Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleedin' radiators

Options
  • 15-04-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Its my Twilight Zone of a bathroom again - I bled my radiators last night, but couldn't find a bleed valve on the bathroom radiator, its one of those heated towel rail/ladder jobbies, - or does it not need one ?;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

It should be on the very top left or right outside columns. It looks like a brass fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Be careful - the last time I bled the towel warmer in the bathroom, it caused the pressure in the boiler downstairs to drop really low and it wouldnt turn on (I'm not sure of the logistics why!) I then had to fix that with the black lever (?) in the hotpress to re-pressurise it. Theres another thread on here about how to do that bit if it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Silly question but how do you bleed the rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Decks wrote: »
    Silly question but how do you bleed the rads?
    Buy a bleed key from woodies and open the valve on rads with it to clear airlocks. I know when I did mine, it was the bathromm ones which were the worst. Look out for spraying black water from the towel rail. Dont wear a white tee shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

eleMental wrote: »
    Be careful - the last time I bled the towel warmer in the bathroom, it caused the pressure in the boiler downstairs to drop really low and it wouldnt turn on (I'm not sure of the logistics why!) I then had to fix that with the black lever (?) in the hotpress to re-pressurise it. Theres another thread on here about how to do that bit if it happens...

If you take air out , you must replace it with water.The system is sealed & the pressure will drop , if you don't put in water. Old systems used to have a tank attached that filled up the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

i bled the towel rail a couple of weeks ago and now it's nice and toasty right to the top. i just turned the valve around with a normal screwdriver - it fitted perfectly. didn't know about the pressure dropping. how and where do you put in the water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

thanks folks - the pressure did indeed drop but its easy enough to repressurize, my valve is in the hot press, though it means me running up and down the stairs to check the boiler reading, to make sure I don't repressurize it too high... unless I can train one of the dogs....:)

btw I like to buy local whenever I can and Bradys at the end of the town sell bleed keys too, but each to their own etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

neets wrote: »
    i bled the towel rail a couple of weeks ago and now it's nice and toasty right to the top. i just turned the valve around with a normal screwdriver - it fitted perfectly. didn't know about the pressure dropping. how and where do you put in the water?

Can i ask how long you bled it for? Did much water come out?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

ciaran67 wrote: »

not long, less than 10 seconds. as soon as the black water started spurting everywhere i turned it off. a bit messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

neets wrote: »
    ciaran67 wrote: »

not long, less than 10 seconds. as soon as the black water started spurting everywhere i turned it off. a bit messy!

Thanks Neets. Nothing happened the first couple of times the heating came on then it kicked in. Nice and toasty!

tks again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement