Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kawasaki Ninja 250

• 15-04-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Not a biker at the moment but wanna get started.
    What are peoples opinions on the Ninja 250?
    I think they look the job, are under the 33bhp and are fairly well priced on the net for a 2008.
    Has anyone here any experience of them or what they're like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They look nice alright. Never had a go of one though. Cant imagine it been as much fun as the cbr250 but as I said I never rode one. Never heard anything bad about them from people who have rode one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Look the biz alright. Dunno about reliability or whatnot though so check that out.

Also, that plastic fairing is expensive so if you drop it, which you will no doubt, it'll be expensive to fix.

If I were you I'd consider a new-faired bike first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Fabio wrote: »
    If I were you I'd consider a new-faired bike first...

What's that?? something like a Hornet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Yupp, Hornet, Bandit, Bros. They're all good starter bikes. Naked bikes are easier to work on, and there's less easily damaged parts if you should have a spill. Don't think Fabio was tryin to put the shits into you, but it is fairly common to have one or two spills starting off. Fairings are generally quite expensive to replace (and possibly get repainted).

Good luck starting out mate. 'nothing in the world like biking.

Sorry fella meant "non-faired" bikes!!! New-faired...where is my head these days?!

Anyway, as Dob said, not trying to scare you, I've only been on bikes since October myself but have covered three or four thousand miles already on her and havent fallen yet really. I did fall down when the bike fell over due to me leaving the disk lock on haha!

My Innova is plastic everywhere so I'm careful of dropping it...a naked bike like a Hornet or a Bandit would be grand for you but the Hornet is expensive secondhand and the Bandit is not available in 250cc I don't think.

A good condition Honda Bros would be fine I'd say, its 400cc and is under the legal limit so you don't need a restrictor but there are plenty of other bikes out there that are legal due to their weight and stuff so decide on what type of bike you like, search and see if its ok for you and if it ain't but you love it anyway get it restricted!

By the way, insurance compnaies prefer non-sport bikes as far as I know...a Ninja will cost a lot more than an old Bros to insure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Fabio wrote: »
    Sorry fella meant "non-faired" bikes!!! New-faired...where is my head these days?!

Anyway, as Dob said, not trying to scare you, I've only been on bikes since October myself but have covered three or four thousand miles already on her and havent fallen yet really. I did fall down when the bike fell over due to me leaving the disk lock on haha!

My Innova is plastic everywhere so I'm careful of dropping it...a naked bike like a Hornet or a Bandit would be grand for you but the Hornet is expensive secondhand and the Bandit is not available in 250cc I don't think.

A good condition Honda Bros would be fine I'd say, its 400cc and is under the legal limit so you don't need a restrictor but there are plenty of other bikes out there that are legal due to their weight and stuff so decide on what type of bike you like, search and see if its ok for you and if it ain't but you love it anyway get it restricted!

By the way, insurance compnaies prefer non-sport bikes as far as I know...a Ninja will cost a lot more than an old Bros to insure!

no it won't !!! the ninja is a great bike to start on it looks sporty ,but it has a very tractable engine,much better for a learner than the revvy(peaky) cbr250rr...as i said it looks sporty but underneath it all fairly basic, good but basic, the engine is an updated version of the gpx 250,which has being around(mostly in usa) for over 20 years, you can get r&g crash bungs which will protect the fairings if you let the bike fall, and the only thing i would say is to change the tyres ,i hear they come with budget tyres, get bridgestone or dunlop,etc......

ninja be grand on insurance starting out I'd imagine

Ok then fair enough the Ninja'd be fine on insurance then, I bow to yer superior knowledge on that :)

As for crash bungs...I dunno, would they protect the whole fairing?

they will help but its not definate if they will protect the whole fairing. Could protect the fairing and angle your bike so the tank scrapes along the road lol.

Yeah fabio the ninja 250 was designed to be new rider friendly. What with insurance quotes and all that been so high. I cant imagine the ninja 250 stretching your arms or anything but it be grand to start off on. According to some sites its only 25bhp. Id imagine an nsr 125 would probably leave it for dust to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

anyone who has had one for a while care to comment on whats its like to live with?
    I have heard the updated version from 2010 onwards are a bit better,
    Am looking to get rid of my restricted CBR600,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just be carefull in relation to actually fitting the bike. I had a little spin on one and I swear I felt like a sardine in a tin. The bike itself is a great looking bike and I would say its bags of fun. I am not a huge guy (6'1ft and 16st) but it felt really arkward on it, very cramped.

I would prefer a CB250 TBH.

Happy biking mate. ;)

its why i went with the cbr in the first place i am not small am a big lad at almost 13.5 stone and 6 foot odd, the cbr seemed to fit nicely but in all honestly its a terrible bike restricted, its happened now a few times that the power just dies off right when you need it, and i think changing to something like the ninja or the smaller cbr is the way to go,

I am not convinced about the cbr250, it looks ok in my book but the single cylinder to me seems like a problem, will it not be screaming when at motorway speeds, i drove the new ninja 250 on the M50 a while back and it didnt seem too bad, i just dont want something that sounds like a 50cc with the restrictor off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭prunudo

seanybiker wrote: »

According to some sites its only 25bhp.

I'd imagine they are confusing kw & hp as 25kw is 33hp.
    I have a 08 ninja and can't fault it in the slightest, been on it the last year and it still brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it. I'm 5'10 and about 14 stone aswell and it has no problem hauling my ass to decent speeds in relatively quick time for a little bike.

jvan wrote: »
    I'd imagine they are confusing kw & hp as 25kw is 33hp.
    I have a 08 ninja and can't fault it in the slightest, been on it the last year and it still brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it. I'm 5'10 and about 14 stone aswell and it has no problem hauling my ass to decent speeds in relatively quick time for a little bike.

they are 33 hp i did a search and this was the thread i came up with, so i think they are old enough posts...
    Is it the updated model you have?
    how do you find it, to be honest i wont be using it for commuting everyday but if the weather is like this i will use it everyday, small bit of a sunny day rider have no real desire to be riding in the rain when i dont have to....well not starting out anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭prunudo

@ eurofoxy

I can't fault the bike at all as a learner legal. I don't commute on it either and only use as a recreational bike. Sometimes I look at her and think it's a bit small looking but tbh once your riding it you forget about it. It's more than capable for a spin over the Wicklow Gap.
    It's the new shape model but I'm not sure what changed on 2010 model so can't compare.

Advertisement