Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70-300mm lens VR

• 15-04-2009 4:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Love taking pictures of the motorbike road racing.
    My camera is a nikon d80 and lens is a 70-300mm 1:4-5.5G and the problem i have is at low shutter speeds and iso at 125&320 my pictures are blurred and i just want to know if i get the
    70-300mm vr lens would it make a difference

C4083ED55DB24E8C8820138090257646-800.jpg
    E41E82B292DC41A2B714C194CA6DB4CA-800.jpg
    4B21D577D88043DD8F1F7166A7AB886F-800.jpg

any help would be great on this and sorry about my name across them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

First of all thats called panning and it gives a great sense of speed and motion.The vr will do nothing and i think i've read that using canons IS system while panning messes up the shot.First you need to up your ISO if that still doesn't work you'll need to get some f/2.8 glass like the nikon 80-200 or the sigma 70-200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

changing the lens wont change your pics much.....as Ricky said a 70-200 f2.8 will make a difference - but its technique that you need to master.

you seem to get close to what you want by panning - (keep practicing that) - try a higher shutter speed (and/or) maybe a higher ISO (but given the bright daylight I wouldnt go above ISO400)

anyway - keep going, you are nearly there

you could try taking the pics from another angle (Straight on / overhead/ from outside instead of inside line) and maybe start shooting as the driver brings the bike in front of you (track the driver and shoot him/her as they pass you)
    - all the pics seem to be taken as the driver passes away from you.

Ensure that the focus is in servo mode, high enough shutter speed and pan away !!! (Best of luck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

VR will help your panning
    The VR is able to detect that you are panning and only corrects for camera shake in the vertical direction as you pan. Of course that's if you have the VR turned on. It does the same if you are shooting perpendicular (horizontal only) to the motion of a vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Canon IS mode 2 will help with panning too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spankey

cant afford the bigger lens yet, but maybe some day and thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement