Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good idea to take part in 5 mile, 10 mile and half Marathon?

• 15-04-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi all,

I set myself a challagne for this year and it is to complete the Dublin marathon on October.

I am wondering, would it be a good idea to take part in the 5 mile runner in July 18th, 10 mile runner in 15th August and half marathon on 26th September to set myself smaller challanges which would also help me get used to running in crowds?

Love to hear your opinions!!
    Niamh:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a very good idea. The shorter races along the way will give you a good idea of your progress along the way, and they can help to keep the motivation up.

Plus I think it's cheaper to register for all 3 of them at once, €45 if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes.

You also get some good "free" tshirts from the race series as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gaagaa

Going in the three races is a great idea. They were well organised last year.
    If in enter all together price reduced and get additional gift.
    Check out the dublinmarathon website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I set myself a challagne for this year and it is to complete the Dublin marathon on October.

I am wondering, would it be a good idea to take part in the 5 mile runner in July 18th, 10 mile runner in 15th August and half marathon on 26th September to set myself smaller challanges which would also help me get used to running in crowds?

Love to hear your opinions!!
    Niamh:D
    Registering for all three is a fantastic plan - go for it! The other reason is that there are usually many training plans available that incorporate these races into them and by following you will be ready and improving for them all.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hi Niamh,

I think it is a great idea. I did the same thing last year. Great practice - you get used to the race environment.

I pretty much started running around this time last year. 4 of us entered a relay team for the Cork City Marathon on June Bank Holiday weekend (I would recommend this) - then the seed was sown. I did the 5 miler, 10 miler and 13 miler that summer.

The only thing I will say about the 13 miler on 26th September is that it is very close to the Dublin Marathon - 4 weeks or so, with 2 weeks of this likely to be a "tapering" period. So, you'd need to be able to do more than the 13 miles (probably around 18 miles anyhow) at that stage of your training.

I did the Longford Half Marathon last year:
    http://www.longfordmarathon.com/
    Its on the 30th August this year. Course is relatively flat. I found that this put me in a better position to be comfortable in the full marathon last year. Yes, it is just 2 weeks after the 10 miler, but moving from 10 to 13 miles in 2 weeks is a hell of a lot easier than from 13 to 26 miles in 4 weeks.

Another alternative is the Dingle Half Marathon (think its the first year of this):
    http://www.dinglemarathon.ie/
    on 12th September. Dont really know too much about this, but again, there is more time before the Dublin Marathon.

You could do the Dublin Half Marathon aswell on 26th Sept as practice.

best of luck with it. I'll be doing the 5 miler anyhow, and hoping to do the Dublin Marathon aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement