Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone for a fiver

• 15-04-2009 11:35am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this offer deserves a mention in here as it really is a great bargain.

Get 10 friends to port over to o2, top up by €20 and you will get an iPhone for a fiver on prepay.

https://www.getaniphone.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Buy 10 meteor sim cards, register them to 10 people, port all 10 over to 02.

Total cost, €100. Total time taken up, probably more than it's worth :(

Good find though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

They have to top up by 20 euro too - so you can add 200 to that equation :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

From O2 site:

O2 will validate the number of friends that have ported over to O2.

What, exactly, does that entail?

The devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Sounds better than it actually is until you add in the costs,not a bad deal though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

johnfás wrote: »
    They have to top up by 20 euro too - so you can add 200 to that equation :P

but thats €200 you could use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

You can actually order meteor cards for free from their site. Still I'd advise against it tho. I can imagine O2 being very strict in checking out all the applicants, and they have their terms written so that the offer is totally at their discression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Here's how we all win:
    Get the Free Meteor Sims, top up by 20€ on each (and O2 say they will give €20 more when you top up).
    Sell the Sims with €40 credit on them for a fiver.
    You get an iPhone for €155 and O2 gets 10 more customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Or we could just get ten of our actual friends to port to o2.....

Oh wait, Im on the internet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

are we sure this is an official 02 offer?

could it be a wind up, i dont see any mention of it on there homepage.. (tho its probably there starring me in the face) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

are we sure this is an official 02 offer?

could it be a wind up, i dont see any mention of it on there homepage.. (tho its probably there starring me in the face) :rolleyes:

Its official.
    Daryll from o2 confirmed it today.

see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055537818

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

This is an awful offer in my opinion, no offence to the OP just to O2.

What kindo of nutball would attempt to convince 10 of their friends to change mobile providers just so they can get a free phone.

"Here Jimmy if you change to O2, and 9 other people do, I get an iPhone for a fiver"
    "What's in it for me?"
    "Nothing, but I get an iPhone for a fiver"
    "Go away"

Stealdo wrote: »

What kindo of nutball would attempt to convince 10 of their friends to change mobile providers just so they can get a free phone.

"Here Jimmy if you change to O2, and 9 other people do, I get an iPhone for a fiver"
    "What's in it for me?"
    "Go away"

They get an o2 treat card if thats any use to you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dman001 wrote: »
    Here's how we all win:
    Get the Free Meteor Sims, top up by 20€ on each (and O2 say they will give €20 more when you top up).
    Sell the Sims with €40 credit on them for a fiver.
    You get an iPhone for €155 and O2 gets 10 more customers.

Im sure they will call each person, so unless you can keep 10 simcards running the plan fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Davy wrote: »
    They get an o2 treat card if thats any use to you

Not much I don't think but the more I think about this the more it's actually a stroke of genius from O2. The amount of people who might just try to do this, and manage to convince 2/3 soft touches to switch before giving up will gain them a lot of customers and they won't have to pay out on the iPhones.

Sully wrote: »
    Im sure they will call each person, so unless you can keep 10 simcards running the plan fails.

I dont think they call each person. I think they will be satisfied when the ten numbers are ported and have topped up by 20euro.

Although by the wording of the terms they can do it if they wanted too. You could claim the person is on holidays, phone broke whatever but as long as they have ported and topped up they have satisfied the requirements imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont think they call each person. I think they will be satisfied when the ten numbers are ported and have topped up by 20euro.

Although by the wording of the terms they can do it if they wanted too. You could claim the person is on holidays, phone broke whatever but as long as they have ported and topped up they have satisfied the requirements imo.

Id assume they would have to.. Otherwise I could just fill in the form with say, your details and you get ported over. So they would have to call and verify that you actually want to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Id assume they would have to.. Otherwise I could just fill in the form with say, your details and you get ported over. So they would have to call and verify that you actually want to move.

Well YOU arnt actually porting them over, your just saving them as your friend, and when they port over themselves then it shows up on your getaniphone.com account as your friend ported to 02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supadude

not woth is theres always a catch

supadude wrote: »
    not woth is theres always a catch

All the terms are printed on the site. You can get 10 people to port and get an iphone for a fiver then it is worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

most of my friends are already on O2 so its no use to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

If you're not interested in applying for the O2 offer yourself, I'll give you €5 if you'll help me apply.

I'll send you a sim card (free of course). All you have to do is port and register it to O2 and top it up by €20 in time (and you'll get another €20 free from O2). AND... I'll give you a fiver for your trouble.

I'll even port and register the sim for you if you like.

PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whats the deal with porting to O2 and then back to meteor?
    if one got 20 ppl they could alternate within a week :)

TOO MUCH EFFORT FOR FULL TIME WORKERS THOUGH[caps]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Stealdo wrote: »

"What's in it for me?"
    "Go away"

Hence the workarounds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im sure there will be more deals like this in the next couple of months as they clear stocks ahead of the new iPhone hardware. Should be some real bargins closer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I just signed up on the site and according to that, each of the people you get to switch, get an iPhone for a fiver.

From the FAQ:
    Q 10: If I get 20 friends over can I get 2 3G iPhones?
    No, you can only get one iPhone for a fiver per person

Ok so i've looked at it now and decided its not worth your time really unless you have the 10 firends willing to swap.

If you get the 10 free simcards from meteor you have to top up with 10 euro on each of them to activate them. Thats 100euro

Then you post over to O2, losing the 100 euro credit, unless you want to take ages using it all up. You have to top up by 20 euro on each sim so thats 200 euro. And then you'll have 400 euro on 10 sim cards. (i barely spend that in a year)

So it'll cost a maximum of 305 euro if you do it that way, which isnt that cheap for an iphone. I know you can sell the sim cards an all that but i cant see them being bought up quickly. I dont think ill be bothering with this promo, too much effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

All the terms are printed on the site. You can get 10 people to port and get an iphone for a fiver then it is worth it imo.

you work for o2 i take it ? I used to work for them theres always a catch :)

I just signed up on the site and according to that, each of the people you get to switch, get an iPhone for a fiver.

From the FAQ:

Apparently not.. Its phrased that way but in reality they can get it when THEY get 10 friends. Not because they joined via me.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Apparently not.. Its phrased that way but in reality they can get it when THEY get 10 friends. Not because they joined via me.

Is that not a pyramid scheme?

• Advertisement

ViDuchie wrote: »
    Is that not a pyramid scheme?

Lmao, not quite but funny comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

If anyone here wants to switch to o2 I'll get a SIM and 20yoyos credit for ya! PM me.

If anyone here wants to switch to o2 I'll get a SIM and 20yoyos credit for ya! PM me.

Pfft. Thats nothing. Ill get them a €50 treat card also :P

Anyway, ya its a very good marketing ploy by o2. Nicely phrased parts to make people think one thing when in reality its another.

Right I emailed o2 about this to address the confusion.
    Hi,
    Can you clarify the position with regards to refferals getting an
    iPhone? Your website seems to suggest in a few areas that each person
    I sign up also gets an iPhone for a fiver but the email sent to the
    person porting suggests otherwise.

Its probably a marketing stunt to make people think otherwise, but I
    assume that the only way the "friend" gets an iPhone is he/she ALSO
    gets 10 new o2 customers? Instead, for his efforts, he just gets the
    treatcard and priotiry tickets like every o2 Customer does?

Many Thanks.

This is the reply I got;
    Thank you for your query.

To clarify the offer, a person is only eligible for an iPhone for a fiver when they register 10 friends' numbers on the getaniphone.ie site and all of these 10 friends move their number to the O2 network, and top up by EUR20.

The site states what the referred customers (i.e. friends whom have moved to O2) should expect to receive on moving to O2; The home or "how to" page details what referred customers get:

"Just tell them [your 10 friends] they get:
    A free EUR50 Treat Card to spend on fun stuff like quad biking or wakeboarding.
    Free calls and texts to everyone on O2 with O2 Experience Plus.
    Priority tickets to The O2"

Once on the O2 network, the referrals are then eligible to register for the promotion themselves.

With reference to the following "Instead, for his efforts, he just gets the treatcard and priority tickets like every o2 Customer does?". Every O2 customer does not get a free EUR50 treat card when they move to O2. The EUR50 treatcards are only available to customers who move to O2 as part of this specific iPhone for a fiver promotion. Priority Tickets to the O2 are available to all O2 customers.

I hope this clears it up for you.

If there is any specific piece of text that you feel is confusing, then I would be happy to pass it along to the communications team for review.

Thanks

I have replied and pointed out a couple of mistakes with the text on various parts of the emails/websites sent.

Oh we're playing that game yeah? :P I'll see your treat card and offer them free calls and texts to O2, along with a mystical can of air... :O

Pfft. Thats nothing. Ill get them a €50 treat card also :P

Anyway, ya its a very good marketing ploy by o2. Nicely phrased parts to make people think one thing when in reality its another.

Oh we're playing that game yeah? :P I'll see your treat card and offer them free calls and texts to O2, along with a mystical can of air... :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

So does your friends need to buy a new phone? Or do you just need them to get sim card and switch to o2?

Anytime you want to switch networks you do not need to get a new phone. Its a simple matter of calling into the store of the network you wish to move to, telling them, and waiting a little while for it to "click". You keep your number and you may get a new simcard with your number on it. Its the exact same as it always was, your just now on a different network.

Anyway.. o2 have fixed the confusion.
    Hello Mr. O'Sullivan,

Thank you for your follow-up email. It was very helpful.

It is quite a complicated offer to explain to customers. We worked very hard to explain the offer as clearly as possible. However, on reading your points, I agree with your assesment that there are some ambiguities in the parts of the text. This was not our intention at all.

I made some alterations to the text myself and sent them to the communications team. They quickly approved them and will review them again on Monday morning when everyone is around.

I have updated the site with the changes. There are two changes: (1) in the activation email and (2) in the FAQs. Here are the old and new versions:

(1) OLD VERSION

"And if your friends need some convincing to move, remember to tell them that a free €50 treatcard to use on loads of funstuff like waterskiing could be theirs, as well as free calls and texts to everyone on O2 and of course, an iPhone!"

(1) NEW VERSION
    "And if your friends need some convincing to move, remember to tell them that a free €50 treatcard to use on loads of funstuff like waterskiing could be theirs, as well as free calls and texts to everyone on O2 and of course, an iPhone, if they can find another 10 friends to move to O2. "

(2) OLD VERSION

(2) NEW VERSION
    "No, an eligible person can only get one iPhone for a fiver. You are an eligible person when 10 of your friends that you invited using the getaniphone.ie website subsequently ported to O2 and topped up by €20."

I hope you can appreciate that we take potentially misleading statements very seriously, that was why we have made these changes so quickly. Someone more eloquent than I will most likely do some fine-tuning on Monday, but the point will remain the same.

Thanks again.

This is why I always liked o2. Excellent customer service and they always listen to their customers and act on their feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Does seem like an awful lot of hassle to get an iphone for a fiver. Anyone who is my friend are more than likely happy on their network, so I doubt they'd switch to o2.

Still, I'd love to give this a go.....any 10 boardsies willing to switch to o2 for me? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Maybe this is obvious to anyone who has put in a little time studying this: but is each friend linked only to you: I assume two people can't sign up the same friend. Is there a referral code?

Maybe this is obvious to anyone who has put in a little time studying this: but is each friend linked only to you: I assume two people can't sign up the same friend. Is there a referral code?

Its in the tandc. No, you can't.. Assume there is a check online or when they verify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

I've had a good response to this so far but I need a few more "friends"...

If you're not interested in applying for this O2 offer yourself, I'll give you €5 (cash) if you'll help me apply.

I'll send you a sim card (free of course). All you have to do is port and register it to O2 and top it up by €20 in time (and you'll get another €20 free from O2). AND... I'll give you a nice crisp fiver for your trouble.

Shucks I'll even port and register the sim for you if you like!

PM me if you like free money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

I think it would be no harm setting up a thread to take full advantage of this. I mean i ported over to O2 and got nothing months ago.
    I'm sure a good 50 or 100 people port over every day. I know if it was me i wouldn't mind sending my number over to somebody to use in their 10 friends. First thing your going to do after a port is top up by €20 for free txts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

From the FAQ:
    Q 10: If I get 20 friends over can I get 2 3G iPhones?

That clearly means that one person cannot sign up like 50 friends and get 5 iPhones (just like the question asks), one iPhone per person means the person signing up the friends can only get one.

I know that's been cleared up by now but I'm surprised there was any misunderstanding given what Q10 is asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's such an interest piquing offer but so hard to make work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I rang 02 about it. Asking them about their price plans, my friend changed and so I will too cause I want free texts to 02.

So I menchen about this offer. The girl did not know what I was talking about. She told me it was 400 euro or something. I told her about the offer and she said she never heard and she went to ask a superviser.

She comes back and says the offer is vaid and says its only avadable the present 02 customers and not to me. Then she askes how I found out. I tell her a friend.

She sayed that emails were sent to something like 3,000 existing custmers and the offer is for them.

Then I ask her to email me the Terms and Conditions, she hesitates and says they were sent to the 3,000 custmers by email.

What do you think of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Appleguy wrote: »
    I think it would be no harm setting up a thread to take full advantage of this. I mean i ported over to O2 and got nothing months ago.
    I'm sure a good 50 or 100 people port over every day. I know if it was me i wouldn't mind sending my number over to somebody to use in their 10 friends. First thing your going to do after a port is top up by €20 for free txts anyway.

This is a super idea

If there is anyone here who is thinking of joining O2 in the coming few weeks and if they wouldn't mind would you be so kind and PM me your number and email address so I can add you to my list.

I know its a long shot but who knows, might work.

Cheers

That clearly means that one person cannot sign up like 50 friends and get 5 iPhones (just like the question asks), one iPhone per person means the person signing up the friends can only get one.

I know that's been cleared up by now but I'm surprised there was any misunderstanding given what Q10 is asking.

It was part of a few poorly worded areas. That question can be read either way.
    padocon wrote: »
    I rang 02 about it. Asking them about their price plans, my friend changed and so I will too cause I want free texts to 02.

So I menchen about this offer. The girl did not know what I was talking about. She told me it was 400 euro or something. I told her about the offer and she said she never heard and she went to ask a superviser.

She comes back and says the offer is vaid and says its only avadable the present 02 customers and not to me. Then she askes how I found out. I tell her a friend.

She sayed that emails were sent to something like 3,000 existing custmers and the offer is for them.

Then I ask her to email me the Terms and Conditions, she hesitates and says they were sent to the 3,000 custmers by email.

What do you think of that?

That is correct. The offer was not sent to everybody and not everybody in o2 is aware. There is a seperate support email and website for this offer. You can ask some questions on the o2 forum, or here if Daryll or someone who understands it spots it.

Text messages were sent and possibly emails to selected candidates for the offer. There is no restriction in terms of who can use it, its just not being advertised much as they can not meet the demand. So if you were not give the text, but found out about it, you can signup on the website (www.getaniphone.ie) and invite your friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Let's get down to the meat of things - we'd all agree at worst, a brand new iPhone 3G for €105 euro without bill pay is still a good deal, so I think the question you need to ask yourself to make the offer worthwhile is do you think you'd be willing to pester at least five people into porting - anything over that is gravy.

What puts everything into perspective is the fact the iPhone, even in it's 'lowly' 8GB form, remains €480 on pre-pay from o2. So for o2, at the very least, this is a big offer.

Sarge wrote: »
    you work for o2 i take it ? I used to work for them theres always a catch :)

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sounds like a great offer in theory but having organised trips away and stuff like go-karting etc. down through the years I could only imagine the hassle involved in trying to get 10 people to actually go through with this.
    And God only knows how many calls you'd be getting off people asking you, "Where's my iPhone for a fiver??"

• Advertisement
Advertisement