Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin gay friendly bars??

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All.....Just wondering if there are any gay friendly bars in dublin? Kinda tired of the scene! Also wondering if Hogans on George st is gay/gay friendly?

Thanks Guys...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This review seems to suggest it is. Tbh, you never really know until you try a place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 high beam

Thank You Boston. That site gives the impression its pretty gay alright....

Reading what it says about the old "out on the liffy" pub, I'm slow to invest a huge amount of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty much any "trendy" bar around Georges Street is going to be gay friendly by virtue of being used as a pre-G/Dragon watering hole. Same could be said for much of the surrounding area (other than the strip clubs on Dame Street of course ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

All bars in Dublin are gay friendly, they are happy for the custom so unless you're planning on walking in with your nob lobbed out and screaming "TAKE ME BOYS!" or banging your other half on the bar (which would be bad ethics even in a gay bar) I doubt "Gay friendly" applies. Show some common sense and you'll have no problems at all so...

1. Going into bar with your partner and having a pint over a chat - Yes
    2. Going into bar with your partner and having toncil tennis over a pint - NOOO!

All it takes is some decorum and every bar and all their customer will accept you wether you're Gay, Green or have 7 nipples, 3 arms and 5 legs.

• Advertisement

That's not true at all. A manager in bar I used to frequent took objection to myself and my boyfriend holding hands. Also didn't like the fact we were kissing, but had no problem with heterosexual's doing likewise. True, they don't care if you're gay but only as long as you show no outwardly sign of being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

All bars in Dublin are gay friendly, they are happy for the custom so unless you're planning on walking in with your nob lobbed out and screaming "TAKE ME BOYS!" or banging your other half on the bar (which would be bad ethics even in a gay bar) I doubt "Gay friendly" applies. Show some common sense and you'll have no problems at all so...

1. Going into bar with your partner and having a pint over a chat - Yes
    2. Going into bar with your partner and having toncil tennis over a pint - NOOO!

All it takes is some decorum and every bar and all their customer will accept you wether you're Gay, Green or have 7 nipples, 3 arms and 5 legs.

Well this is not entirely true I know of some cases where people were expelled from bars for affection and not more that a kiss or arms around their other halves. You should be allowed to have some sort of contact with the person without actually riding on the bar.

I suppose another question is what bars in dublin might you hope to score another guy/girl in on a night out besides the usual gay haunts.

I think a lot of gays just dont go on the scene so you'll find a few in every bar but usually there are not screaming it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Strangely, heterosexual couples get away with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭redbeast

I'd be inclined to think that most bars that attract a mixed variety of clientele are 'gay friendly'... avoid auld fella bars or the suity types I suppose if you want to be a bit cosy with a partner.

The bar above Hogans (at the side facing the market bar, has no name for some reason) and the Bernard Shaw (just past the bleeding horse, covered in grafitti) are deffo gay friendly and good spots outside the 'scene'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

redbeast wrote: »
    The bar above Hogans (at the side facing the market bar, has no name for some reason) and the Bernard Shaw (just past the bleeding horse, covered in grafitti) are deffo gay friendly and good spots outside the 'scene'.

Those were the first two that came into my head as well. I've never gone into them with the bf, mind, but I have seen gay couples out on dates in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

high beam wrote: »
    Hi All.....Just wondering if there are any gay friendly bars in dublin? Kinda tired of the scene! Also wondering if Hogans on George st is gay/gay friendly?

It was circa 1999. But no idea now. Would expect that it would be open to the idea after decades of proximity to many gay bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MYOB wrote: »
    Strangely, heterosexual couples get away with that...

Can I just chime in here with something.

First off I'm a straight guy, but not in the least bit offended by gay men showing signs of affection to their partners - thats that out of the way.

I've also done door work for over 15 years in Dublin and have asked gay couples (both male & female) to stop snogging the faces off each other.

I've also asked the same of straight couples.

Not ONCE have a straigth couple taken issue with it, but almost without exception gay couples have made not just a small objection to me asking them to give it over, but they've turned it into a HUGE homophobic issue, threatening to sue the premises etc.

As a result I deal with gay couples with the utmost respect & sensitivity as I can understand they're probably naturally on the defence re. their sexualty, however they also have to realise that in fact they're not that special & the majority of people are offended by public shows of affection by both straight and gay couples.

Can I just chime in here with something.

First off I'm a straight guy, but not in the least bit offended by gay men showing signs of affection to their partners - thats that out of the way.

I've also done door work for over 15 years in Dublin and have asked gay couples (both male & female) to stop snogging the faces off each other.

I've also asked the same of straight couples.

Not ONCE have a straigth couple taken issue with it, but almost without exception gay couples have made not just a small objection to me asking them to give it over, but they've turned it into a HUGE homophobic issue, threatening to sue the premises etc.

As a result I deal with gay couples with the utmost respect & sensitivity as I can understand they're probably naturally on the defence re. their sexualty, however they also have to realise that in fact they're not that special & the majority of people are offended by public shows of affection by both straight and gay couples.

1) For what reasons would you ask anybody to stop kissing, was it your decision or the managers? A bouncers job isn't to cause trouble by taking it upon him or herself to hassle clientele who aren't causing trouble. You know that if you ask a gay couple to stop kissing it will start trouble.

2) If there are notices on a premises stating "no signs of public affection" and a bouncer told me to stop, referencing the signs, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The trouble is the arbitrary nature of such a rule, if I've been in a bar and seen heterosexuals kissing without intervention then its perfectly valid for me to object when told to stop. If you've two people scoring in a group of people there's no way a manager would ask you to stop them given the fear that the group will simply leave.

3) How its done tends to be completely ham fisted. Saying things like "None of that in here". What the **** is that? Coming across like the bouncer has just caught you with a bottle vodka in your bag. Tone and what you say have huge effect.

My own personal experience is this: Myself and the ex had a drink thrown on us by one bouncers about 4 years back in a club, arsehole didn't even have the balls to say anything.

And myself and my boyfriend where asked to stop kissing or leave by the manager of a pub I regularly went to. He spouted a lot of bull about "There's no holding hands in my bar". I pushed and pushed him until I got to the real reason "It offends some people". Thats what it comes down to. You maybe just doing your job, but if the reason behind why you're asked to do it is because I ,by my very nature, "may offend" someone, then I'm going to be pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭redbeast

I can totally see how anyone in a minority can jump to the conclusion that they are being 'picked on'- and the same can be said for anyone I suppose, i saw a bouncer I worked with nearly get his headkicked in because some guy misheard him and assumed it was a dig about him- thankfully enough people heard what he really said and his head stayed in one piece.

It is **** though that people stare or react to something as simple as holding hands... but slowly slowly guys, we'll get there. We've already come along way!:o

Advertisement