Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banjo!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I know nothing about playing the banjo so the only advice I can offer is from the perspective of a guitar player. When I starting playing, I picked up the cheapest guitar I could afford because it was all so new to me I wouldn't have been able to appreciate a high-quality instrument. I imagine that holds true for most musical instruments. The other thing is that you don't want to be stuck with an expensive ornament if you decide you don't like playing the banjo.

So, in a nutshell, I would just buy an entry-level one and start playing. After a few months you'll know whether you want to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've decided I'm going to learn to play the banjo! :) I'm just wondering would it be worth splashing out on a decent one or just one for 150e or something? I'm looking at a closed back 5 string banjo:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bargain-Five-String-Bluegrass-Banjo-with-Closed-Back_W0QQitemZ270368107740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item270368107740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

Any experienced players here that would like to give me some tips on starting out? Thanks.

I'm a tenor player so no use to you on the advice really, but just thought i'd tell you about this website:
    http://www.banjohangout.org/
    very useful, has lessons, tab and great banjo forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Cheers thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I started learning last christmas Mr frost, with a present of a entry level fender. I was thrilled with it but soon realised as soon as I started lessons that it didn't sound like it should,like a banjo in other words.I ended up buying a Recording King RK20 in X-music,which although still an entry level,has an all important tone ring which gives the banjo that bell like sound.The fender didn't have one,so sounded more like a guitar.The banjo in your link and the fender where probably made in the same factory,same parts,or lack of them.Waltons carry Deering banjos,monastry in clondalkin carry Goldtone,so it might be worth just having a look and listen at some,both high end and cheap,before you make a decision.I'd recommend Janet Davies book,You can teach yourself 5 string banjo also,my teacher bases his lessons with me around it and it's one of the most popular books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

It can be a bit tricky at first if you're teaching yourself and already play guitar etc. I was like that when I took up the Irish tenor a few years, and had difficulty with picking patterns and that, but a bitta practice and you'll be grand. Just recently took up 5 string banjo and I'm teaching myself with http://ezfolk.com . Great website with loads of tutorials, videos, tabs etc. It is a bit tough but that's mostly because clawhammer much different from guitar, mando, tenor banjo (although you probably won't be frailing on a closed back). Also, I'd go for a decent banjo cos chances are you're not gonna need lessons so whatever money you would've spent on them just put towards the banjo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement