mile tailback was caused by those on the live register, who all travelled North coincidentally on the same day you chose to give two fingers to the taxpayers/your employers exercise your right to strike for your own greed? Prima nocta was a right too once upon a very unfair time.

Any public servant who partook in that strike, or agreed with the strikers, has now lowered themselves into the same league as bankers.

strange thing is tha the news and newspapers reported it as "many parents takign advantage of the kids being off school to do some shopping up the North" at least that was the caption under the picture of the traffic jam in the Herald. I'm sure some public sector workers did head up north but I dont think you can automatically assume all of them did...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

LoLth wrote: »
    strange thing is tha the news and newspapers reported it as "many parents takign advantage of the kids being off school to do some shopping up the North" at least that was the caption under the picture of the traffic jam in the Herald. I'm sure some public sector workers did head up north but I dont think you can automatically assume all of them did...

You know that public sector workers have kids too right? That newspaper statement is very open in its catch-all statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 janette_mckenna

I'm a new teacher, this is only my second year out of the HDip. I was lucky enough to get a maternity leave for 7 months...however, Im teaching for 10 hours a week, because I'm sharing the post with another teacher. The rest of the day I'm in the staffroom correcting work, making resources etc. Between paying rent, loan payments and petrol, I'm left with 50 euro a week...and I havent taken out food or esb out of that. I know teachers are very lucky to have 3 months summer holidays but when I eventually, in the very distant future, get made permanent, I wont actually get paid for summers-they will take what I earn now and stretch it over 12 months not 9.So while Im only working 9 months Im still actually only earning 9 months pay. Also, how many of the people complaining about teachers have ever taught? You try it and then tell me it's easy. I've had kids call me every name under the sun, throw crap at me, spit at me. I would love to see all the moaners try teaching a group of hormonal kids who have no interest and then come back and tell me that teachers have no worries.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, in my work, I've seen a lot of teachers with buy-to-lets, and a few others with a bit of farm-land that they play at being farmers on. The latter make losses with their "hobby" and get tax refunds for the privilege.:rolleyes:

Private sector types do that too.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/may/03/ryanair-boss-got-eu-farm-grant-of-55k-for-cattle/

while the rest of the work force are losing their jobs.

This is simply not true. Some are getting pay rises and bonuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

dresden8 wrote: »
    This is simply not true. Some are getting pay rises and bonuses.

and if ( unlike the goverment ) thier employers are not broke , what of it

irish_bob wrote: »
    and if ( unlike the goverment ) thier employers are not broke , what of it

Like the banks who we're giving 54 billion (at least) to?

Those "not broke" employers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

dresden8 wrote: »
    Like the banks who we're giving 54 billion (at least) to?

Those "not broke" employers?

if all else fails , pull out the banks arguement , works every time

irish_bob wrote: »
    if all else fails , pull out the banks arguement , works every time

Especially if it's true! Truth works every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Valmont wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I'm applying for a post-grad right now and I was told that a first will not be that much of an advantage over somebody who has a 2.1. There's a very large difference between the two in my opinion.

There isn't much difference between the two grades when applying for a postgrad. In general though the difference may be as much as...1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

What I believe is irrelevant.
    I do not know the facts.
    For all we know, Mary Harney and the president could have been up there.
    I have no idea whether some public service workers were among those who went to newry on tuesday. Nobody knows for sure.

Yet public service workers as a group are being villified for going shopping in the north on tuesday when nobody knows for sure how many - if any- did so.

Reason, balance and fairness have been abandoned in the rush to condemn.

i seem to remember reading here on boards of mary c our minister for ? and family traipsing across the border for a little recession free shopping, the president is from the north, the minister for obesity has the use of a private jet so one can assume a traffic jamed trip would not be very high on her agenda.

Advertisement