Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing NTL Wireless Router (NetGear WGR614) - Any recommendations?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, I tried a boards search and a Google search and couldn't find any answers to help me fully with this query.

I have recently signed up for NTL UPC 20Mb broadband package, and will receive a 'free' (see: probably useless) NetGear Wireless router. The Sales guy in UPC couldn't tell me which model it would be (I'll get used to that, as I've heard that customer service is not great from UPC). From searching, I think the model is the NetGear WGR614.

I fear that if this is a basic router that the signal might be too weak to reach all my PC's. (From the point where the Router will have to be placed in the living room, there are two floors to a PC in the Office in the Attic and there's no way that I'd be allowed by the missus to lay a load of Ethernet cable :)).

My questions are as follows:
    1. Could the NetGear actually be OK for that type of distance / interference?
    2. Would a different router provide better performance? If so, any suggestions are welcome (Hopefully not too expensive :))
    3. Would a HomePlug solution work better than wireless? Maybe something like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips, as I would like to be able to hit the ground running at the best speeds when the service is installed.

Cheers,
    F.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If you're interested in changing it, I have a zyxel P600 or a BT Voyager 2100 I'd be happy to swap you for.

Incidently, I use Devolo 85MB homeplugs in four locations - Beside PC (& Router), Attic (storage), Bedroom (Media Streamer) & Living Room (Media Streamer). Find them excellent, except if there's a backup & a download running at the same time (almost never happens)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In spite of your search this question is asked pretty regularly.

It is impossible to say in advance because every situation is unique how wireless equipment will perform in any particular situation. So no one no matter how knowledgeable they are can say such and such a router will definitely be great in x situation.

Why not wait and see how the netgear performs in your particular situation? At least that way you will not be wasting money.

People on here have been reporting very good results from using the 'plugs'

Advertisement