Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the teachers living in the real world?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

gurramok wrote: »
    Oh my god, its been plastered all over the news.

Here http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html

Its 64k for males.

And it's €56k for females, who make up 85% of the number of primary teachers. That is, therefore, a more representative indicator than the €64k you cite.

As a matter of interest, the difference is in some measure attributable to the fact that the average age (and period of service) of male teachers is higher.

As another matter, it is evident that the figures include allowances for taking on additional roles as Principal, Deputy Principal, or Assistant Principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Also, it's easier for males to get promoted in school, even for the simple reason that the male teachers run the GAA team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

cobweb wrote: »
    1. We dont just face paint but sure its hard to fight ignorance which is what I see here and easy to go for a facile comment such as the face painting effort.
    2. Lots of jobs have people who are terrible not just the teaching profession but to compensate there are a lot of great teachers out there.
    3. I am on holidays at the moment and have spent my holidays preparing for my final term and myself and a lot of teachers spend longer then 9-5 correcting and preparing work and the classroom for the next day.
    4. I have also spent in excess of 1000€ of my own money this year so far ensuring that my class have the items they need for class to get a rounded education as funds arent there to get the stuff they need but then perhaps I am one of those teachers no one cares to mention who do a bl**dy good job

I have read a lot of the posts here and find them ignorant of the reality of teaching as someone who worked in a different area and retrained as a teacher it is an eye opener and before slagging off the profession try it.

Yes my comments could be taken as a little harsh or condescending but lets be honest here you guys have it better than the average worker. I know teachers some good some awful. I'm also aware of the waste that goes on - just like most of the public sector.

Why doesnt the teachers union offer to work 2 months of the summer with special needs or use the two months to help foreign children to work on their english.

I've read some of the stuff that goes on at the INTO congress and to be honest some of it is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

T-K-O wrote: »
    Yes my comments could be taken as a little harsh or condescending but lets be honest here you guys have it better than the average worker.

Why doesnt the teachers union offer to work 2 months of the summer with special needs or use the two months to help foreign children to work on their english.

I've read some of the stuff that goes on at the INTO congress and to be honest some of it is shameful.

We have it the same as other jobs I am sick of reading how great we have it. I have spent over 20 years working in jobs in the private sector and enjoyed my perks such as the nice car etc, in the health service, and in a number of other industries that have had some very nice perks including not having to put up with daily harrassement from public.

Why should the teachers union do that when an awful lot of the teachers go off to foreign climes to work for charity during their holidays and also volunteer here but sure details, I also have worked in special needs since i am a teenager and that can be very difficult but sure why dont you volunteer yourself you could enjoy it and gain something from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

We have it the same as other jobs I am sick of reading how great we have it.

But but... you get four months holidays, work a shorter day, and earn a lot more money than nearly every other job.

I don't understand why so many teachers refuse to admit this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I also have worked in special needs since i am a teenager and that can be very difficult but sure why dont you volunteer yourself you could enjoy it and gain something from it

Why would we volunteer to do it when we're paying you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And it's €56k for females, who make up 85% of the number of primary teachers. That is, therefore, a more representative indicator than the €64k you cite.

As a matter of interest, the difference is in some measure attributable to the fact that the average age (and period of service) of male teachers is higher.

As another matter, it is evident that the figures include allowances for taking on additional roles as Principal, Deputy Principal, or Assistant Principal.

Talk about milking the system. slash those allowances if they are propping things up, the gravy train must stop.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    But but... you get four months holidays, work a shorter day, and earn a lot more money than nearly every other job.

I don't understand why so many teachers refuse to admit this.

Everyone wants everyone else to think they're job is the toughest out there and know matter how hard i try no one understands me :mad::mad:

to be fair to the teachers it's not just them.

me own missus doesn't do a tap all day and you would think she did a day in iraq when she comes home.

They just need a hug.

4 months can be hard to fill, you have no idea how hard it is to come up with what holiday home you're going to stay in.

Or maybe holiday home swap with one of the other teachers

choices choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Now guys...after the figures being published what defense is left there?
    I don't want to tune in on the public service bashing - because most of them are not getting what the public thinks they are getting, far from it - but 64k or 56k respectively on average is an absolutely ridiculous figure. And I don't care what you do in your spare time with going to fight hunger in Africa or enrolling in special needs programs. Even if teachers didn't have the massive holidays these figures are outright ridiculous in international comparison. And they are ridiculous in comparison to other skilled professions, too.
    I understand now that you have it you'd fight tooth and nails for it and why wouldn't you? But to be actually looking for more while at the same time you are grossly overpaid even if we didn't have the current economical situation is just hilarious. This is teaching, by no means unimportant or unskilled or anything, quite the opposite, but it's teaching no more no less. Cop on.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Why would we volunteer to do it when we're paying you?

Paying me for what exactly?

Aaargh perhaps because people are shortsighted enough to think that when the bell rings for home time off we trot. I know I dont, I generally work a 12 hour day but you dont want to hear about that as that will ruin your argument

As stated earlier try it for a while and then moan at me. I changed careers and it was an eye opener

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Talk about milking the system. slash those allowances if they are propping things up, the gravy train must stop.

I don't like the overall figures myself, I think they're all getting too much. But do you really think that a principal shouldn't be on more money than a teacher?

Paying me for what exactly?

I'm starting to wonder that myself.

But to answer it.

To do nothing for 4 months?

realcam wrote: »
    I don't like the overall figures myself, I think they're all getting too much. But do you really think that a principal shouldn't be on more money than a teacher?

I'm guessing but I think he's talking about principal deupties or whatever you call them where a teacher gets paid more for rubbing a principals sack

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

4 month holidays,

i rest my case

robobobo wrote: »
    4 month holidays,

i rest my case

holiday homes in croatia earning 64k a year.

I rest mine.

I'm starting to wonder that myself.

But to answer it.

To do nothing for 4 months?

ah yes the calibre of your argument :rolleyes:
    please google re holidays for old replies i could waste my time giving

you dont pay me but if you think you do please cough up on owed backpay havent seen it yet

realcam wrote: »

There is only one principal per school while they are outnumbered anything from 10 to 100 to 1 by ordinary teachers.

Yes a principal should be on more money after all that person is the 'leader' with more responsibilities, its the other teachers that are taking the mick on pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

ffs. the giving out about teachers!!! why don't ye all go off, go back to college and train to become teachers if you think it is so handy???

Such a great job
    such great pay
    great holidays
    brilliant pension

maybe because

1 - you have to be fairly intelligent to be a teacher -especially a primary teacher
    2 - you need certain skills to work with people and kids
    3 - you need a commitment to the job outside of just the time in the classroom

ps, i am not a teacher. have thought about it though!

anybody can do teaching, you don't have to be fairly anything. came across a few completely thick teachers in my time. the whole do an arts degree and then do your year or whatever and you're a primary school teacher.

ah yes the calibre of your argument :rolleyes:
    please google re holidays for old replies i could waste my time giving

you dont pay me but if you think you do please cough up on owed backpay havent seen it yet

I don't need to google I have good friends who are teachers

I know exactly what they do, I've been on their love boat :rolleyes:

sorry, the government pays the avg teacher 60k on my behalf.

holiday homes in croatia earning 64k a year.

I rest mine.

can guarantee that i dont earn that neither do I have a holiday home and I am sure that if i examined other careers i would find people who have holiday homes abroad yeah pick one person to represent the majority would not like reality to get in the way. holiday homes are not just owed by teachers

i will never earn that much as I am in mid thirties entering this profession and female

• Advertisement

anybody can do teaching, you don't have to be fairly anything. came across a few completely thick teachers in my time. the whole do an arts degree and then do your year or whatever and you're a primary school teacher.

stunning but as you point out that was in your day ie the past as most of the teachers I know now have trained in other professions and gone back as mature students so have professional and academic degrees and postgrads of various level. The days of Miss Jean Brodie are gone. If anyone can do it why did so many people drop out when I went back to study for it

can guarantee that i dont earn that neither do I have a holiday home and I am sure that if i examined other careers i would find people who have holiday homes abroad yeah pick one person to represent the majority would not like reality to get in the way. holiday homes are not just owed by teachers

i will never earn that much as I am in mid thirties entering this profession and female

People owning holiday homes is not a problem, fair play to them I say and the more they own the better crack open the champers regardless of what their profession.

If anyone can do it why did so many people drop out when I went back to study for it

maybe they seen the 90k a year and a car working for an EA and not having to deal with little johnny taken the mick out of your fashion sense?

people drop out of all courses that are not that hard for all type of reasons.

This is not becoming a brain surgeon.

It's teaching.

Maybe you should ask your colleagues tomorrow morning(on your breaks) as to what exactly each of them are pulling in as you feel you don't earn as much as them.
    Give out to them instead of us ;) and please report back as the Dept of Education states those figures.

Maybe you should ask your colleagues tomorrow morning(on your breaks) as to what exactly each of them are pulling in as you feel you don't earn as much as them.
    Give out to them instead of us ;) and please report back as the Dept of Education states those figures.

On holidays tomorrow;) and I dont earn as much as them as I am just starting out while a lot of people my age in the profession are heading towards their 20th year which as I said earlier I spent 20 years working in different sectors and retrained as mature student to become a teacher.

And why should I give out to them if it was about money for me i would never have changed careers and gone back fulltime to study. Also people with longer/more experience get paid more I am sure that is the same in all professions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Teachers just dont know how good they have it. Every year has been a boom year for teachers since 1921, everyone else only got ten good years in the entire history of Ireland. There are always "haves" and "have nots" in society. No matter what happens, teachers are always in the "haves" category. Unjustly might I add! Their actions at the moment sicken me.

stunning but as you point out that was in your day ie the past as most of the teachers I know now have trained in other professions and gone back as mature students so have professional and academic degrees and postgrads of various level. The days of Miss Jean Brodie are gone. If anyone can do it why did so many people drop out when I went back to study for it

in my day :rolleyes: I'm still in school

in my day :rolleyes: I'm still in school

in that case stop back chatting your elders :pac:

On holidays tomorrow;) and I dont earn as much as them as I am just starting out while a lot of people my age in the profession are heading towards their 20th year which as I said earlier I spent 20 years working in different sectors and retrained as mature student to become a teacher.

And why should I give out to them if it was about money for me i would never have changed careers and gone back fulltime to study. Also people with longer/more experience get paid more I am sure that is the same in all professions.

On holidays still??! :mad:

Bloody hell, how long is that Easter break?

• Advertisement

2 weeks, crazy eh?

Advertisement