Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone for a fiver

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Asking 10 friends to change! Why would they change! You would have to pay them I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey guys, thinking of trying this out. One thing though, I got a free sim off meteor before and had to buy 10 euro credit. However the credit is not on that sim. Do you have to put the tenner on to the sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

padocon wrote: »
    Asking 10 friends to change! Why would they change! You would have to pay them I reckon!

That's the nuts and bolts of it. Either you genuinely get people to change or you try and scam by buying sims yourself.

A) Why would people change? Maybe you could convince one or two people that their existing networks aren't as good as 02 but ten? Doubtful.

B) You buy sims and give them to your friends. Doesn't cost them a penny. What could be the problem?

Well, they'd have to agree to give all their details to O2. A company they may have no interest in having contact with.

You have to brief them to go along with the story if O2 did decide to call them. So that's relying on someone not being a weak link and giving the game away. Which I'm sure would entitle o2 to not give the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sweet. I have 6 very close family/friends who are willing to help out as Im still using my 7610 :) but I might need to coerce 4 others. Free €20 o2 credit should get them. They owe me after I unlocked their phones for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Free Meteor Sims Here - if its anyhelp to anymore getting this offer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This has now changed to find only 5 friends but you gotta topup by €40..
    Finding it a little difficult to switch 10 friends to O2? Don't worry, now we've made it even easier to get your hands on an iPhone for a fiver. All you have to do is get just 5 friends to switch to O2 and top up by €40. Then a shiny new iPhone is all yours for a fiver.

If one of your friends has already switched to O2 as part of our iPhone for a fiver promotion, all you need to do is get 4 more to switch and top up by €40. If two of your friends have switched, you simply need to get 3 more friends to switch and top up by €40. And so on.

And that's not all. When all your friends have switched to O2 and topped up by €40, we'll post you out a free €50 treat card to spend on funstuff like an introductory flight lesson or paintballing.

There's lots in it for your friends too. When they switch to O2 they'll get:

A free €50 Treat Card to spend on funstuff like quad biking
    or wakeboarding.
    Free calls and texts to everyone on O2 with O2 Experience
    Plus.
    Priority tickets to The O2.
    An iPhone for a fiver. If they get 5 more friends to switch to
    O2 and top up by €40.

If you have any questions about the iPhone for a fiver promotion, drop us an email at support@getaniphone.ie and we'll do our best to answer it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Anyone actually get an iphone for a fiver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Just buy an LG KP500 for €130 and don't hassle anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm wondering are they just trying to shift this old stock of iPhones and will there be better offers on them as time goes on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You buy a replica iphone for around €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

While nothing has been confirmed, as is the usual with Apple, all the indications are that there is a 32Gb iPhone 3G coming in the summer.

Industry analysts have indicated at Apple bought up huge stocks of flash memory.

If usual policies are to be followed it would indicate that the 8Gb will be deleted and the 16Gb will become the base model. Hence the promotion(s) to shift excess 8Gb iPhone stocks.

I will be looking to pick up a 32Gb iPhone in Italy around launch time as they are sold SIM free over there. Also sold SIM free in Belgium for anyone heading that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You buy a replica iphone for around €100.

Are you seriously suggesting that they're comparable?

Syferus wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that they're comparable?
    Well the ones I have seen are dual sim models. Personally I would not buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

fdevine wrote: »
    Industry analysts have indicated at Apple bought up huge stocks of 32Gb SSDs.

If usual policies are to be followed it would indicate that the 8Gb will be deleted and the 16Gb will become the base model. Hence the promotion(s) to shift excess 8Gb iPhone stocks.

You're probably right about the new capacity iphones but you're wrong in regard to Analysts indications on Apple's memory purchases. Apple have acquired 100 million 8Gb flash chips which they then can convert into the size they desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Fair enough, but the appeal of the iPhone is more than it simply having the Apple logo on it - and don't get more started on how absurd the Apple cult of personality is - it's the App Store and the thousands of programs that are exclusive to it. It's very much established itself as the third major handheld gaming platform as well as having multiple other App Store-centric uses.

Of course it's easy to get a touch screen phone that plays music, but it's the App Store that really sets the iPhone apart these days.

......you're wrong in regard to Analysts indications on Apple's memory purchases.....

Corrected my post to take your observation into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

If I do go and get 5 free meteor sims change them to o2 top up them with €40 online but never put them us the sims is not enough for o2 or will they try and verify that the phones are in use?

That would be enough. Once the 5 sims have had 40 on them it would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

That would be enough. Once the 5 sims have had 40 on them it would do.
    Cheers for the quick reply, would I have to port or buy any credit on the meteor sims before I transfer to o2?

You can port straight to o2 without spending a penny on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

fdevine wrote: »

I will be looking to pick up a 32Gb iPhone in Italy around launch time as they are sold SIM free over there. Also sold SIM free in Belgium for anyone heading that direction.

I'll be in Milan at the end of this month, I'll be too early for the launch but would even the 8Gb 3G one be cheap enough over there at that time do you think?

EDIT: From the TIM site they look to be about €500.

I'll be in Milan at the end of this month, I'll be too early for the launch but would even the 8Gb 3G one be cheap enough over there at that time do you think?

EDIT: From the TIM site they look to be about €500.

IIRC the prices for the iPhone 3G models are identical to those on O2 here, with vodafone Italy at least. That's €499 for the 8Gb & €569 for the 16Gb.

The advantage is that you are getting a SIM free phone as Italian law prohibits the selling of network tied mobiles IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Not to derail the thread completely, but do you know what the process is if buying an iPhone in Italy? Does it need to be activated in *any* way over there or can you just bring the box home unopened and stick a sim in it and have it work?

Thanks for any/all info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Mixie wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread completely, but do you know what the process is if buying an iPhone in Italy? Does it need to be activated in *any* way over there or can you just bring the box home unopened and stick a sim in it and have it work?

Thanks for any/all info.

I don't know the answer to your question but there is a dedicated iphone forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

Well there is the pain in the arse of getting 5 numbers ported, o2 don't allow over the phone ports so you have to go to a shop and fill out forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pdaly92

good deal if you can be arsed I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Well getting 5 simcards activated in the first place will cost you aswell

cotwold wrote: »
    Well getting 5 simcards activated in the first place will cost you aswell

http://freesims.ie/

Davy wrote: »

All very fine but do you have to top them up with credit to activate them? I tried to find the terms and conditions to read but they're hidden.

cotwold wrote: »
    All very fine but do you have to top them up with credit to activate them? I tried to find the terms and conditions to read but they're hidden.

They usually come with 50 cent on each.

What terms are talking about? The actual iphone offer terms itself?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms%20and%20conditions/Promotions#iPhoneTreat5

No the terms and conditions of the free sim offer. If they come activated with credit on them im impressed. Meteor free sims have to be topped up with 10euro to activate them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

If you are already an o2 customer and you port another sim onto o2 will this qualify under this scheme?

If you are already an o2 customer and you port another sim onto o2 will this qualify under this scheme?

The terms said 'friends' but im sure it would count unless they really check all the fine details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Got my iphone!!!:) Ten Friends. gathered 2 friends haha and sourced 8 old sims and ported them all to 02, this was a job in itself as some customer care reps didn't know that you can actually port over the phone. Eventually got the iphone! Too much hassle(IMO) because I dont like it!:D:D Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Eventually got the iphone! Too much hassle(IMO) because I dont like it!:D:D Sorry

maseur8.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DaveGefow

Hey, wondering if any of u guys can help me with some info here.

I want an iphone sooo bad, lieterally all my friends are 02 though, asked the few friends that were 085 but none of them wanted to change over, which sucks BUT i still want an iphone. so wanted to do it the more expensive way of getting 085 sim cards making fake details and porting them over to 02 and topping up 40 euro each. just want to make sure this is DEFO a possible loophole before i embark! Has any of you guys done it this way??

Would i be right in saying it would cost me 255euro in total? 50euro to activate 085 sims, 40euro X 5phones, and then fiver for the iphone right?
    Do 02 do any checks to make sure you dont do it this way? ie. does the meteor sim have to be in use for ages before they allow it in the offer...etc....??

Please anybody give me as much info about this iphone loophole as possible? Thanks in advance!:)

Actually you don't need to put anything on the meteor sims.

Actually you don't need to put anything on the meteor sims.

Man are you sure? cuz that would take the price down to 205 right? have you done it this way?

All you need do is stick the meteor sims in a phone turn it on and then port them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Has anyone actually got an iphone from this offer, either legit or using fake names ect?

brightkane wrote: »
    Has anyone actually got an iphone from this offer, either legit or using fake names ect?

Yep, my friend got his iphone on monday, he did it the legit way, so i have no real proof if you can do it the fake way - ANYONE here do it fakesies?

Also Bond007, whats the best way to get meteor sims / are they free yeah?

• Advertisement

DaveGefow wrote: »

Also Bond007, whats the best way to get meteor sims / are they free yeah?

Order a free sim here: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/free_sim/

Davy wrote: »

Cool, had a look, but i need five - so i would have to register five different fake people but real address of people i know / can collect from, so would it be better to do it in five different meteor stores in town maybe? what do you think? thanks,

The meteor stores in town will charge you €10 each.

The meteor stores in town will charge you €10 each.

Hey Bond, thanks for the info regarding the free sims!

id love to ask you or anyone who knows now, is this how i go about this deal:

0: register my correct details on iphoneforafiver.ie

1: go to meteor.ie and order 5 sims to fake names and address, where i can collect (these will come registered)

2: Port them over to 02. but how? literally ring 02 and ask them? do i need to ring 02 off the meteor number i wish to port?

3: top up by 40euro in one go on each sim

4: claim iphone. (Total cost= 205 euro)

Please anyone who knows correct me if im wrong here anywhere.

Thanks!

Between steps 1 and 2 you need to register the meteor numbers on iphoneforafiver.ie, that is very important or else no iphone for you.
    2: Port them over to 02. but how? literally ring 02 and ask them? do i need to ring 02 off the meteor number i wish to port?
    This is where you could have a problem. You need to physically go into an o2 store to port the numbers. This is where some friends would come in handy. I would think that a o2 store will not allow you to port 5 numbers in one go. 1 or 2 at a push but no way for 5. If you don't have the manpower just go around to several phone shops and do it yourself using some fake names.

• Advertisement
Advertisement