Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Forum Recipes

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

It DOES sound nice, but microwaves? 5 minutes? Chocolate? It's all a bit studenty to me. :D:D

Don't knock it till you tried it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Don't knock it till you tried it ;)

This recipe is familiar to me from another forum. If I said the word "Cod", would this mean anything to you?!

On topic, um...

White Soda Bread

1lb flour
    1/2 pint buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon Bread soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the dry ingredients well before adding the buttermilk, stir through.

Turn out onto a floured board, barely knead it, and put onto a floured baking sheet/tray.

Bake for 40 mins ish at 180.

Tap the bottom, to check it sounds hollow, if not stick it back in for 5 mins. Really lightly dampen a tea towel and wrap it around the bread, leave it to cool on a wire tray (or over the back of three forks if no wire trays available!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This recipe is familiar to me from another forum. If I said the word "Cod", would this mean anything to you?!

On topic, um...

White Soda Bread

1lb flour
    1/2 pint buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon Bread soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Turn out onto a floured board, barely knead it, and put onto a floured baking sheet/tray.

Tap the bottom, to check it sounds hollow, if not stick it back in for 5 mins. Really lightly dampen a tea towel and wrap it around the bread, leave it to cool on a wire tray (or over the back of three forks if no wire trays available!)

I really don't like soda bread, but in the spirit of not just knocking something without offering a solution, I offer you...

"Star Belgrade's Recessionista Naan Bread"...

Ingredients

* 15g fresh yeast or 7g dried
    * 300-350ml warm water
    * 500g plain white flour
    * 15g fine salt
    * 1 generous tbsp plain yoghurt
    * 2 tsp vegetable oil

1. Put the yeast in a jug with about 100ml of the water. Stir and leave for 10-15 minutes or until nice and foamy.

2. Put the flour in a large bowl, stir in the salt, then make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast liquid, the yoghurt and oil and another 200ml of the water. Mix to a rough dough, adding more water if necessary – it should be soft and slightly sticky. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes, until smooth. Put it in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size

3. Knock the gas out of the dough and give another brief kneading. Then cut it into four pieces and roll each out until about 5mm thick. Leave to rest for 5 minutes while you heat a heavy-based pan over a medium-high heat. Put one of the pieces of dough into the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes or so until its underside has formed a crust and is golden and patched with brown. Turn it over and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown. Repeat with the other pieces of dough. Serve warm.

If you are a complete frugalista, that's it, but you can add further ingredients to the dough at stage 3 if you like - coriander, dessicated coconut, spicy meats etc etc.

Personally, I like a bit of fried garlic & chilli. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I really don't like soda bread, but in the spirit of not just knocking something without offering a solution, I offer you...

"Star Belgrade's Recessionista Naan Bread"...

Ingredients

* 15g fresh yeast or 7g dried
    * 300-350ml warm water
    * 500g plain white flour
    * 15g fine salt
    * 1 generous tbsp plain yoghurt
    * 2 tsp vegetable oil

1. Put the yeast in a jug with about 100ml of the water. Stir and leave for 10-15 minutes or until nice and foamy.

2. Put the flour in a large bowl, stir in the salt, then make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast liquid, the yoghurt and oil and another 200ml of the water. Mix to a rough dough, adding more water if necessary – it should be soft and slightly sticky. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes, until smooth. Put it in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size

3. Knock the gas out of the dough and give another brief kneading. Then cut it into four pieces and roll each out until about 5mm thick. Leave to rest for 5 minutes while you heat a heavy-based pan over a medium-high heat. Put one of the pieces of dough into the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes or so until its underside has formed a crust and is golden and patched with brown. Turn it over and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown. Repeat with the other pieces of dough. Serve warm.

If you are a complete frugalista, that's it, but you can add further ingredients to the dough at stage 3 if you like - coriander, dessicated coconut, spicy meats etc etc.

Personally, I like a bit of fried garlic & chilli. ;)

Thats great and everything but do you have a Recessionista Chicken Jalfrezi recipe to go with that please?!
    :pac:

tuppence wrote: »
    Thats great and everything but do you have a Recessionista Chicken Jalfrezi recipe to go with that please?!
    :pac:

I'm glad you asked! The great thing about this curry is the slightly sweet and sour flavour from the peppers. You can use any vegetables you have left-over in the fridge - bigger, chunkier veggies need longer cooking times, so add them at the start, and delicate veggies like peas and spinach need only minutes, so they can go in right at the end. This will serve 8 people - just halve the recipe if your pan isn't large enough, or else freeze any leftovers.

Star Belgrade's Chicken & Bits of Leftover Vegetable Frugalistamongous Jalfrezi

* 1 medium onion
    * 1 fresh red chilli
    * A thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger (optional - it doesn't grow on trees after all!)
    * 2 cloves of garlic
    * A small bunch of fresh coriander
    * 2 red peppers
    * 1 cauliflower
    * 3 ripe tomatoes
    * 4 chicken breasts, or any bits leftover from a Sunday roast
    * Groundnut or vegetable oil
    * A knob of butter
    * ½ a 283g jar of Patak's jalfrezi curry paste
    * 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
    * 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 lemons
    * 200g natural yoghurt

1. Peel, halve and roughly chop your onion. Finely slice the chilli. Peel and finely slice the ginger and garlic. Pick the coriander leaves and finely chop the stalks.

2. Halve, deseed and roughly chop the peppers. Break the green leaves off the cauliflower and discard. Break the cauliflower into florets and roughly chop the stem.

3. Quarter the tomatoes. Carefully halve the butternut squash, then scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Slice the squash into inch-size wedges, leaving the peel on but removing any thick skin, then roughly chop into smaller pieces.

4. Put a large casserole-type pan on a medium to high heat and add a couple of lugs of oil and the butter. Add the chicken, onions, chilli, ginger, garlic and coriander stalks and cook for 10 minutes, until softened and golden.

5. Add the peppers and jalfrezi curry paste. Stir well to coat everything with the paste.

6. Add the cauliflower, the fresh and tinned tomatoes and the vinegar.

7. Fill the two empty tins with water, pour into the pan and stir again. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on. Check the curry regularly to make sure it's not drying out, and add extra water if necessary. When the veg are tender, taste and add salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.

8. Serve your curry with poppadums or fluffy rice and with a few spoonfuls of natural yoghurt, a sprinkle of coriander leaves and a few lemon wedges for squeezing over

Jeezuz H, now I'm hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

No, sorry, you lost me but now I am curious. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

On topic, um...

White Soda Bread

1lb flour
    1/2 pint buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon Bread soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

just tried to make this, ill let you know in 40 mins if its a sucsess or a horrible horrible disaster

had to improvise as i only had sea salt, i hope it wont make much of a differance

gino85 wrote: »
    just tried to make this, ill let you know in 40 mins if its a sucsess or a horrible horrible disaster

had to improvise as i only had sea salt, i hope it wont make much of a differance

Cool!

/nervously checks time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Cool!

/nervously checks time...

:bigthumbsup:

came out perfectly, i sorta added to much buttermilk when making it so i had to counter with more flour in the end i had enough for 2 loafs, my dad added musley to one of them and im cooking it now, personally i wont be trying that but ill let you know once he had a taste off it

aparently my dad likes the one with the fruit and nut musley more than the plain one, just a tip for u

gino85 wrote: »
    :bigthumbsup:

came out perfectly, i sorta added to much buttermilk when making it so i had to counter with more flour in the end i had enough for 2 loafs, my dad added musley to one of them and im cooking it now, personally i wont be trying that but ill let you know once he had a taste off it

aparently my dad likes the one with the fruit and nut musley more than the plain one, just a tip for u

Brilliant! Glad it worked out good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This is the first thing I ever cooked for Mr Xiney, and he ended up packing a suitcase and moving to Canada and marrying me... so... heh ;)

With that said, it has grown and evolved over the last several years and is now even better than it was back then!

800 g chicken breast, sliced into strips
    2 medium yellow onions (or one x large one), sliced
    2 tbsp cajun seasoning
    salt
    3 or 4 bell peppers of different colours, sliced into strips
    1/2 cup smokey bbq sauce (I use the HP woodsmoke kind since it's cheap)
    3/4 cup HOT salsa
    1-2 tsp of the stupidly hot "Very Hot Cajun Sauce" from Cottage Delight available at Kate's Kitchen (optional, and not for the faint hearted)
    1.5 cups frozen sweet corn
    3 tsp dried coriander leaf (aka cilantro - since cajun dne mexican)
    1 tsp ground coriander (this is another thing to make it more mexican than cajun)
    tortillas

1. Brown the chicken and onions in a large pan or wok. Try not to move it around too much, it's actually ok to burn a few small bits on this dish (not too much, mind you)
    2. Add the cajun seasoning and salt and continue to cook until the chicken is done.
    3. Add the peppers and cook for a few minutes only
    4. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the tortillas.
    5. Put the tortillas in the microwave on a plate for about a minute on high.
    6. Put everything on the table and start building & eating fajitas!

The trick to building a fajita is to not put too much in it. Put it in the centre of the tortilla, then fold up the base, and fold the sides around. Hold it by the base and squeeze the top of the sides in towards themselves a bit more, to make it a bit more compact. Then eat!

This keeps quite well in the fridge for leftovers, and if you don't have quite enough left for another meal you can stretch it out really easily by adding a can of beans or another bell pepper or two or even some rice when you're reheating it.

I imagine it's a very easy way to trick children into eating vegetables.

Xiney wrote: »
    I imagine it's a very easy way to trick children into eating vegetables.

I imagine it's a very easy way to kill the average Irish child!

My God woman, where's the sour cream, where's the guacamole??? Are you trying to KILL us? Irish people don't do that heat.

Well you can use mild salsa and no hot sauce for the children of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

* 910 g onions, chopped
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 15 g minced ginger
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    * 7 g turmeric powder
    * 10 g cumin
    * 7 g garam masala
    * 15 g curry paste
    * 3 g red pepper flakes

1. Place onions and garlic into a large saucepan, add water to cover. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the ginger, and continue simmering for 5 more minutes.

2. Puree the onion in a food processor or blender in batches until smooth. Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in the diced tomatoes, and season with turmeric, cumin, garam masala, curry paste, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer, then pour in the onion puree. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Bacon ribs & root vegetables

get some bacon ribs.

Boil the life out of them for at least an hour. Toast some bread. Butter it.

add some peppers to the ribs, throw in some veg for 10 mins max & serve as a tasty rib broth with toast

• 1 cup dried black turtle beans
    • 1 large yellow onion, diced
    • 1 butternut squash
    • 1 jar salsa (or a can of diced tomatoes and some extra spices if you're watching the budget)
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • salt, to taste
    • tortillas
    • grated cheddar cheese
    • other topings if you want, like guacamole, sour cream, more salsa...

1. Soak the beans overnight. Change the water in the morning and keep them soaking until you cook 'em.
    2. Bring the beans with fresh water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
    3. Repeat step 2 four times, changing the water each time. When finished, drain the beans.
    4. While the beans are cooking, peel & seed the squash, cutting it into chunks.
    5. Boil it for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. (You could also roast it in the oven - this makes it sweeter though and I try to avoid that for this recipe)
    6. Fry the onion in a bit of oil
    7. When the onion is transluscent, add the squash and beans and blend a bit with a stick blender.
    8. If you don't have a stick blender, you'll have to mash up the beans before you combine everything. Then you can mash the rest of it together (the onions won't mash but that's ok)
    9. Add the salsa, cumin and salt and mix well.
    10. Serve in warmed tortillas with cheese and whatever else you feel like sticking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Butternut Squash soup is actually really good.

Will post the recipe when I have it to hand but it's really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

my gosh, I'm a bit sick today and have had no appetite but just came across this thread and am now starving!

My sister has been writing a food blog 'scuse the photos, shes learning,but it has some great recipes!

Hmm contemplating whether to have chocolate cup cake for dinner seeing as I'm sick and eh allowed to...... hmmmm

Had a punnet of tomatoes from Lidl left over from the weekend and decided to make a salad out of them. While deciding what should go into the salad, I decided it would make a great vehicle for Feta, lol.

- one punnet small tomatoes, cut into 8ths (cubes)
    - basil, torn into shreds (smell your hands after... mmm)
    - 4 or 5 big cloves of garlic, crushed
    - sprinkle of lemon juice (don't need much as the tomatoes are naturally acidic)
    - pinch of salt
    - dash of olive oil

mix that all together and top with crumbled feta cheese

fantastic, and so summery, to go with the fabulous weather we've been having :)

Advertisement