Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair Time? Replacement?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone have any experience in a getting a laptop / product repaired with PC World.

I bought an Acer Laptop before Xmas for the girlfriend and it broke near the end of Febuary. Almost 8weeks!!! :mad: Still not fixed or any contact from the store?

Should I be entitled to a replacement product?

I thought if a product has not been repaired / returned within 4 weeks you are given a replacement?

I tried ringing the store and they wont give me a straight answer and say that the returns / repair department is not available etc.

Can anyone help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely wouldn't give a laptop into pcworld. Have heard way too many horror stories on this board to recommend them. Have you tried contacting acer directly? They apparently have great support. If you like i could note this thread over to the consumer issues forum if you're unsure of your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Definitely wouldn't give a laptop into pcworld. Have heard way too many horror stories on this board to recommend them. Have you tried contacting acer directly? They apparently have great support. If you like i could note this thread over to the consumer issues forum if you're unsure of your rights.

Yes please Alanstrainor,

Havn't tried Acer direct. Had to leave it in Pc World I thought as I bought it there and still under warranty.

I'm just sick of waiting - surely a 7/8 week repair time is too much....

Can i demand a refund / replacement / or alternative laptop?? - i would even pay the difference!! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Drop into the store and ask to speak to the manager. I think the policy is that once it goes over 42 days you get a replacement laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the repair should take a reasonable time but given pc worlds reputation your laptop is probably lying in a back room in the store.

go into the store and ask when it will be repaired and tell the store manager that if you do not get it back within 10 days repaired and fully functioning you will be seeking a full refund.

you would be entitled to seek this as the store have shown themselves incapable of providing adequate after sales care so a replacement would only be plagued with the same level of after sales care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Which Pc World was it? If it goes over 42 days go in and ask them to replace it. You are entitled to a replacement laptop after 35 days under manufacturer and 42 days under coverplan. Which ever the case may be here you are entitled to one.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Which Pc World was it? If it goes over 42 days go in and ask them to replace it. You are entitled to a replacement laptop after 35 days under manufacturer and 42 days under coverplan. Which ever the case may be here you are entitled to one.

Left it into Dundalk - PC World where I bought it.

Is there anywhere online that backs up what you are saying regarding the 35 days coverplan?

The laptop wasnt insured with PC world but still under the 1 year maunfacturers warranty so does this still apply?

I read elsewhere that I would be entitled to vouchers for PC World after the 42 days?

Can anyone back that up?

Going to go in after work and see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They have completely failed to repair, replace or refund in a reasonable time, which they are required to by law. I'd be back in right now and not leave without a full refund. Do not take any guff from them. 8 weeks with no contact is just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

thewools wrote: »
    Left it into Dundalk - PC World where I bought it.

Is there anywhere online that backs up what you are saying regarding the 35 days coverplan?

The laptop wasnt insured with PC world but still under the 1 year maunfacturers warranty so does this still apply?

Under warranty 35 days. Under cover plan 42 days. I can confirm this is correct. Send me a PM if you need any further help.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    They have completely failed to repair, replace or refund in a reasonable time, which they are required to by law. I'd be back in right now and not leave without a full refund. Do not take any guff from them. 8 weeks with no contact is just not on.

Actually by law it is up to the retailer to either offer a repair, replacement or refund. They will only offer a replacement at this stage. Going in and giving out will not get you anywhere.

They will replace it for you because it's over 35 days. Just go in and speak to the person at their customer service.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help - I went in on Saturday and got everything resolved.

The guy at the PC clinic never heard of replacing the laptop under the 35 days warranty. But after talking to the manager he swiftly said that yes that was correct and offered a replacement.

So the g/friend picked out a Pink Dell Mini instead :rolleyes: - I tried converting her to an Samsung NC10 (like mine :cool:) but she had her heart set on the little pink netbook...

Thanks again guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

M wife did the same. My laptop packed in & I had to take hers to a conference instead.

That was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Actually by law it is up to the retailer to either offer a repair, replacement or refund.

I used to think that too, but the law doesn't actually state who gets to make the decision. I would guess, the final say would come down to a judge, if you bring it that far.

Going in and giving out will not get you anywhere.

Actually, it might. Waiting this long with no reply from the shop would seriously piss me off, and I wouldn't leave without my money. Jumping up and down and creating a scene may not help, but there's a lot to be said for giving out about their shoddy (or non-existent) service.

Glad to hear you gpot sorted out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

once you know exactly what your rights are their is no need to skip holler and jump,to the OP you got great advice here!

When you know your rights you can:

speak softly but carry a big stick:)

Advertisement