Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Forum Recipes

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 100ml milk
    * 2 tbsp plain flour
    * salt and freshly ground pepper
    * 1 egg, beaten
    * 150g dried white breadcrumbs
    * 4 skinless chicken breasts, with fillets
    * sunflower or groundnut oil for deep-frying

For the garlic butter

* 100g unsalted butter, softened
    * 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    * 1 heaped tbsp finely chopped parsley
    * 1 tsp lemon juice
    * salt and freshly ground pepper

Method: How to make chicken kievs recipe

1. Begin by making the garlic butter. Mix all the ingredients together really well, then form into a neat pat and chill or freeze until hard.

2. When you’re ready to assemble the kievs, put the milk in a shallow dish, season the flour and put on a plate, put the beaten egg in another dish, and finally put the breadcrumbs on a plate.

3. With a very sharp knife, carefully slit each chicken breast along one side, down almost the whole length, parallel to the grain of the meat, to a depth of about 4cm. Give the thick part of the breast a few firm bashes with a rolling pin to flatten and spread it a little. This helps reduce the cooking time. Slice the hard garlic butter into four pieces and put one inside each chicken breast – cutting the butter to fit the hole if necessary. Use the fillets to close up the breasts.
    chicken kievs

4. Carefully dip each stuffed breast in milk, then flour, then egg. Finally, give it a good coating of breadcrumbs. If you have time, chill the kievs for half an hour, then repeat the egg and breadcrumb coating to give a double layer. This makes it particularly hard for any garlic butter to escape, and gives you an extra crisp finish.

5. The breasts need to be fried fairly gently if they are to cook through before the breadcrumbs burn. Heat your oil to 160C in a large sauce pan or deep fat fryer. Fry the kievs, turning occasionally and very carefully, for 12 minutes at least – 15 if you can get away with it – until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.

And if your kids don't like veg, just hide some in with the sauce. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Xiney wrote: »
    Mr T, quit winding people up or I'll have Mrs T suspend your internet privileges and send you on an endless quest to buy pickle flavoured ice cream (or some other suitably impossible to find craving)

Pickled Ice Cream

This clever ice cream recipe is best served as soon as it's firm – while the nuggets of pickle are still slightly crisp. The clever bit is adding the pickles to the ice cream at the end of making the ice cream.

Serves 8
    Takes 25 minutes to make, plus overnight chilling and freezing
    Nutritional Information

Per serving:
    471kcals
    31.8g fat (18.7g saturated)
    4.7g protein
    44.1g carbs
    36.9g sugar
    0.2g salt
    Ingredients

* 300ml full-cream milk
    * 284ml carton double cream
    * 5 large egg yolks
    * 120g golden caster sugar
    * 2 tsp vanilla extract
    * 400g Pickles
    * 25g unsalted butter
    * 50g golden granulated sugar, to taste

Method: How to make pickled ice cream

1. Pour the milk and cream into a small pan and bring just to the boil.

2. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a bowl, until pale and creamy.

3. Gradually stir the hot milk and cream mixture into the yolk mixture. Return to the pan over a low heat and cook, stirring, until it's thick enough to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the vanilla extract, then set aside to cool. Chill overnight – this will speed up the freezing process.

4. To make the ice cream, churn the custard in an ice cream maker until nearly firm. Add the pickles & lightly mix through, then serve straightaway.

She may have to wait a bit, but it'll be well worth it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

3 minute garlic bread.

Garlic.
    Butter.
    Bread.

Gently crush a garlic clove(s) with the side of your knife until the clove slips out of its skin, roughly chop the garlic. Place in a small ceramic container, add butter and microwave until the butter is melted, meanwhile toast bread.
    When the bread is toasted pour butter over bread and eat.

The proportion of butter to garlic is up to your own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oooh you can also sprinkle parmesean and parsley on top. om nom nom nom!

...and now I know that I shall be making spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Beans on toast:

Beans.
    Bread.
    Butter.

Put the beans into a microwavable bowl, cover and heat in a microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and heat for another 2 minutes.
    Put 2 slices of bread into the toaster, when they pop add butter to taste.
    Serve and enjoy.

ok don't take the piss guys...

ps butter!? on beans & toast!? eurgh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You need to put cheese on top of the beans on toast, it's the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Penne Pasta with Spinach and Bacon

INGREDIENTS

* 340 g penne pasta
    * 30 ml olive oil, divided
    * 6 slices bacon, chopped
    * 15 g minced garlic
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    * 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size piece

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta, and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place bacon in the skillet, and cook until browned and crisp. Add garlic, and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook until heated through.

3. Place the spinach into a colander, and drain the hot pasta over it so it is wilted. Transfer to a large serving bowl, and toss with the remaining olive oil, and the bacon and tomato mixture.

what type of cheese, Val?

This is an entirely new concept to me.

Peanut Butter Bars

INGREDIENTS

* 260 g peanut butter
    * 85 g butter
    * 165 g packed brown sugar
    * 100 g white sugar
    * 5 ml vanilla extract
    * 3 eggs
    * 125 g of flour
    * 335 g of chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix peanut butter, butter or margarine, and sugars until creamy. Stir in vanilla. Beat in eggs. Mix in flour. Stir in 3/4c chocolate chips. Spread dough into a greased pan.

2. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes and spread. Cool, and cut into bars.

Cheese on beans on toast..I've never heard of that.

I can however imagine a bit of Gouda or Emmental tasting quite good with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

add butter to taste.
    ps butter!? on beans & toast!? eurgh!

If it's not to your taste - don't add it. The recipe is sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

When i make beans on toast I start by cooking off some finely chopped onion and chilli and garlic in butter until they are soft, then adding some cayenne papper, paprika (and whatever you feel like generally. Then add your tin of beans- bachelors or heinz only for me! When it gets hot, add in a sqirt of ketchup to thicken and flavour.

I sometimes add a little more butter to stir through at the end to make it tastier!
    yom yom!

Where did you discover that. Did you just say to yourself one day while making beans on toast that you should add all these spices and what not and then you discovered that you actually liked it.

Sounds revolting to me:(

sounds nice, but no ketchup for me...

sounds nice, but no ketchup for me...

Are you a really fussy eater Xiney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Yeah for recipe thread!!! :D:D:D:D
    I can feel new cravings coming on!! My favourite cheese for over beans would be very strong cheddar. I'm going to dig out a few of our favourites to add.

not really, no... I'm probably the least picky out of anyone I know.

I'll try anything once*

*may apply elsewhere (fnar fnar)

Crepes with Spinach, Bacon and Mushroom Filling

INGREDIENTS

* 1 recipe Basic Crepes

* 6 slices bacon
    * 15 g unsalted butter
    * 225 g fresh mushrooms, sliced

* 45 g unsalted butter
    * 30 g all-purpose flour
    * 235 ml milk
    * 284 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    * 4 g chopped fresh parsley
    * 10 g grated Parmesan cheese
    * salt and pepper to taste

* 160 ml chicken broth
    * 2 eggs
    * 120 ml lemon juice
    * salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare Basic Crepes recipe according to recipe directions. Separate with wax paper and keep warm until ready to serve.

2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Reserve about 1 tablespoon drippings, add 1 tablespoon butter, and saute mushrooms.

3. In a separate saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour, stirring constantly, until a smooth paste is formed. Gradually stir in 1 cup milk, stirring constantly until a smooth thick gravy is formed. Add bacon, mushrooms, spinach, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Let cook until somewhat thick, about 10 minutes.

4. In saucepan bring broth to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice. Temper eggs and broth together whisking constantly so as to cook, but not to scramble the eggs. (Cooking eggs to 170 degrees F). Again, salt and pepper to taste.

5. Fill each crepe with spinach and meat filling, roll up, and top with warm egg sauce.

Basic Crepes

INGREDIENTS

* 125 g all-purpose flour
    * 2 eggs
    * 120 ml milk
    * 120 ml water
    * 2 g salt
    * 30 g butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.

3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.

Seems you're quite the chef!

Whoodathunkit

• Advertisement

I'm full of surprises I am.

Cooking is one of my passions,I love it.I always wanted to be a chef when I was younger and I would still love to be but it's the unsociable hours that put me off and there isn't a great income from it until you become a highly recognized chef like those celebrity chefs. There is nothing better than good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

You seem to like your spinach Bobcar. I can't stand the stuff

It's give you muscles:D:D

I like it but it's not my favorite.

My ma is Donauschwäbisch, so this is part German, part Yugoslav. I never measure this because I learned to make it at my mother's knee. It's a pretty standard concept anyway.

- boneless pork chops (one per person)
    - flour with salt (celery salt is nice if you've got it)
    - egg, beaten with a bit of milk
    - breadcrumbs, with pepper & paprika mixed in
    - butter, to fry
    - wedges lemon and parsley, to serve

1. Name the pork chops after your problems. This is an important step.
    2. Beat the ever loving sh!t out of the pork chops with a meat mallet. This is called "catharsis".
    3. When the pork chops are all nice and thin (1/4 inch or so, and even) coat them in the seasoned flour, then into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs.
    4. Fry the schnitzels. Laugh, maniacly. (This is important as it is a German dish)
    5. When they are nice and crispy golden brown, remove them onto paper towels and keep warm in the oven until you are finished all of them. Serve as immediately as possible.
    6. To eat, squeeze lemon juice onto them. The stuff that comes in those little yellow bottles will not cut it for this, I'm afraid.

Great with salad. Also quite nice the next day in a sandwich, although these are definitely not a very good leftover food.

Steak Stir-Fry

INGREDIENTS

* 3 g beef bouillon granules
    * 235 ml boiling water
    * 15 g cornstarch
    * 80 ml soy sauce
    * 455 g boneless sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
    * 3 g garlic clove, minced
    * 2 g ground ginger
    * 0.5 g pepper
    * 30 ml vegetable oil, divided
    * 1 large green pepper, julienned
    * 135 g sliced carrots or celery
    * 5 green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
    * Hot cooked rice

DIRECTIONS

1. Dissolve bouillon in water. Combine the cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth; add to bouillon. Set aside.

2. Toss beef with garlic, ginger and pepper.

3. In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until cooked as desired; remove and keep warm.

4. Heat remaining oil; stir-fry vegetables until crisp-tender. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to the skillet; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Return meat to pan and heat through. Serve over rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

what type of cheese, Val?

This is an entirely new concept to me.

Mature cheddar...it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

10 minute Rioja With Steak in its own Pan Gravy.

Steak (Enough for two)
    Rioja (Enough for two)
    Oil & Seasoning
    Butter.
    Significant Other.

Dispatch S.O. to P Borza or Chipper of choice with instructions to buy two bags of chips and to ring you when they are 10 minutes from home.

Meanwhile Season steak with Salt, pepper garlic whatever you like.
    Get a heavy pan smoking hot, add a little oil. When the oil is sizzling hot then add the steak, make sure the steak has not stuck to the pan, if your pan and oil are hot enough it will not stick. Cook on both sides as you desire (without moving or agitating it in any way). Do not crowd the pan, if your portions are large you will have to cook them separately.

Remove the steak from pan to a warm plate, add a few glugs of Rioja to deglaze the pan, cook off the alcohol from the wine. You may add a little water to augment the gravy if you need to, or if you have excess liquid reduce until you have a thin and intense gravy covering the bottom of the pan. Remove pan from heat and allow the gravy to cool a little, add a knob of butter and any juices that have collected on the steak plate to the gravy and stir through until the butter has just melted. Put the steak on separate plates and drizzle over the gravy. Serve with the rest of the wine and the chips that should be just coming in the door. Some salad leaves would be good here too.

If you don't like or don't have Rioja use another robust red. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You could use Port or Madeira or Marsala, or a dark beer at a pinch.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I can't take the credit for these as I got it straight from the cooking and recipe forum but I made them a couple of weeks ago and they are without doubt the best cookie recipe ever. Just like the ones you get in M&S apparently!!

INGREDIENTS
    250 g all-purpose flour
    2 g baking soda
    3 g salt
    170 g unsalted butter, melted
    220 g packed brown sugar
    100 g white sugar
    15 ml vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    335 g semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
    Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
    In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
    Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

• Advertisement

This is how I made it tonight. It's different every time I make it, depending on what I've got on hand. Red wine is nice in the sauce, but finishing off the bottle with dinner adds a lot of calories ;)
    • one large yellow onion, diced
    • at least 5 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1 tbsp oil
    • 400g mince beef
    • punnet white mushrooms, sliced
    • three pack tri colour peppers, diced
    • courgette, diced
    • 1 litre passata
    • 2 tins tomatoes
    • basil
    • oregano
    • salt
    • pepper
    1. Fry the onion and the garlic in the oil until softened
    2. Add the beef and brown
    3. Toss in the veggies and fry a bit
    4. Add the passata, tomatoes, herbs and seasonings
    5. Put the cover on and simmer on low while you start the water boiling for the spaghetti and make some garlic bread. This will mean it should simmer for around 25 minutes.

Advertisement