Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Alright before I start, this is a HTPC build however i need criticism on parts so if it can stay here it'd be much appreciated. Below are the parts I'm about to buy:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Tray 3072Kb, LGA775, 64bit - €99
    ASUS P5N7A-VM, Sockel 775, mATX - €97
    Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB X 2 - €155
    4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-8500 Reaper, CL5 - €56

I have a spare 8800GTS that I'm going to throw into the pc for gaming, however I have the dilemma that I'm buying the board for its HDMI output but if I throw an 8800 in there i won't be able to use the HDMI port. Also using a sound card will defeat this purpose as well?

I chose these cause they seem grand but if anyone has any alternatives (except changing to AMD) then I'm game to hear?

Also any advice on a high end PSU for my main build? as I'm pulling the old switcheroo and taking the PSU out of my current build and putting it in the HTPC

Thanks

Req

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

requiem1 wrote: »
    Alright before I start, this is a HTPC build however i need criticism on parts so if it can stay here it'd be much appreciated. Below are the parts I'm about to buy:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Tray 3072Kb, LGA775, 64bit - €99
    ASUS P5N7A-VM, Sockel 775, mATX - €97
    Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB X 2 - €155
    4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-8500 Reaper, CL5 - €56

I have a spare 8800GTS that I'm going to throw into the pc for gaming, however I have the dilemma that I'm buying the board for its HDMI output but if I throw an 8800 in there i won't be able to use the HDMI port. Also using a sound card will defeat this purpose as well?

I chose these cause they seem grand but if anyone has any alternatives (except changing to AMD) then I'm game to hear?

Also any advice on a high end PSU for my main build? as I'm pulling the old switcheroo and taking the PSU out of my current build and putting it in the HTPC

Thanks

Req

What do you intend to use the HTPC for?
    is it just for simple playback of files or do you intend to record telly as well? Or play games on the telly as well if you are popping in a 8800GT:D

If is just for playback i would consider a small, lowpower NAS media box such as a popcorhour A110.
    http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=

All the ins and outs you would need, small footprint and low power. And huge codec support that is constantly updated.

If you are using XP on your HTPC you should be able to have both gfx cards running at the same time. Vista you can have x2 gfx cards running as long as they use the same gfx driver. (I see the onboard gfx card is a nvidia, so you prob would get away with this under vista.)

For you main build: anything by seasonic/corasir should fit the bill nicely and run quiet. 650W-850W are on sale on komplett ranging from €90-130.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

uberpixie wrote: »
    What do you intend to use the HTPC for?
    is it just for simple playback of files or do you intend to record telly as well? Or play games on the telly as well if you are popping in a 8800GT:D

If is just for playback i would consider a small, lowpower NAS media box such as a popcorhour A110.
    http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=

All the ins and outs you would need, small footprint and low power. And huge codec support that is constantly updated.

If you are using XP on your HTPC you should be able to have both gfx cards running at the same time. Vista you can have x2 gfx cards running as long as they use the same gfx driver. (I see the onboard gfx card is a nvidia, so you prob would get away with this under vista.)

For you main build: anything by seasonic/corasir should fit the bill nicely and run quiet. 650W-850W are on sale on komplett ranging from €90-130.

The rig is going to serve pretty much all the things you laid out there, I'm looking at it as a NAS, TV, Playback of music and video, torrent down loader and gaming box(Mainly emulator stuff and HL2 etc)

I debated the whole getting a mini itx with intel atom, but it limits my needs severely.

I'll probably run vista or windows 7 cause the media centre in that is meant to be the biz.

I'm generally just looking for confirmation on the hardware, cause I've never delved into the world of HTPC. Also I would like it to be low power if I'm going to have it on all the time

Advertisement