Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 China GP General Discussion with loads of spoilers!

• 15-04-2009 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think I'll bother with any predictions until tomorrow. :P

Hopefully with the race a bit earlier than Malaysia there won't be such heavy rain likely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The afternoon is D-Day for the diffusers argument. If they are deemed illegal it's going to upset the weekend; what do the teams with them do?!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The afternoon is D-Day for the diffusers argument. If they are deemed illegal it's going to upset the weekend; what do the teams with them do?!

Take em off? :P

Either way everything should be even closer than the first two races, either the three teams take their diffusers off or the other seven attach some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Oh it's that straightforward (this rule has really caught me out - just look at my Prediction comp stats! :( ). I had heard (on BBC) that if deemed legal, other teams would have to develop it...and it could mean designing a new gearbox - thought it might be that complicated to remove it too!

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Oh it's that straightforward (this rule has really caught me out - just look at my Prediction comp stats! :( ). I had heard (on BBC) that if deemed legal, other teams would have to develop it...and it could mean designing a new gearbox - thought it might be that complicated to remove it too!

Well it's not just a matter of sticking a new diffuser on, but Team India's boss admitted at the Aussie GP during practice on BBC that they had already started working on a similar solution, so if Team India were doing so and planned to have it ready for this weekend if needed, I'm sure the other, better funded teams were doing the same. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not as simple as a bolt on job.
    Ferrari have said it will be basically a whole new chassis.. Could take a couple of months to perfect :o

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Ferrari have said it will be basically a whole new chassis.. Could take a couple of months to perfect :o

Different for different teams perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Mini competition which of the non diffuser teams will have one installed at a race first?
    I'm going to say McLaren they are already struggling with downforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

ill go with ferrari (i hope!!!!)

Red Bull looking good. 11/1 Vettel for the win in China, get on it before his price tumbles over the weekend.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Mini competition which of the non diffuser teams will have one installed at a race first?
    I'm going to say McLaren they are already struggling with downforce.

Renault will be first to have one :cool:

• Advertisement

Renault will be first to have one :cool:

Renault & McLaren change diffuser
    Looks like Renault and McLaren will be running new diffusers in china. ;)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Renault & McLaren change diffuser
    Looks like Renault and McLaren will be running new diffusers in china. ;)

Haha
    SNAP.!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Two-time world champion Alonso was this week quoted as saying: "We have done what the FIA wanted us to do and because of that are being beaten by teams that did what the FIA didn't want."
    A statement from the Japanese team said: "Our team studied the wording of the new 2009 regulations in precise detail to ensure we interpreted them correctly.

"We also made full use of the consultation procedure with the FIA which was a helpful process to ensure our interpretation of the technical regulations was correct.

tells you all you need to know about the diffuser row.
    They're legal, they were always legal, they were submitted to the FIA and they were approved before the cars ever touched a circuit.

Alonso didn't seem to have too many problems with Renault's interpretation of rules like "don't steal data from competing teams for 2 years running".

tells you all you need to know about the diffuser row.
    They're legal, they were always legal, they were submitted to the FIA and they were approved before the cars ever touched a circuit.

Alonso didn't seem to have too many problems with Renault's interpretation of rules like "don't steal data from competing teams for 2 years running".

I find it amusing that several PROFFESIONAL members of formula one including the Infamous Adrian Newey whom I may point out would be laughing at your comment regarding it "was always legal" What do you know that they dont??

Helmut Marko's words =
    "What angers us is the fact that we had approached Whiting (Charlie Whiting, FIA delegate and race director) for a clarification on a diffuser solution like the one in question and we were told it was illegal, therefore we did not pursue it any further though our design team had similar ideas (pre-season)," Marko continued.

"I wonder what impact this will have on cornering speeds - I assume there will be problems soon when cars are going too fast, and the airflow the double diffuser creates will make overtaking more difficult again, for sure, thus it is against the spirit of the rules agreed in the working groups."

TAKEN FROM THIS ARTICLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

amacachi wrote: »
    Red Bull looking good. 11/1 Vettel for the win in China, get on it before his price tumbles over the weekend.

Unless your going for a hefty E/W I wouldnt bother, the Brawns will be down the road again...or at least Jenson will :p, poor Rubens 'always' the bridesmaid :rolleyes:

me@ucd wrote: »
    Unless your going for a hefty E/W I wouldnt bother, the Brawns will be down the road again...or at least Jenson will :p, poor Rubens 'always' the bridesmaid :rolleyes:

If you say so. :)

Anyone else staying up for the practice? Just watching the BBC's classic Chinese Grands Prix at the moment, hopefully they'll be showing the 2007 one soon, haven't seen that joyful moment when someone drove into the gravel trap in months :D:P

yep I will, but when you say "staying up" you mean to watch it right?
    if so where or should \I say what service?

Ive looked through the guide for BBC and Setanta, and only PRA 2 is on at 7am :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Anyone else staying up for the practice?

yeah going to stay up and watch fp1

Grim. wrote: »
    yeah going to stay up and watch fp1

wheres it on then? nothin in the guide for BBC1

Red button on BBC at 3 o'clock. :)

Seeing Hamilton in the gravel there, priceless. :P

• Advertisement

doh! still on cable :(
    guess the live timing will have to do...again..:D

doh! still on cable :(
    guess the live timing will have to do...again..:D

Sorry, assumed when ya mentioned Setanta you'd have Sky.

Anyone know what the weather's meant to be like at the moment?

just winding up the carrier pigeon hang on a sec....

Should be bright and sunny for PRA, Drizzle Quali and LOTS of Rain for the race :(

have you checked out the live timing feed then? (gives all circuit info for all cars, sec times, lap times, laps, in-out pits, its great!)

Hmmm, that's what google suggests, though the track is outside the city so it's not completely accurate.

I can't believe the BBC would show News 24 on the main channel rather than the Practice, I'm sure they're paying a flat rate for the rights.

no its all the sign zone rubbish on :mad:

Wish I had a right to properly complain about the BBC. :P

They're criticising Kimi for being out of the car so early after the last race. Think it's BS myself, it was fairly obvious the race wasn't going to restart and if it did under the safety car it wasn't like he was going to make any gains.

Just can't understand why the teams don't make more use of the practice sessions.

Also, the Super-Soft and Medium tyres have been brought to this race. So either a very short stint during a 2-stop strategy or else a 3-stopper for the race. Can see traffic and luck with track position playing a big role on Sunday. :)

Wish I had a right to properly complain about the BBC. :P

Just can't understand why the teams don't make more use of the practice sessions.

Saving tyres...

Wow Macca back on top...very promising practice for them...looks like their new diffuser is doing the 'trick' :p

• Advertisement

Save tyres yes, but with no testing during the season this is the only time they have to try new things.

Fairly uneventful session tbh, none of the drivers seemed to be going full tilt other than the Force Indias from what I could see.

Due think Macca really have bounced back that quick? I mean when they were bad it was reflected in their pra pace, but now they're right up there! or do you reckon they are trying something different like 3 stops running.

and round 2 or bed time :p

Due think Macca really have bounced back that quick? I mean when they were bad it was reflected in their pra pace, but now they're right up there! or do you reckon they are trying something different like 3 stops running.

and round 2 or bed time :p

I went to bed after the first practice and judging from the times in second practice McLaren must've been running lighter than the rest in first practice it seems.

I'm wondering when the teams will use the supersoft tyres in the race, obviously no-one wants to pit after 5/6 laps but if they do it later and there's a safety car they'll be screwed.

I went to bed after the first practice and judging from the times in second practice McLaren must've been running lighter than the rest in first practice it seems.

I'm wondering when the teams will use the supersoft tyres in the race, obviously no-one wants to pit after 5/6 laps but if they do it later and there's a safety car they'll be screwed.

I think they feel that the supersoft are holding up better than OZ.
    so maybe 8-10 laps wouldnt be so bad for someone running light to get to the front and get the SS tyres out of the way early hoping for a safety car :)

I think they feel that the supersoft are holding up better than OZ.
    so maybe 8-10 laps wouldnt be so bad for someone running light to get to the front and get the SS tyres out of the way early hoping for a safety car :)
    When was that said? Last I heard was they expect them to last 5-6 laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 lilywhites1982

I couldn't believe it when I recently read the Jenson Button is 11/10 to win this year's F1 title. There's only been bloody three races and now he's already tight favourite. I don understant that the Brawn GP car is flying but is this not a bit short! Button to win this one anway.. Three in a row

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe it when I recently read the Jenson Button is 11/10 to win this year's F1 title. There's only been bloody three races and now he's already tight favourite. I don understant that the Brawn GP car is flying but is this not a bit short! Button to win this one anway.. Three in a row

Very short price, but tbh there's no-one else really standing out from the field. Only for bad luck in Australia and the penalty because of it Vettel would be up with Barrichello at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Moved arguement to the Diffuser thread

see response there

When was that said? Last I heard was they expect them to last 5-6 laps.

I read it was 6 - 7 laps
    F1's tyre supplier confident speed drop-off of the super-soft tyres won't be as big as in Oz.

Quote from Kimi
    "The balance of the car isn't bad and you can't feel the lack of KERS," Räikkönen said. "The point is that we are too slow compared to the teams currently at the top. We must try and improve the car; at the moment, we are not able to fight for the title. We must not give up the fight because, with the whole team working hard, we can get back into a winning position. It's not an easy time, but our group is strong and we know what needs to be done to get out of this situation - the softer tyre (Super Soft) seems to work better than it did in Australia."

I can only assume he means they hold up better which in turn I would expect them to last a lap or two as a result.

Fair enough, really didn't seem like that in FP.

Fair enough, really didn't seem like that in FP.

True
    But
    we wont know until the red lights ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I'm a fan of these new tyre rules, i mean i want closer racing but i dont wont it artificially introduced by bridgestone purposely picking a bad tyre for the race. Just so there can be a big discussion(advertisement) of bridgestone tyres over the weekend.

I think the super soft tyres is the real reason Ferrari are running without kers, they want the car extra ballast spread out to reduce tyreware so they can go longer on the softer tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looking at the weather forecasts it looks like a dry qualificiation and probably dry race too though not sure yet. Rain will be approaching Shanghai on Sunday. Whether it arrives on time to affect the race is anyone's guess. Maybe some light rain towards the end of the race.

I thought tyre warmers were banned this season yet I keep seeing them.:confused:

Probably just covers.

Why the **** didn't I put somethin on Vettel to win the race!? :P

Looking forward to seeing the fuel loads later to see how genuine everything is. Vettel being a quarter of a second or so ahead of Webber looks a bit dodgy.

Why the **** didn't I put somethin on Vettel to win the race!? :P
    Because he wont win
    Guaranteed he is running light as is Webber
    It will be a white/yellow car to win again Id say :o

As a rule of thumb, 10kg of fuel lasts four to five laps while 10kg of fuel slows the car by roughly 0.3s a lap – depending on the circuit type and length.

1. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 644kg
    2. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 637
    3. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 646.5
    4. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 661
    5. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 659
    6. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 664.5
    7. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 650.5
    8. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 673.5
    9. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 679
    10. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 673
    11. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 679
    12. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 697
    13. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 690
    14. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 682.7
    15. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 690
    16. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 697.9
    17. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 659
    18. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 648
    19. Timo Glock, Toyota, 652
    20. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India, 679.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Desmondo2000

Great job today by Fernando who I think is the best driver in F1 hopefully a big fat W tomorrow.

Because he wont win
    Guaranteed he is running light as is Webber
    It will be a white/yellow car to win again Id say :o

If Rosberg gets one of his insanely good starts again then that will have the Brawns back to 5th and 6th, tough to win a GP from there.

If Rosberg gets one of his insanely good starts again then that will have the Brawns back to 5th and 6th, tough to win a GP from there.

True
    but
    I dont think I would bet on it.:o

True
    but
    I dont think I would bet on it.:o

If you were offered evens on Button, 2/1 on Barrichello and 11/1 Vettel and you were forced to put a euro on one of them which would you do? :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement