Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Lennon

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Nominated for PFA young player of the year? Great second half of the season but do you think he deserves it/win it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Who is he up against ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

rafeal man u
    johnny evans man u
    agbonlahor villa
    young villa
    Stephen Ireland Man City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

In fairness, I think S Ireland deserves it, although I'd have Lennon in the top 3 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think Lennon on his day is one of the best wingers in the game. He's gotten more form this year than in the last 2 seasons (season before that he was electric.) It would be between him, Young and Ireland. The other two have probably had better seasons, Young contributing to Villas excellent early form and Ireland lifting an underperforming City, but if you asked me which I wanted on the team, it'd be Lennon every time.

He's fast, he's extremely skilful, he's fearless (I remember him playing Portugal when he was 18/19, making sh*t of their defence and almost scoring) fair enough, there's the complaint that he lacks the final ball but that can be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Lennon has always been abit of a oddity IMO,
    He can be Great as in one of the best in his position on his day but also can be frustratingly average.

Out of that list like thats been said i'd take Lennon over any of them. He has come on leaps and bounds this year and if he could just deliver that final ball I think we would have a real star on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I have a feeling Ashley Young could win this..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

tippspur wrote: »

I think you could be right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

tippspur wrote: »

i think he may win it too but i think stephen ireland deserves it. he has raised his game superbly this year. lennon 3rd in my honest opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Just hope the top 4 keep their hands off in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ireland and Young have to be the favourites for this, but Lennon has been the better of the other three.

I'll echo what Shane said, need to keep him at the Lane if we're to go anywhere next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Don't want to make a new thread so will swing this one back into play.

Aaron Lennon will make his 250th Premier League appearance for us if he plays against Chelsea. He's fifth on our Premier League appearances..

Unreal stuff..

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/lads-set-for-milestones-060314/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Good servant. For the amount of one on ones he finds himself in, 26 league goals is a dreadful return. I'd like to know his stats for assists? Still has pace to burn, tricky winger on his day, although becoming less.

Does not posses the skill to consistently make the correct pass in dangerous areas. If he was taller I'd have him playing at the back. He's 26, his last 5-6 performances were abysmal. Do I think he'll improve...no. Time for a change.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Good servant. For the amount of one on ones he finds himself in, 26 league goals is a dreadful return. I'd like to know his stats for assists? Still has pace to burn, tricky winger on his day, although becoming less.

Does not posses the skill to consistently make the correct pass in dangerous areas. If he was taller I'd have him playing at the back. He's 26, his last 5-6 performances were abysmal. Do I think he'll improve...no. Time for a change.

338 appearances since he came in under alot of managers. Have to praise that regardless. He has been a great servant for the club and a great return for 1m pound.

Maybe it is time to move forward with a different player but he has still been a great servant, not a good one and still has got a part to play at the club.

I'd be interested in seeing how many one v one's he's been in too. I never really considered Lennon to be constantly getting into one v one situations with the goalkeeper regularly enough to condone 26 league goals as poor. I'd be more interested in knowing how many shots he takes.

While you're at it some stats on his defensive duties would be good too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

What annoys me most about Lennon is that he has huge potential, yet you'll only see a glimmer of brilliance, he'll go unnoticed for long periods in a game. He's in his prime and should be ripping defenses apart on a regular basis. Maybe a new manger could develop him into what he should be?

How the fudge did Anderton make it to 299?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    What annoys me most about Lennon is that he has huge potential, yet you'll only see a glimmer of brilliance, he'll go unnoticed for long periods in a game. He's in his prime and should be ripping defenses apart on a regular basis. Maybe a new manger could develop him into what he should be?

How the fudge did Anderton make it to 299?

I think thats really wishful thinking about Lennon at this stage. I think the player we have seen over the past 9 seasons is the player we have. I doubt he'll develop any further.

Nuts I agree about Anderton, but out of the top 10.. 8 are English and two are Irish. Very English club. Wonder what Arsenals top 10 would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Has never had the real hunger and will to become a top top player. Good servant but awful stats as already pointed out. Pity he hasn't developed in to a better player over the years.

It'll be interesting to see if we can turn Townsend in to a bigger success than Lennon has been.

Advertisement