Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows not working

• 14-04-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Have an IBM thinkpad that had genuine windows xp, the laptop now giving error loading operating system on bootup. What can I do for all the info or is it lost forever. I know I need to reinstall windows but I have no backup disk or anything. How do i go about fixing this? Not very good at all this so any information appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

All of your private info should still be there, and you can install a fresh copy of windows without overwriting your own stuff. Insert the Windows CD while the laptop starts up and you'll be taken to the installation screen series.

Alternatively, have you tried to enter safe mode? I think you get to it by pressing 'F8' at some point during boot-up.

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I tried pressing F8 while booting but did nothing, tried the other function keys but it just locked me out, it didn't allow me to boot in safe mode. Will have to get a boot disk of windows and reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

what's the error message you're getting?

If the error is indeed "Error loading operating system" this is generated by the MBR, it's quite possible that the partition table is damaged or the hard disk is dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 furryone

Sounds like karsini is on the money here.If I were you I'd stop trying to get it to work and get into recovery mode here.If you're handy take the hard drive out and i dont want to scare you but if the hard drive is dying it wont be long before it just wont work.Transfer the drive into an external caddy and plug it into another pc and back it all up.Alternatively you could get Hirens boot cd and boot the laptop of the cd and you'll be able to view whats on the drive to see if the partition is in good order.If it is in good order again back it all up onto an exteranl usb drive.Anytime i come across this problem doin the day to day its best to do the above.Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement