Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Forum Recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Bit of an unusual one here but very tasty.

Pumpkin Creme Brulee

Ingredients

* 3 large egg yolks
    * 1/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    * 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
    * 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1/8 teaspoon ginger
    * 1/8 teaspoon cloves
    * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 3 tablespoons light brown sugar

Directions

1. In a heavy sauce pan heat egg yolks with sugar until blended then stir in pumpkin, whipping cream and spices and cook over medium-low heat stirring until mixture coats back of a silver spoon about 10-15 minutes (do not boil).

2. Stir in vanilla then pour into a 1-quart casserole and refrigerate 6 hours or longer.

3. 2 hours before serving soft brown sugar over chilled mixture and broil 4 minutes to allow sugar to melt.

4. Serve with fresh fruit if desired.

You will be pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It sounds wonderful!

This is not mine, it has been in the house for a while, Mum took it out of a magazine as it was so unusual she just had to hold onto it.

Bacon Ice Cream

Ingredients

* For the candied bacon;
    * 5 strips bacon
    * about 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    * For the ice cream custard:
    * 3 tablespoons (45g) salted butter
    * ¾ cup (packed) brown sugar (170g), light or dark (you can use either)
    * 675ml cup half-and-half
    * 5 large egg yolks
    * 2 teaspoons dark rum or whiskey
    * ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
    * optional: ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. To candy the bacon, preheat the oven to 400F (200C).

2. Lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or aluminum foil, shiny side down.

3. Sprinkle 1½-2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over each strip of bacon, depending on length.

4. Bake for 12-16 minutes. Midway during baking, flip the bacon strips over and drag them through the dark, syrupy liquid that's collected on the baking sheet. Continue to bake until as dark as mahogany. Remove from oven and cool the strips on a wire rack.

5. Once crisp and cool, chop into little pieces, about the size of grains of rice.

6. (Bacon bits can be stored in an airtight container and chilled for a day or so, or stored in the freezer a few weeks ahead.)

7. To make the ice cream custard, melt the butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and half of the half-and-half. Pour the remaining half-and-half into a bowl set in an ice bath and set a mesh strainer over the top.

8.In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

9.Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.

10.Strain the custard into the half-and-half, stirring over the ice bath, until cool. Add liquor, vanilla and cinnamon, if using.

11. Refrigerate the mixture. Once thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the bacon bits during the last moment of churning, or stir them in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.

In the interest of my sanity, I'm going to have to hide that recipe from Mr Xiney.

Otherwise, he's gonna make us buy an ice cream maker.

I've never had that Bacon Ice cream, I can't imagine what it's like but my mother has made it and loved it. Not my cup of tea I don't think.

Xiney maybe you should make it and i will come and taste because if i make it and don't like it then it's a waste.

• Advertisement

I don't have a big enough kitchen for any more appliances (except a stick blender, I could use one of those handy buggers)

I'm sure you could just use your freezer instead of buying an ice-cream maker.

You do have freezer don't you?

I can't be the only chef here,I have loads more I could post but I want to sample someone elses specialty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have had the pleasure of tasting Ms Xineys cooking.

Gorgeous. Want more in fact.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm sure you could just use your freezer instead of buying an ice-cream maker.

You do have freezer don't you?

I can't be the only chef here,I have loads more I could post but I want to sample someone elses specialty.

No, you really need to use an ice cream maker. Otherwise you'll just get a brick.

Ice cream makers churn in air while little crystals of ice freeze, but doesn't let large, hard chunks of ice form.
    I have had the pleasure of tasting Ms Xineys cooking.

Gorgeous. Want more in fact.

That chickpea salad is the easiest thing ever! I will post the recipe later (too hungry right now)

Just discovered the downside of this thread.

We are all going to be hungry all the time:(

Off I go to rustle something up:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

2 Minute Garlicky Toast.

Bread.
    Olive Oil (Extra Virgin is best)
    Sea Salt (Maldon is best)
    Clove(s) Garlic cut in half.

Toast Bread.
    Rub Toast with Open part of garlic clove.
    Sprinkle a Couple of crystals of salt onto Toast then drizzle over oil.
    Eat.

2 Minute Garlicky Toast.

Bread.
    Olive Oil (Extra Virgin is best)
    Sea Salt (Maldon is best)
    Clove(s) Garlic cut in half.

Toast Bread.
    Rub Toast with Open part of garlic clove.
    Sprinkle a Couple of crystals of salt onto Toast then drizzle over oil.
    Eat.

:D:D Your obsessed with garlic bread and the like arn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Easiest Pasta EVAR!

Tagliatelle
    Cream
    Ham
    Cheddar Cheese
    White Plonk

Cook pasta and drain
    Add enough cream to coat
    Add a splosh of wine
    Stir grated cheese through
    Mix chopped up ham through

Serve with salad (french dressing is nice to cut through the creaminess) and crusty rolls.

Make lots. Its addictive.

Easiest Pasta EVAR!

Tagliatelle
    Cream
    Ham
    Cheddar Cheese
    White Plonk

Cook pasta and drain
    Add enough cream to coat
    Add a splosh of wine
    Stir grated cheese through
    Mix chopped up ham through

Serve with salad (french dressing is nice to cut through the creaminess) and crusty rolls.

Make lots. Its addictive.

Mmmmm beautiful, I love cooking that dish but I don't usually put the wine in nor do I serve it with salad.
    I'd say pasta is my favourite food,can't get enough of it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Chicken in white wine and cream sauce.

Chicken fillets (one per person).
    One onion
    A few mushrooms (optional)
    Butter or olive oil
    spoonful of flour
    splash of wine wine
    cream
    salt and pepper

Fry the onion and mushrooms in the butter or oil.
    Add the flour and make into a paste
    Then add the wine and cream keep stirring so it doesn't go lumpy.
    Season with the salt and pepper.
    Pour over the chicken fillets and cook in the over until.....cooked:rolleyes: It's all very technical in this house:D

Can be eaten as lunch, or as a side dish. GREAT with herby garlicy grilled chicken/salmon. Very summery & very healthy.
    • 200g dried chickpeas
    • 4 small tomatoes, diced reserve juice!
    • 6 or 7 ribs celery, diced
    • 5 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1/4 c olive oil
    • 1/4 c white wine vinegar
    • 1 tsp salt
    • parsley
    1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of water.
    2. Drain and rinse well
    3. Cook the chickpeas according to the directions. You kept the bag, didn't you? (Bring them to a boil, turn down the heat a bit and cover. Cook them for about an hour - test them to see if they're done.)
    4. Cool the chickpeas in the fridge for 30 minutes
    5. Add the tomatoes (and the juice that leaked out) and the celery to the chickpeas
    6. Put the garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and parsley into a jar. Shake it.
    7. Pour it over the chickpeas, and toss to combine. Refrigerate until serving. Keeps very well, for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

magnumlady wrote: »
    Chicken in white wine and cream sauce.

Chicken fillets (one per person).
    One onion
    A few mushrooms (optional)
    Butter or olive oil
    spoonful of flour
    splash of wine wine
    cream
    salt and pepper

Fry the onion and mushrooms in the butter or oil.
    Add the flour and make into a paste
    Then add the wine and cream keep stirring so it doesn't go lumpy.
    Season with the salt and pepper.
    Pour over the chicken fillets and cook in the over until.....cooked:rolleyes: It's all very technical in this house:D

Hi Magnumlady

Tried this and it was great but....

If you use yoghurt (like I did) instead of the cream, it tastes almost exactly the same with far less calories. (I'm obsessed with calories as I'm a big lad who can't afford to get bigger)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Mrs.T wrote: »
    5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

OMG I'm gonna have to try this!!

Jabby wrote: »
    Hi Magnumlady

If you use yoghurt (like I did) instead of the cream, it tastes almost exactly the same with far less calories. (I'm obsessed with calories as I'm a big lad who can't afford to get bigger)
    works really well in curries too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Xiney wrote: »
    works really well in curries too!

+1 we use natural yoghurt in most things instead of sour cream or cremefraiche as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

MoonDancer wrote: »
    OMG I'm gonna have to try this!!

It is amazing to watch and you really think it's going to go over the sides. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Baked Sea Bass with Chilli & Garlic

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 1 sea bass, weighing about 1.25kg, scaled and gutted
    * A few sprigs of rosemary
    * 1 small dried chilli
    * 6 whole cloves of garlic (skin left on)
    * Sea salt
    * 50ml olive oil
    * ½ glass of dry white wine
    * 1 lemon

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put a piece of tinfoil, about 70 - 80cm long
    on to a work surface and cover with a layer of greaseproof paper.

2. Fold over each edge so that the foil and paper are secured together at
    the edges.

3. Put a couple of sprigs of rosemary into the belly cavity of the fish and a couple in the centre of the paper. Lay the fish on the paper and crumble the chilli over the top.

4. Lightly crush the garlic cloves by putting the flat side of a knife on top and giving it a thump with your hand. Scatter the crushed garlic over the fish and sprinkle with sea salt.

5. Lift up the edges of the foil to keep everything in and add the olive oil and wine.

6. Wrap the fish in the foil making a loose but tightly sealed bag. Place it on a roasting tray and bake for 35 minutes.

7. Remove from the oven and carefully undo the bag, folding back the sides to make the fish easy to get at.

Squeeze a little lemon over the top and serve.

Delicious - I had this today after checking out the little fish van outside Lidl. Picked up some lovely sea bass for a fiver then blew the savings on a lovely looking wing of Ray, which I haven't had in donkeys years - It used to be a very popular fish to serve in fish n' chip shops in Dublin years ago, but as most fish n' chip shops have now been replaced by "chippers", you just don't see much ray these days. I'm definitely gonna stick it in a Guiness batter. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Mrs.T wrote: »
    5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Tried this tonight... absolutely fantastic. 10/10.

It DOES sound nice, but microwaves? 5 minutes? Chocolate? It's all a bit studenty to me. :D:D

It DOES sound nice, but microwaves? 5 minutes? Chocolate? It's all a bit studenty to me. :D:D

It is more a pregnant womans graving!

It is more a pregnant womans graving!

You've just managed to merge the word "gravy" with "craving". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Hi Magnumlady

Jabbs i was going to comment that you let yerself down their with the chocie cup cake but realized that im going to end up giving it a go myself and so am in no position to point such things out:o:rolleyes:

You've just managed to merge the word "gravy" with "craving". :D

LOL not far from the truth though!!!

So, we bought this stuff called "Very Hot Cajun Sauce" from Cottage Delight (which is available at Kate's Kitchen)

It's 20% Habanero & Scotch Bonnet peppers.

....dude. I had about a pea sized ammount spread between several bites of turkey breast, and it was enough. Serious hot sauce!

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    So, we bought this stuff called "Very Hot Cajun Sauce" from Cottage Delight (which is available at Kate's Kitchen)

It's 20% Habanero & Scotch Bonnet peppers.

....dude. I had about a pea sized ammount spread between several bites of turkey breast, and it was enough. Serious hot sauce!

Cool, I'm mean hot! Need to buy that!

Advertisement