Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route from Dublin to Clonmel

• 14-04-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭

Assuming travelling at night and back again the following afternoon.

'Vanilla' option is via Kilkenny, but I've heard that with new stretches of the M/N8 open, may be quicker to go that way (the Dublin-Cork route)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Do NOT go via Kilkenny.

Take M8 down as far as exit 10 (N24) and you're ten minutes from Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

oh god take the cork route!!!

Redsoxfan, you will see a sign for Clonmel at junction 8 as well, but ignore that and take exit 10 (Cahir is the main town signed here) like I said. Much safer (and faster) option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Furet wrote: »
    Do NOT go via Kilkenny.

Take M8 down as far as exit 10 (N24) and you're ten minutes from Clonmel.

It's about 20mins, not 10mins:rolleyes:

mysterious wrote: »
    It's about 20mins, not 10mins:rolleyes:

No. It is ten. I drive it at least three times per week.

• Advertisement

So you do 150kmh??

You know it's about 18km...

So you do 150kmh??

*shrugs* Maybe 12 minutes. New bypass. Pulling figures off AA roadwatch doesn't help much these days.

Anyway, I’m not going to bother wasting time on you. As far as I am concerned you are nothing but an obnoxious, weird little troll who delights in annoying all the decent posters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

So you do 150kmh??

Oh dear Mysterious. :)

You'll actually find that it's at most about 15 km. The bypass is about 3km and the distance from the N24/R640 roundabout to Poppyfield is about 12 km at the most.

Driving that at 100 km/h (which you can easily do on pretty much all of that N24 stretch) it takes you about 9 or 10 minutes. Factoring in the roundabouts, it adds on - at the most - two minutes or so.

So 12 minutes is about right.

And even IF it was 18 km, you'd have to be driving quite slowly for it to take you 20 minutes. That's if you've actually even driven it.

So Mysterious... to use your favourite emoticon...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder though, when the M9 opens, will it be quicker to use the M9 then the N76?

I've only gone that route to Dublin once before.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I wonder though, when the M9 opens, will it be quicker to use the M9 then the N76?

I've only gone that route to Dublin once before.

Good question. It's the scenic route - the N76 is nice for a quaint drive, but it has no hard shoulder and very little scope for overtaking for most of its length. It can take a while to clear, and it's certainly not a safe option for night-time driving.

• Advertisement

Good question. It's the scenic route - the N76 is nice for a quaint drive, but it has no hard shoulder and very little scope for overtaking for most of its length. It can take a while to clear, and it's certainly not a safe option for night-time driving.

Well, I suppose it all depends on how long the M9 takes from Kilcullen to Carlow. I know for a fact that the Carlow Bypass knocks about 15 minutes off the journey. It took me ages to clear the town - the traffic was ridiculous.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

HAHA:D I found that really funny I even laughed out loud.

I'm just particular and im critical, but atleast we now know it's 12 mins at aobut 120kmh :D Critics are important.:rolleyes::D

I could be totally wrong, but I have a suspicion that, today, if two cars were to set out from the same point in Clonmel, one taking the N76/N10/N9, the other taking the N24/M8/M7, by the time the N9-bound car reached the N9 east of Kilkenny the M8/M7 car would have already reached the M7 junction 17 (assuming it didn't get stuck in Abbeyleix. Of course, if it did get stuck in Abbeyleix you could forget about it). Needless to say, we'd need to organise a Top Gear style challenge to see for sure!

When the M8 and M9 motorways are finished, I'd expect the M9 to win out over the M8 time-wise; but because of the N76, it definitely would not be the safer route.

You also have athy which can be awful to get through. I'd say the M9 would win. The N76 is not the worst road by any means. It's fairly straight from Kilcullen to Kilkenny and after Callan I can't remember. But it's only about 40km of Secondary roads with the majority of it motorway. Can't see why there would be any real safety issue. The M8 way still uses the N24 for a bit also, and is not a motorway either, and it's not the best primary route in any way.

So it would be close, but since going the M8 is longer and going out of your way more, I'd say most will still use the N76 onto Dublin.

Actually, to get from Kilkenny to Kilcullen, you use the N77 and then the N78.

The N76 is from Clonmel to Kilkenny.

Sorry I keep forgetting that, but the road used to be called the one road. T6. and for the most part N76/N78 is the one road. It actually does a straight run through Kilkenny. The bypass now allows you to circle around the town instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Go left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

organise a Top Gear style challenge to see for sure!

I'll be up for that
    athy ........awful

this is true. back in the olden days the main road to Cork went through Athy.

here's another interesting thing, my shiny new map of the world (all of it, indeed) published by the UK Indy, has only one road on it for the RoI, from Dublin to Cork, and it's clearly going to Waterford (via N11 I think) and down the N25. given that its irish owned you'd think they'd know....

I'll be up for that

Excellent! I was waiting for someone to bite! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dkettle

I did the round trip to Dublin (Tallaght) from close to the railway station in Clonmel early in the new year, up via Rosegreen, onto the M8 at Cashel, and so on, on a Saturday afternoon. I came back down via Carlow and Kilkenny around Sunday lunchtime, and the downward leg was almost half an hour longer than the upward.

I would say that the M8 is a no brainer, and it depends on what part of Clonmel you are heading to / from would determine your entry to / exit from the M8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Excellent! I was waiting for someone to bite! :D

i bite hard ;)

Well, according to Dkettle the M8 wins hands down, so I'd say there's little point in trying the experiment until the M9 opens.

But What got me thinking the other day

Was the when The Limerick M7 and M9 is fully complete you could travel to Wateford From Limerick completely motorway apart from Durrow to Kilkenny section. (20km or thereabouts) It would be longer than the N24 for sure. But the fact that it's majorly motorway would it make much difference.

There is slip roads off the M7 just before where the M7/M8 junction meets the R434 and onto Durrow. Then at Kilkenny is the M9 all the way down.

The M9 will win for sure when the Motorway is complete I would say
    The only non Motorway section is Kilkenny to Clonmel? How many kilometres is this? 30km?

Clonmel to Kilkenny took me about 50 minutes a few months ago.

But What got me thinking the other day

Was the when The Limerick M7 and M9 is fully complete you could travel to Wateford From Limerick completely motorway apart from Durrow to Kilkenny section. (20km or thereabouts) It would be longer than the N24 for sure. But the fact that it's majorly motorway would it make much difference.

There is slip roads off the M7 just before where the M7/M8 junction meets the R434 and onto Durrow. Then at Kilkenny is the M9 all the way down.

The M9 will win for sure when the Motorway is complete I would say
    The only non Motorway section is Kilkenny to Clonmel? How many kilometres is this? 30km?

Nah, I think even when the M9 and M7 are finished - it'd be much quicker to go via the N24. If the M7/M9 junction permitted all movements and was located 50 km west of where it is, then maybe...

But as it stands, taking the M7/M9 route would add more than 100 km to your journey, and a 120 km/h speed wouldn't offset that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wow-never figured there would be 2 pages when I checked back :).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Back in the 70 s then yes :D. But I live in Kilkenny and up to last year I nearly always went via the N78 to Dublin. But now with the M9 Carlow bypass there is no contest now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It is about 10 mins from the Cahir Junction on the M8 to the first Clonmel RA...I do it regularly too...takes me an hout to Cahir and 70 mins to Clonmel...
    10 mins at 100km/h = 16.7 odd KMs dont it?

Nah, I think even when the M9 and M7 are finished - it'd be much quicker to go via the N24. If the M7/M9 junction permitted all movements and was located 50 km west of where it is, then maybe...

But as it stands, taking the M7/M9 route would add more than 100 km to your journey, and a 120 km/h speed wouldn't offset that.

I know but it would be interesting to try it. Going all the way to Kilcullen would be really going out of your way.

The M7 swings to Aghaboe and you can turn for Durrow and the M7 is only about 5 mins from Durrow via the new interchange. From Kilkenny onwards it's motorway.

Limerick to Kilkenny would surely be this way. The road from Thurles- Kilkenny - Limerick should be upgraded seriously. But dunno if thats' gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

OP if you want your journey to be interesting, try the N76. There's a village along the way called NineMileHouse and it really has to be seen to be believed - the town that time forgot!

Advertisement