Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods to reduce Car Insurance

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm looking to reduce my car insurance if possible. I have a fairly good quote from Hibernian, have done the ignition test and have a couple of years experience and no penalty points. Is there another test you can take similar to the Ignition test that would stand to you as well against car insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

With Hibernian you get discount for no penalty points, discount for multiple car policy, multiple other policies (life etc.), limited mileage discount, and when I renewed mine yesterday over the phone they gave me an extra loyalty discount. After that its whatever you can live with such as an increased excess, choosing not to have a limited rollback in the event of claim etc.

Sometimes there is more to insurance than getting the cheapest quote though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There are some methods to reduce your car insurance and I don't know what your exact circumstances are but I'll list a few of the standards.

Try at least 2 insurance brokers for a quote

Try a couple of online sites

Check that your insurers have your correct date of birth, licence details and no claim bonus years, alarm on the car, occupation (some are loaded)

Examine your cover, you may have more than you need. e.g are you paying for open driving when it is only you who ever drives the car? Do you have comprehensive on a car that is only worth a couple of grand, as Third Party Fire & Theft might suit better given that you would lose No Claim Bonus if you claimed anyway.

If I think of more, I'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Cheers, all good ideas. I have a number of the discounts you mentioned already with Hibernian and they are def the cheapest for me after checking around but I was interested in taking an advanced driving course to reduce the insurance.. is this possible and do insurance companies recognise advanced driving courses?

Advertisement