Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMAC

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Thinking of upgrading my imac g5, is it worth waiting 6monhts for a quad processor etc, or will i need it for home use? The current model comes with 2.66ghz core duo, will that do me? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Thinking of upgrading my imac g5, is it worth waiting 6monhts for a quad processor etc, or will i need it for home use? The current model comes with 2.66ghz core duo, will that do me? Thanks

How long is a piece of string? : Depends on what you will be using the laptop for.

A quad is nice if you are going to be running serious video/multi media applications a lot all at the same time.

Otherwise a dualcore is more than enough poke for everyday home useage: web browsing, listening to mp3s, watching movies etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 silverpaddy

thats what i was thinking, i dont plan on doing any serious work, just for hom euse itunes, aperture work etc, could wait forever for next big think i suppose. just afraid of buying and finding out i have outdated product within a few months.....

thats what i was thinking, i dont plan on doing any serious work, just for hom euse itunes, aperture work etc, could wait forever for next big think i suppose. just afraid of buying and finding out i have outdated product within a few months.....

Well if you are in no rush to buy, you can always wait a wee while if there is an apple refresh coming up. No harm.

But a 2.66Ghz dualcore is overkill for most home users considering what they use a pc for..

I take it your are buying the macbook pro 17"?

no an imac 24inch? i have a sony v laptop? main use will be aperture 2, some muisc, regular hom euse stuff....

no an imac 24inch? i have a sony v laptop? main use will be aperture 2, some muisc, regular home use stuff....

Sorry, I thougth you were buying a mac laptop for some stupid reason, apologies, woke up on the wrong side or the bed this morning.:o

I have seen a 24" imac in the flesh before. Very nice screen, very nice build quality.

Should be well up for anyhting you can throw at it really.

• Advertisement

the whole thing look fine to be, but not being an expert, i was afraid given its the sme basic design for the last few years an overhaul is on the horizon, rem buying a click wheel ipod in the day and a week later they brought out a brand new version! thats tech for you i suppose, outdated within a month.....!

bought the 2.93ghz with upgraded graphics card....hopefully that will do me a few years....

Advertisement