Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Bt Voyager 210 and Linksys WRT54g wireless router

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I'm trying to set up a wireless network with the BT Voyager 210 (non-wireless) model and a Linksys WRT54g wireless router.

I've gone through all the standard setup steps, which didn't work. While I can connect wirelessly to the router, I have no internet access. Of course, if I connect the rj45 cable directly from the BT Voyager modem to my computer, internet access is fine.

I've tried manually setting the PPPoE settings, and other random settings that seem to make sense, but with no luck.

Has anyone had any success with this configuration? All the BT website says is "Buy our wireless modem"

Thanks

Shane

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The routing function is being duplicated in both machines so you need to turn it off in one of them. Look for an option to turn off dhcp.

If you turn if off in the Voyager then the linksys will be doing all the hard work and if you turn it off in the linksys then it just becomes a wireless point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaneosullivan

Thanks for your reply - disabling the DHCP server on the wireless router worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Anothe roption would be changing the DHCP pool on the wireless router, so that say it hands out 10.0.0.X ip addresses, have the same setup in my house

For some reason, after about 30 minutes the first solution, of disabling the DNS, stopped working.

I've gotten it working again now by changing the Local IP Address of the wireless router to 10.0.0.1, and disabling the DNS. Both the modem and the wireless router had to powered off and on before it would work.

Hopefully it'll keep working this time, thanks for the suggestions guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

For some reason, after about 30 minutes the first solution, of disabling the DNS, stopped working.

I've gotten it working again now by changing the Local IP Address of the wireless router to 10.0.0.1, and disabling the DNS. Both the modem and the wireless router had to powered off and on before it would work.

Hopefully it'll keep working this time, thanks for the suggestions guys
    Why did you even change the IP details of the Linksys? You just need to do this:

Set the Voyager into Bridge Mode (192.168.1.1 > Advanced > Internet > Edit > Next > Bridging > Next > Next > Apply.

Now, turn off both, turn of the Voyager and then a 30 seconds later the Linksys. From here:

192.168.0.1 (Linksys Gateway) > Do your connection require a login > Yes > Enter your BB username and password > VPI 8 > VCI 35 > PPPoE > Always On > Done.

• Advertisement

The previous methods only seemed to work for a few hours, then the wireless would drop and not come back. Very strange.

I tried the last suggestion, and it worked just fine.... which was 5 minutes ago. Hopefully the connection will stay up this time!

Thanks for all the help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if there are any other wirless networks aroud you?

Google for netstumbler. Also any wireless gizmos in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just wondering if you've upgraded the firmware in your WRT54?

I'd also like to know if you've upgraded the firmware, and if so, to what. I can't find the 'Advanced' option in my admin application.

Apologies cpu-dude, I really should have read your message properly. The solution is to change the settings on the Voyager cable mode, NOT the wireless router.

Thanks again

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement