Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Barcelona CL SF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

CHD wrote: »
    You just beleieve everything the papers say don't ya.
    Oh sorry I didn't realise you were privy to more sensitive information than the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PHB wrote: »
    Chelsea parked a bus. When a team that organised, that physical, and that talented park a bus, its ****ing difficult to break it down. It was a classic defensive performance I must say.

However, when they open up, I still expect them to get punished. Unless they plan on going 0-0 the whole way, then to extra time, then to penalties, I think they'll probably go out. Can't see Barca not scoring if they open up at all.

Disagree, I think they'll go through comfortably now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Chelsea parked a bus. When a team that organised, that physical, and that talented park a bus, its ****ing difficult to break it down. It was a classic defensive performance I must say.

But Barce did get through a few times. Easily enough aswell. They just cant shoot for ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

keane2097 wrote: »
    Disagree, I think they'll go through comfortably now.

Boswinga was class tongiht. Stuck to messi like glue. he followed him. Good tactics by the master i have to say. Everyone is saying Barca will open chelsea in stamford bridge...dont be surpised if its the other way around, theyll be missing Puyol, possibly marquez. Cole should be able to stick to messi same way next week, bowinga revert to right, covering the threat from there tonight. I agree its all set for chelsea now. lets hope the gunners perfrom tmw night ;)

Stekelly wrote: »
    But Barce did get through a few times. Easily enough aswell. They just cant shoot for ****.

Meh, I wouldn't say the had too many great chances.

Bojan's miss was a great chance, besides that it was half chances really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Meh, I wouldn't say the had too many great chances.

Bojan's miss was a great chance, besides that it was half chances really.

eto,o chance

Hlebs one was a proper chance, he just turned it into a half chance.

Headshot wrote: »
    eto,o chance

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one - fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Was Messi playing tonite ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It clear enough that Barca score for fun against teams that just let them (or are no good), do a Jack Charlton on them and they weave pretty patterns to no good effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Barr wrote: »

A testament to Chelsea, they dug in and got a great result, bit like United at same stage last year. Have a funny feeling its finally their year in this competition.

Can someone poison Ray Houghtons pre-match meal for the return leg....sweet divine, instead of saying "Well done Cech, great save" it was nearly always "Ah he should have passed here, he should have passed there....etc etc" AAAARGGGHH!!!! I know I know its all been said before but jesus Ive never heard such a negative commentator in all my life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

All passing and going nowhere - Barca are over hyped tbh ... Advantage Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barr wrote: »
    Yes he was, he played for a team that made Chelsea look like Scunthorpe albeit they failed to score.
    While Messi was not at his best tonight they still were dynamic and just lacked that final ball. It was one way traffic from beginning to end.

I think the refereeing performance was pretty poor after he seemed to start well. I thought Alex should have been off(second yellow) for that challenge on Henry. Henry should also have had a penalty.

The only think that Chelsea managed tonight was to prevent that final killer pass from getting through, its disgraceful to see a multi million pound club full of world class talent have to resort to those tactics.

Basically Chelsea got lucky that they were not punished for the foul on Henry and that Barca failed to break them down often enough to make sure of that goal.

Messi didn't have his best game by any means but he is without doubt the most outstanding player on the planet. One, two or even three games doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone thinking barca are all hype, may get stung in a week's time.

barca missed a few chances tonight that they've been putting away all season. its too reminiscent of last year's Utd/Barca semi last year for my liking.

i was wrong. chelsea were far more effective than i expected. they did have one gameplan though. and at Stamford Bridge they have to come out a bit. its still very much 50/50.

advantage nobody really. 1-1 and its advantage Chelsea. 0-0 and its still completely on a knife-edge imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Yeah the game is set up for next week now really,
    There will be goals for sure, possibly not much in 1st half and then all hell breaking loose.

(look at my sig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Definitely advantage nobody. Barca don't have a lead to defend, Chelsea don't have an away goal. All square as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyone notice Eto O? The dude can run! His speed is brilliant!

MIN2511 wrote: »

pity Alex's is too.

Pity he cant lift his head up.

Can't multiquote on boards mobile...
    @ Slickrick- Alex didn't play well today.
    @ Stekelly- true, that would have been a perfect goal.

• Advertisement

@ Slickrick- Alex didn't play well today.

i didn't say he played well, just that he could keep up with him.

eto'o clean through from the halfway line and Alex kept up with him enough to force him into a difficult finish, enough for Cech to make a comfortable enough save.

if it had been Terry against him, it was more likely a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I thought Alex did well, Ivanovic too despite one early mistake.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i didn't say he played well, just that he could keep up with him.

eto'o clean through from the halfway line and Alex kept up with him enough to force him into a difficult finish, enough for Cech to make a comfortable enough save.

if it had been Terry against him, it was more likely a goal.
    Grand so! Dunno much about Alex... Not a Chelsea fan, judged from today's match. Will watch out for him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what amazing next 2 games for barca .season defying ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes he was, he played for a team that made Chelsea look like Scunthorpe albeit they failed to score.
    While Messi was not at his best tonight they still were dynamic and just lacked that final ball. It was one way traffic from beginning to end.

I think the refereeing performance was pretty poor after he seemed to start well. I thought Alex should have been off(second yellow) for that challenge on Henry. Henry should also have had a penalty.

The only think that Chelsea managed tonight was to prevent that final killer pass from getting through, its disgraceful to see a multi million pound club full of world class talent have to resort to those tactics.

Basically Chelsea got lucky that they were not punished for the foul on Henry and that Barca failed to break them down often enough to make sure of that goal.

Messi didn't have his best game by any means but he is without doubt the most outstanding player on the planet. One, two or even three games doesn't change that.

Quoting this for truth, one team was in complete and utter control and it's amazing how much peoples opinions are shaped by tiny instances in a match. Barca get a penalty, or score some of their chances, and the game otherwise plays out the exact same and people on here would be posting wildly different summaries of the same match. Barca absolutely dominated from start to finish and could easily have a decent lead going into the second leg, it's all to play for now but I think Barca have too much quality, though no Puyol, Millito or Marquez leaves the central defence quite exposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

hmmm

not impressed by Chelsea

advantage Barcelona

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mike65 wrote: »
    It clear enough that Barca score for fun against teams that just let them (or are no good), do a Jack Charlton on them and they weave pretty patterns to no good effect.

i love those "pretty much that" posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Poor Chelsea display. Needed the away goal. Advantage Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Quoting this for truth, one team was in complete and utter control and it's amazing how much peoples opinions are shaped by tiny instances in a match. Barca get a penalty, or score some of their chances, and the game otherwise plays out the exact same and people on here would be posting wildly different summaries of the same match. Barca absolutely dominated from start to finish and could easily have a decent lead going into the second leg, it's all to play for now but I think Barca have too much quality, though no Puyol, Millito or Marquez leaves the central defence quite exposed

at the same time, Chelsea also had two good chances that they normally would have taken (particularly Drogba's). the fact Barca dominated so much and couldn't put a lead between them tells its own tale. Nobody is in control of this tie imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Does anyone know any update on Marquez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Out for the rest of the season according to SS News. Be lucky to be back for the start of next season I'd say, judging by the way he went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

PiE wrote: »
    Out for the rest of the season according to SS News. Be lucky to be back for the start of next season I'd say, judging by the way he went down.

Thanks. You really could tell how much pain he was in, such a shame for him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair to Chelsea, they got their tactics 100% right. They did not even try to get out of their own half, let alone score. Sure Barca dominted possesion, but I would argue that Chelsea were, apart from the flurry in the last few minutes, completely comfortable and were happy to watch Barca stroke the ball about.

Regarding Marquez being missing for next week and the rest of the season - blessing in disguise! They guy is beyond useless at this level.

Wednesday should be fascinating. One would have to assume Chelsea will try and play the game. Barca will have a centre half pairing of Pique and Cacares.

I think Chelsea will win 1-0 and then queue the uneducated to shout that Barca are all hype and no substance :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Also, from what I saw, which was pretty much just the second half, Cech played very well IMO.

It's good to see him back with confidence again, such a great keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

While the match was by no means a cracker Chelsea achieved what they had to and that was to stop Barca scoring. In the bridge this will be a different game. We have seen with Barca in teh past when they conceed they get shacky and can be done over.

Barca dominated from start to finish but never really got into Chelsea. Chelsea went there with one thing in mind. The same one Liverpool and United had in mind on their last visit. Barca also dominated those games.

I think this match is there for the taking for Chelsea. Cole will be back and hopefully Ricky. Barca's defense is wide open for the 2nd leg. What Chlesea need to do though is bring Essien back into the middle. Xavi and particularly Inniesta had too much time on teh ball last night. Bring Essien in and he can shackle him and help Lampard out on the attack. Last night Lampard was constantly surrounded by 2 and 3 Barca players every time he touched the ball. Bring Essien in and give them something else to think about. Barca can score as we know at the bridge but I fancy Chelsea to go through.

"Dominating" the game means very little imo when the other team lets you do it.

If you don't go and win that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This tie is still 50-50 and it is only half-time. Barcelona were not at their best last night, they can only be better next week. They still should have won the match and had a blatant penalty turned away. The referee was terrible and gave the Barca players no protection. Messi also had probably his worst game of the season.

Chelsea defended brilliantly but came with very cynical and negative tactics - the only loser last night was the game of soccer. Lets pray that there isnt a repeat of last years negative final and that teams who actually want to play reach the final - ie Barcelona and Arsenal. It appears Chelsea are playing for penalties already as last night showed how technically inferior they are to Barca - i think 4 passes was the highest they could muster. Lets hope for the spirit of the game that Barcelona go on to Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bookies still sticking with Barca. They are about 2/1 favourites to win it outright. Chelsea, a bit over 3's.

Warper wrote: »
    Lets pray that there isnt a repeat of last years negative final and that teams who actually want to play reach the final - ie Barcelona and Arsenal. It appears Chelsea are playing for penalties already as last night showed how technically inferior they are to Barca - i think 4 passes was the highest they could muster. Lets hope for the spirit of the game that Barcelona go on to Rome.

Of course you've already watched the Arsenal United game and know that United have absolutely no interest in playing football :rolleyes:

Also you can tell that from one half of the over all fixture that Chelsea are already looking for penalties. It wouldn't be anything to do with playing the 2nd leg at home which means you have to go away to a 90k crowd against technically the best team and most attacking team in the world. If you were a manager what would you do? Go at Barca or try to contain them to get back on your home patch at level pegging where you can give them a crack?

playing for penalties already, what a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Scunthorpe are sure to rest a couple of their players this weekend to practice penalties.

What the hell have Scunthorpe got to do with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Whatever about the success of the premier leauge in Europe lately, if ever there was an advert against the English game, last night was it.

A 600 million football experiment too nervous to cross their own halfway line. They played extremely cynically as regards fouling, kept ten men behind the ball and their only tactic for going forward was to hoof it long to their big beast of a forward who it was hoped would draw a mistake from one of the defenders.

All that said, they did it extremely well. They are indeed good footballers and great defenders.

I can understand Stoke playing this way. I can understand Ireland and Greece playing this way. But this is a team with huge resources hell bent on being crowned champions of Europe. I think it would be a good thing if they never won it.

Scunthorpe are sure to rest a couple of their players this weekend to practice penalties.

Your posts are so bad I'm beginning to think you're a usual poster trolling on a gimmick account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Your posts are so bad I'm beginning to think you're a usual poster trolling on a gimmick account.

Someone earlier on had said that Barca made Chelsea look like Scunthorpe, so this is were he's getting it from I presume.

gosplan wrote: »
    But this is a team with huge resources hell bent on being crowned champions of Europe. I think it would be a good thing if they never won it.

Yeah Chelsea made a mess of it. The thing to do would have been to go all out and go at Barca. Remind me, the last team that tried that (bayern), how did that go for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just thinking about it, had it not been for a poor refereeing decision to not award Henry a penalty, better finishing from Hleb (why was he brought on? Useless useless) and Bojan, and not for a MOTM performace from Cech - would people still laud it as a tactical masterclass from Hiddink?

I think maybe, just maybe it showed that Chelsea are a very ordinary side who stuck to anti football to get their result last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

iregk wrote: »
    Yeah Chelsea made a mess of it. The thing to do would have been to go all out and go at Barca. Remind me, the last team that tried that (bayern), how did that go for them?

Chelsea made a mess of it by having no decent attacking players bar Drogba in their squad.

Yeah, containment is obviously the tactic that will be employed on the night but look at Man U last year. Defended for long spells but WOW! they've also got players who can run at people and like to attack so they can get forward too. Barca dominated as you'd expect them to do but Utd had their chances and even missed a penalty.

Same result, huge difference in how the teams went about it, and how they go about the game in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

hahahaha so funny lol lol lol, :rolleyes:

gimmick wrote: »
    Just thinking about it, had it not been for a poor refereeing decision to not award Henry a penalty, better finishing from Hleb (why was he brought on? Useless useless) and Bojan, and not for a MOTM performace from Cech - would people still laud it as a tactical masterclass from Hiddink?

I think maybe, just maybe it showed that Chelsea are a very ordinary side who stuck to anti football to get their result last night?

Just think about it. Had it not been for Drogba shooting straight at the keeper or Ballack heading over from 4 yards Chelsea would have had two away goals and would people then be questioning Hiddink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gimmick wrote: »

On chances I suppose it should have been 3-2, which is a better result than 0-0 for Chelsea IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement