Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Nantes

• 14-04-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading to Nantes in early May and was wondering if anyone has been there and if there are some good places in your opinions to visit while I am there.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

Hi,

We are back from visiting Nantes and although it rained the whole time, we enjoyed our trip. Its a nice city, quite spread out, the main heart of the city is around the Royal Place, and Rue Crebillion (main shopping area), where our hotel was situated, also the Place Graslin is nice. We went to a good restaurant there, La Cigalle, worth visiting even if just to look at the decor! Medium price range - steak 24 euro. Deserts delicious! (Profiteroles wow!!) Another nice restaurant is Petit Bacchus on Rue Beauregard, just across the tramlines. There are lots of little restaurants along here.
    We visited the Castle, didnt get to the Botanic Gardens, you can also do a river cruise for about 10 euros, unfortunately we just missed it and there was only one in the day (3.30) at that time. It might change in May though. Also there is a little tourist train (Le Petit Train de Nantes) which is 6 euros and takes about 45 minutes to go around the town, worth taking to get a look at the whole city - the commentary is in French but they give you a sheet of English translation. It stops at the cathedral (also worth a look) and goes every hour, i think.
    Also have a look in a shopping arcade, Passage Pommeraye, beautiful building and some nice shops.
    Absolutely everything closes on a sunday, we couldnt find anything open, not even a paper shop, so be warned, its a day for visiting the castle or just walking around. There's a large Monoprix in Nantes and its great to stock up on food, or just to get a sandwich, also large selection of clothes etc. Gallerie Lafayette worth a look. Also a few Sephoras, if you are into cosmetics. Lots of affordable clothes shops, H & M, C & A, etc.
    All in all a nice place to shop, people are friendly, food is nice, but not exactly cheap, unless you do the midday 3 course lunch which is v good value, there's a McDonalds or a great french fast food place called 'Quick' opposite La Cigalle if you're really on a budget! Also a restaurant off the Place Royal called Entrecote, which does great steak at good price, i think its 17 for a set meal. They dont do anything else, but they are always full, which is a good sign. We met people who said it was v nice.
    The bus to the city centre was 6 euros & took about 25 mins. Last stop is the Place du Commerce. The Place Royal is only a couple of minutes away & seems to be the 'heart' of the city, a nice square with spectacular fountain.
    We considered going to Paris but the train fare was quite expensive, 56 euros each way, its only a 2 hour journey & there are lots of trains. We have been there before but if we hadn't we might have gone. There are trains to the coast, the SNCF isnt far from the centre, and the coast is about 30 miles away. You would have the city seen in a couple of days, so if you are there any longer it might be worth going on a day trip to one of the coastal towns. They were helpful at our hotel, looking up times of trains for us, and recommending various tourist attractions.
    We would definitely go back again - enjoy your trip, I hope u have better weather than us!
    mijas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Mijas

Thanks so much for all that. Very informative and I will be taking all of what you said there with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

glad to be of service, sparky, i hope you have a nice time! The flight time is only about an hour and 15 mins, so its great and Ryanair are usually on time, if thats your airline. Actually we returned 20 mins before schedule!
    Nantes airport quite small, nothing much in duty free & food downstairs is quite expensive, so be warned! We had a miniscule sandwich, a mini quiche & coffee (18 euro). A few coffee places tho which are fine.
    The bus to town is just outside the terminal across the road.
    Do let us know how u like it or maybe if you find any other nice restaurants/places to visit. We got such reasonable flights/hotel, i think we will go back another time when its a bit warmer, and hopefully not as wet!
    mijas

Advertisement