Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone with a 3G Sim for Data only?

• 15-04-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm wodering if I take out a 3G contract with o2 for one of their mobile data modems. Say 10gig a month at €20, can I buy a second hand Iphone and stick the Sim from the 3G modem into it and use the Iphone for Data only? Both o2 no need to worry about unlocking?
    I have a phone for work which the bill is paid for so don't need the phone part of the Iphone. To buy the phone through o2 it'd cost €40 amonth for 1gig!
    I have an Itouch which I think is the Business and would love the possibility to use full data access anywhere. And could I then also use the Iphone as a Bluetooh PAN Modem for my Netbook, availing of a full 10gig of Data?
    ... i love this stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

peterpiper wrote: »
    And could I then also use the Iphone as a Bluetooh PAN Modem for my Netbook, availing of a full 10gig of Data?
    ... i love this stuff!

As it stands, you cannot do this. You will need to either wait for version 3 of the operating system to come out in June, or Jailbreak the phone (I think there is software that allows you to do the Bluetooth thing) and use unofficial software.

As for the SIM, I would imagine it would work on the iPhone itself, not certain, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭peterpiper

Thanks Tom. Popped into an o2 Shop yesterday and they say you can put an o2 3g sim in. Voice and SMS would be charged at premium though. As for 'tethering' it as a modem. Aparrantly Apples Bluetooth is a bit fussy. Seems possible on ver 3.0, but I see there are ways of doing it over wifi! Could be a runner...

Advertisement