Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT Existing Customer Half Price for 2 months

• 15-04-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

If you don't plan changing BT as your Telephone/Broadband supplier for the next year you might want to check this out.

I just saved €56 (Assuming of course their billing department get it right :rolleyes:)

"Your current BT bundle is bringing you superb Internet access and excellent phone service – and now we’re going to give you the whole package for half–price for two months when you renew with BT for 12 months*!

This is great value, particularly when you consider that you are already saving
    16%** by bundling broadband, line rental and calls with BT.

To save even more, why not sign up for BT CallMobile or BT Call International, if you have not already?

Email btirelandrewards@bt.com
    or Call 1800 812 201 and quote ref 300

* Based on re-signing minimum term contract for 12 months. 50% off your current bundle price for 2 months (excludes calls or any other BT charges). BT standard terms and conditions apply. Offer open until 30th May 09.

** Saving based on comparing standard BT pricing - BT Broadband Option 1 for €22.59pm & Talk A Lot for €30.44pm compared to package price of €44.13pm for Broadband & Talk A Lot Option1

BT Prices are correct as at Apr 09 and are inclusive of VAT at 21.5%.

To opt out of receiving future marketing emails please click here "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just sent them an e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I love their saving comparison, comparing with them selves! You should have rang around OP before signing up for another 12 months to see if anyone will be cheaper overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

WOO HOO!...just signed up and re-signed for a year! :-)
    BUT....guys, watch your biils for the next two bills like a hawk!

BT are not known for billing accuracy so make sure they apply the discount, nice deal...but would be sweater if it was 3-4 months!

Guy on the phone told me they sent out 1,300 random letters in the mail :-) ...hehe, they'll be pissed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Just sent email also. the only better option based on the package I'm on is vodafone @ home. The savings will be approx €5-6 per month but this is as good so i'll sign up for another year.

I rang btw....the guy was cool, i told him about the postings on Boards :-)
    He wanted to know all about it! :-)

• Advertisement

Guy on the phone told me they sent out 1,300 random letters in the mail :-) ...hehe, they'll be pissed!
    Only offered to 1,300 customers, that was nice of them :rolleyes:, guess they have 1,301 now :D:p

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Just sent email also. the only better option based on the package I'm on is vodafone @ home. The savings will be approx €5-6 per month but this is as good so i'll sign up for another year.

I have snooped for better packages, to be fair...for what i need it's the best deal. My primary usage is broadband and the overall deal is best with BT :)

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Only offered to 1,300 customers, that was nice of them :rolleyes:, guess they have 1,301 now :D:p

They'll have 15,000 by the end of the day! :D
    I actually told the guy to watch for an influx of calls/emails....lets hope they don't call it off like the Dominos pizza debacle in th US

"bailout" :D

They'll have 15,000 by the end of the day! :D
    I actually told the guy to watch for an influx of calls/emails....lets hope they don't call it off like the Dominos pizza debacle in th US

"bailout" :D
    They probably will, seeing as they have seen this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Just called their customer support and they did a check to make sure I qualified. They were happy to give me the deal. Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Thanks OP Didn't get letter but rang and renewed for a year. Cust Service were hazy as to why I hadn't received a letter (you will probably receive one in the next while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Surely UPC/ntl's package is a better option...??
    Basic digital TV, broadband and phone (digital line) for ~€45 a month.

We are with BT for phone and BB, but was considering switching everything to ntl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

conical wrote: »
    Surely UPC/ntl's package is a better option...??
    Basic digital TV, broadband and phone (digital line) for ~€45 a month.

We are with BT for phone and BB, but was considering switching everything to ntl

A lot of people cant avail of the Upc option. Some are in the process of being ready though

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭warmblood

just rang them and got the deal tks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Am i right in thinking that seeing as i have BT phone and bb for the lst 3 years i am no longer in contract and can cancell at any time? (with a minimum notice period perhaps)
    If so then i'm not signing up for this as the pain and cost of getting out of a 12 month contract should i wish to, particularily with a company with such a shoddy billing system, is not worth the paltry savings.
    imo

This is my understanding...the 12 month contract is rolling, after the initial 12 months you roll over to another 12, but if you decide to leave you can without penalty or charges, i assume you'll have to give 30 days notice...which seems to be standard across the industry.

But *this* offer above means you verbally agree over the phone and the agreement is recorded and is legally binding, you even agree to waive the 10 day cooling off period...as such you're 100% locked in for a year, they have you on tape saying you agree etc.

So if you decide to leave you'll pay charges etc., the billing system for me personally is *now* OK, i went through a 10 month period of overbilling and credits not being applied, but they did eventually sort it and everything has been fine since.

To sum up...you can leave if you want :-)

This is my understanding...the 12 month contract is rolling, after the initial 12 months you roll over to another 12, but if you decide to leave you can without penalty or charges, i assume you'll have to give 30 days notice...which seems to be standard across the industry.

Yes once your out a contract you leave. I dont think you need to give 30 days notice. The thing to remember is that you are paying for the service in advance!

You pay 30 days in advance, but it's my understanding you still have to give 30 days?...this is what Chorus did to me when i left, even though on initial signing i paid one month in advance....dunno ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

well decided just in case they were going to close it off that I'd ring. Got it and thanks to the OP. Wasn't going to switch in anycase. Would like NTL but not possible in our estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I see they are offering up to 24Mb for the 1st six months for new customers.

Having been bitten by O2 with the wife's mobile, I'm sceptical of offers like this. They could well be preparing to offer a new package with either cheaper rates or faster speed and are looking tie people in on a lesser package.

If it happens I promise I wont say I told you so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

I called last week to see what they could do to reduce my bill and they offered me this, or 4 months at half price if i agreed to an 18 month contract, will use this as a bit of leverage. he he, Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Didn't BT just announce that they are planning on shedding 10,000 jobs worldwide?

I think I'll wait and see how this affects service in Ireland before locking in for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

conical wrote: »

Was thinking the same but have you seen the UPC version of Sky+, it is a joke! Nevermind I would be giving up Sky HD aswell!

I might look into UPC for phone and bb. Or else take up this deal to let UPC sort out their HD over the next 12 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

To the OP - Good find!

Have just mailed them asking for half price on 4 months with 18 month lockin.

Is this half price on broadband only or broadband + line rental??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

:)Thanks for
    the tip.Just signed up on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Thanks - just took up the offer today! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

What is the likelihood BT will up their prices in the next fews months once they've hooked enough people into renewing their contracts for 12/18 months?

I'm tempted to renew to save a few euro but can't help wondering why they are so keen for existing customers to lock themselves back into a fixed term contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I have had a BT phone and BB business package for last 2 years and over last 6 months I have become very unimpressed with their BB. Ever since they started rolling out the 24Mb the speeds have dropped dramatically; its more so the latency as the download speeds can be fine but when you are browsing a web page it can just take ages for it to load.

UPC are currently upgrading the network in our area and I was out talking to the cable lads last week and they said I will be ready for the UPC 20Mb in 6 weeks - I am dropping Sky (rip off merchants) and BT, and moving all to UPC. I know many may say UPC is pretty shoddy but we have started to realise that most important thing to us is the Disney channels for the kids, and fast broadband (myself and wife are both techies:o) - we record loads on Sky+ but it never gets watched! months and months of CSI just sitting there - can download them all off the web instead:D

Anyway, just my thoughts - I am not impressed with BT broadband anymore.

Paddy

I doubt they would up their prices. But you never know! I suppose if Eircom up the line rental rates they would have to pass on the charges.

To me I think they are trying to commit people to long term contracts in order to stop people dropping their broadband should they hit hard times financially!

I think its the same reason why Sky are pushing their Sky HD!

You can be guaranteed Eircom WILL up line rental, as it's universal and it's a guaranteed cash cow!

Line rental is now making up a hige portion of the monthly cost for consumers...we've got the highest in the world!

I'll personally save €22 on my next bill...dunno about signing upto 18 months though, i'll stick with 12.

...we've got the highest in the world!

Was there not something in the European courts about Eircom having to decrease their line rental charges?

branners69 wrote: »
    I doubt they would up their prices. But you never know! I suppose if Eircom up the line rental rates they would have to pass on the charges.

To me I think they are trying to commit people to long term contracts in order to stop people dropping their broadband should they hit hard times financially!

I think its the same reason why Sky are pushing their Sky HD!

Course, most companies now want to lock people into contracts for 12-18 months or more. So as they know how much revenue and customers they have.

The saving you make are nothing compared to them locking in, say, 10,000 people into a long term contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

this offer is still on , I just signed up over the phone. Just went for the 12 month offer as I would be interested to see if what Vodafone's package will be like then. It's currently slightly better (includes 200 minute mobile minutes).

Thanks to the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Forgot about this offer, just renewed for 12 months and upped to the 3 meg package but going by my experience with BT billing dept it will be a miracle if they manage to get it right :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

I use BT for phone and broadband. Only use the phone line for Phonewatch so decided to drop the calls option as I never use. This would reduce my monthly from €56 to €46. They said they changed their T&Cs in December and all changes of rate must be on a 12 month contract. Told them to take a hike and take me off the service altogether. Talked to a supervisor who put me onto the disconnect crew and miraculously they offered me a free two months if I went into 12 month contract at the €46 rate. I don't like contracts so said no, I'd prefer not to have the contract and pay the 2 months and so their T&Cs suddenly changed and was able to get €46 without any contract. As a matter of interest, does anyone know which operators are compatible with Phonewatch. Some cheaper operators like NTL can't work the Phonewatch as it goes through cable. Any ideas out there?

Cantoris wrote: »
    Some cheaper operators like NTL can't work the Phonewatch as it goes through cable. Any ideas out there?

You can get a gsm dialer fitted for the alarm so it doesn't use the phone line any more, its basically a mobile phone inside it. I can be corrected on this, but i think it was around €149 once off charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am a BT customer for the last six years, but I am not sure about this offer. It equates to 8% discount over the year at the cost of loosing my ability to change providers. To be honest I find their BB is starting to lag behind in terms of speed (24 Mbps not available in my area) and if a faster service becomes available at a similar price I will certainly consider moving. So I think I'll pass on this one for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Shock.... just got my bill and they managed to give me the discount :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Zynks wrote: »
    To be honest I find their BB is starting to lag behind in terms of speed
    Have found the same to a certain degree over a 3 year timespan. Don't know whether its just that there are more people tied into the local exchange OR the hit on bandwidth due to the escalation in the use of the likes of youtube during that time OR their manipulation of the service to encourage people to 'upgrade' to a higher speed service (idle speculation but wouldn't surprise me).

Fyi - i got my discount also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

pissed wrote: »
    Shock.... just got my bill and they managed to give me the discount :)
    Fyi - i got my discount also.

Nahhh, common, you are pulling my leg!?! :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I left them in April and somehow they don't realise it so they sent me a bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Just on to them now.
    Was told that if a price increase were to take place in the future I would remain on the new contract.
    Also was told offer ends today or tomorrow?
    The only people who got letters were on the BT list for commercail updates...ie letters in the post.
    signed a 12 month contract.

Chef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I got some sort of discount on my last bill without asking for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

OP thats brilliant, thanks for that. just signed up for next 12 months and saved CASH. love it.

Advertisement