Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Barcelona CL SF

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Take that, Get in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

advantage chelski

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Like wtf is Anelka gonna do now...

The pressure is on Chelsea...
    Eh, waste time bringing on a sub.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Disgusting to see Scunthorpe get a draw there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

40 Big ones. Happy days :) 20 going on the 1-1 20 on 2-2 in the return leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sh1t on a stick.

As a Red I can only be doubly dissapointed we went out last round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

sammy eto is ripped!

Jazzy wrote: »
    advantage chelski

I'm not too sure about that. Not scoring away from home in Europe can be fatal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I can, Fiver @ 8-1 at the start.

well done mate

cant believe it finished 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Like I said earlier. Spanking no-hopers like Lisbon and Bayern is one thing. But to do that against the top teams in Europe is something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

CHD wrote: »
    Eh, waste time bringing on a sub.....

He should have been brought in earlier...

Disappointing match, boring, poor performance
    Man of the match-Cech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote: »
    As a Red I can only be doubly disappointed we went out last round.

Ditto. Very much ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

MIN2511 wrote: »
    He should have been brought in earlier...

Disappointing match, boring, poor performance
    Man of the match-Cech

I enjoyed it. Frustrating at times, but barca's passing and movement v's chelsea's strength and organisation made it compelling IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm actually a bit embarrassed for Abramovich right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

disappointed too, was expecting a goal.
    advantage chelsea imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ivanovic was very good wasn't he?

Barca missing two defenders for next leg and having to play Real on saturday means Chelsea have a shout

ps. If you are a cheslea fan and don't know what my sig is about please be a sport and challenge me only takes 30 seconds (fun java fighting hero game)

jesus I was nearly falling a sleep there

fair play to chelsea thou,came and did a job but as a neutral its was boring crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Enjoyed that game. Was up for Barcelona, as a Barcelona supporter ofc course:)

Chelsea's defence were great tbh unfortunetly messi didn't have his shooting boots on. Could of been a different game if he had. But chelsea held out very well. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Headshot wrote: »
    well done mate

cant believe it finished 0-0

Figured we'd see the same as with United last season. Still expect Barca to go through in a score draw as Chelsea have to attack at home a bit more.

PiE wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit embarrassed for Abramovich right now.
    Go on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Go on....

I'm interested to know where this going too..

Sh1t on a stick.

Some sorta victory tonight then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Danny Alves is "braindead" going forward, and he "can't defend at all" -- Dunphy :D

Bill also asking some incisive and probing questions, kindly provided by a staff member...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Go on....

ill get my popcorn

Go on....
    Well he's spent all that money and gone through 4 managers so far in his quest to build a footballing dynasty based on attacking, free-flowing football... and that's what he gets?

I think someone said it better before me... Scunthorpe did well.

rossie1977 wrote: »

lol that link actually works :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Missed the match, was expecting Barca to score but as Souness just said 'Chelsea did a number on them'

Assuming that the Marques injury is quite bad, who will be able to partner Pique in the second leg? Milito is crocked for the rest of the season, and I'm not even sure Barcelona have another centre back availabe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well he's spent all that money and gone through 4 managers so far in his quest to build a footballing dynasty based on attacking, free-flowing football... and that's what he gets?

you can build all the fast-flowing attacking teams that you want but when you go to the Nou Camp you don't go out to attack or you lose 4 or 5 nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

one of these days souness will swing for dunphy i'm sure.
    hope my beer is not in my mouth when he does.
    'liverpool scored 4 goals at stamford bridge',cue the souness look.rewind it lads:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

And all these years I thought it was called the Nou Camp!

Assuming that the Marques injury is quite bad, who will be able to partner Pique in the second leg? Milito is crocked for the rest of the season, and I'm not even sure Barcelona have another centre back availabe.

not sure of the barca squad but maybe Yaya

who was superb tonight btw ,quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

What rubbish. If you try to play that kind of football at the Nou Camp, you be murdered in defence. Barca were just as culpable, creating few clear-cut chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No goals but I certaily didn't find it boring, thought it was quite an absorbing game...

Credit to Chelsea managing to keep a clean sheet against a team of that quality. Barca must be sick to death playing these English teams, and scratching their heads wondering how they can not win. Barca deserved it but Chelsea defended really well, both individually and collectively. Rode their luck at times, but they kept a clean sheet regardless and that's pretty impressive, Barca have been destroying teams at home this season.

As for the second leg - I think its so finely poised very hard to call. I wouldn't say advantage Chelsea because they essentially have to beat Barca or else bring it to extra time/peno's. And they didn't look like doing that tonight.

That said Barca could be vulnerable from set-pices/defensive lapses. But of course they are very capable of scoring at Stamford Bridge and a score draw is enough.

For this reason, even though they will be dissappointed by the draw I would say advantage Barca (just). Very hard to call though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not impressed by Barcelona at all. Starting to look like it's all been so much hype tbh.

That's their third 90 minutes in two seasons against the only teams that provide anything of a yardstick for them to measure themselves against and once more they've failed to score.

The people who were frothing on all day and indeed all week about how Messi is on "a completely different level" to ordinary everyday players like Ronaldo, Lampard, Torres etc need to watch and rewatch that match until a little thing called reality sets in imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not a fantastic game really. What chances there were seemed wasted and the diving gets worse.

Eh, we just kept Barca scoreless at the camp nou, His team are in the semi final of the chapions league and have home advantage in the 2nd leg now and will be slight favourites to go through against these apparent world beaters who score for fun. Thats what he got.

Why would we even go to Barca and attack. We have achieved alot playing the way we do, might be a bit light on the flanks but nothings really changed.

Don't be so foolish.

Sh1t on a stick.

I feel your pain Mike. I did say when the draw was made that the winner of pool-Chelsea would make the final and I stand by that

Random wrote: »
    Not a fantastic game really. What chances there were seemed wasted and the diving gets worse.

horrible to fu'cking watch

Alves the main culprit

• Advertisement

Eh, we just kept Barca scoreless at the camp nou, His team are in the semi final of the chapions league and have home advantage in the 2nd leg now and will be slight favourites to go through against these apparent world beaters who score for fun. Thats what he got.

Why would we even go to Barca and attack. We have achieved alot playing the way we do, might be a bit light on the flanks but nothings really changed.

Both Mourinho and Grant did this and more, yet they were both booted out for not being exciting enough. What makes this performance more acceptable?

Both Mourinho and Grant did this and more, yet they were both booted out for not being exciting enough. What makes this performance more acceptable?
    You just beleieve everything the papers say don't ya.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not impressed by Barcelona at all. Starting to look like it's all been so much hype tbh.
    How could Barcelona ever be hype, I thought that only applied to the English Premier League? Y'know, Andy Gray, Sky Sports, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

keane2097 wrote: »

That's their third 90 minutes in two seasons against the only teams that provide anything of a yardstick for them to measure themselves against and once more they've failed to score.

The people who were frothing on all day and indeed all week about how Messi is on "a completely different level" to ordinary everyday players like Ronaldo, Lampard, Torres etc need to watch and rewatch that match until a little thing called reality sets in imo.

Couple of points to make on this quote:

1) Its alot difficult to score when 3/4 of the time when Barca were attacking chelsea had 7-8 players deep in there own half.

2)Chelsea were barely attacking that match other then cech kicking the ball up the field from a goalkick and giving it straight back. Other then the odd chance by 1 or 2 good passes or a mistake by a Barca defender chelsea had nothing. They went out there to hold there own and maybe get a counter attack goal. Which did work well for them I must say.

3)Messi is a fantastic player. He is 21 and can do anything with a ball. By his standards and by his ''hype'' he should of maybe scored 1 or 2 today but he still played well.

Xavi and Iniesta played great for Barca in the midfield might I add.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Jose Bosingwa;

24/8/1982 - 28/4/09

R.I.P
    :pac::pac::D
    naaaaaaa

Bosingwa will have him in his back pocket ;)(i hope)

so much for RIP ;)

Bosingwa did a great job tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Couple of points to make on this quote:

1) Its alot difficult to score when 3/4 of the time when Barca were attacking chelsea had 7-8 players deep in there own half.

There was no shortage of nailed on chances for them to score tonight.They missed a couple of sitters and and didnt even manage to hit the target with a few of their half chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought Chelsea played a great game. That's how you park the bus.

I'd fancy Chelsea to go through now. I reckon it will be Moscow part 2...in Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

so much for RIP ;)

Bosingwa did a great job tonight

+1

Although possibly lucky not to concede a penalty. I've never really seen a match in which Bosingwa has come up against a class winger, or in a game where he would be constantly under pressure for 90 minutes. I had heard a few times that he was suposedly poor defensively. But not on this showing.

Was trying to think earlier who could be classed as the best right-back in the Premiership and I felt there were no outstanding candidates, and no one who could do justice to Cole or Evra or Clichy as leftbacks.

Bosingwa would probably get my vote though; seems like he has more to his game than just pace and crossing ability (which in the first half of the season was used to great effect). Thoughts? Knee-jerk reaction or valid observation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So what? The other team's tactics made scoring difficult - big fcuking deal. Blaming Chelsea for Barcelona proves only that Barcelona can't break down the best defences and is certainly not anything of an excuse for them.

The failed to score in two legs against United last year as well.
    2)Chelsea were barely attacking that match other then cech kicking the ball up the field from a goalkick and giving it straight back. Other then the odd chance by 1 or 2 good passes or a mistake by a Barca defender chelsea had nothing.

Barcelona had a couple of chances, Chelsea had a couple of chances, not very many huge chances either bar Drogba's chance in the first half and Bojan's chance in the second.

Essentially Barcelona had the vast majority of possession for the entire game and failed to do much with it.
    3)Messi is a fantastic player. He is 21 and can do anything with a ball.

I'm starting to wonder about him tbh.

Bosingwa, who is a right back, had him in his pocket the majority of the game tonight. Last year he did nothing against United that sticks out in my mind and Liverpool fans will tell you that Arbeloa gave him a good roasting when Liverpool met them a few years ago as well.

This game, if nothing else, has shown that the only real yardstick for teams and players to measure themselves against is to come up against one of the English top four.

The closest rivals Barcelona have in Spain were destroyed by Liverpool, who it doesn't even look like will be the best English team this year. Barcelona went out and hammered the best the Bundesliga has to offer as well as beating Lyon comfortably, yet they've struggled big time tonight against Chelsea.

It's finally time for this tedious old argument of "you don't know shít cos you only watch the premiership and sky sports and Andy Gray and Dunphy blaaaaaaaah" crap we've been getting over the last couple of months from people defending foreign teams and players.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't watch much La Liga, I don't watch much Serie A. Therefore, the only time I get to see "Europe's Best" is in the Champions League. If I'm to be convinced it has to be by performances in the biggest competition against the teams that I consider to be the best, the English top four.

Again, Barca have failed to impress me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea parked a bus. When a team that organised, that physical, and that talented park a bus, its ****ing difficult to break it down. It was a classic defensive performance I must say.

However, when they open up, I still expect them to get punished. Unless they plan on going 0-0 the whole way, then to extra time, then to penalties, I think they'll probably go out. Can't see Barca not scoring if they open up at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement