Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this handset exist ?

• 15-04-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Sony Ericsson W910i has just died, and I need a replacement. There are a few things that annoyed me about this handset, but I cannot see an obvious replacement for what I need for around the same price. Primary uses are as a phone, and as an mp3 player/radio. Any suggestions very welcome.

Requirements:

- Must be able to accept 8gb M2 card as I have a couple of these.
    - Must have FM radio
    - Must have a good music player
    - Good headphones
    - As small as possible
    - Usable camera, something that would take acceptable shots for eBay etc.
    - Bluetooth A2DP audio

Things that annoyed me about the W910i:

- Radio receiver situated on the headphone cable, so using third party
    headphones to listen to radio is not possible.
    - OS seems quite slow in response, especially with higher capacity memory
    card in use.
    - No standard headphone jack...something which is trying to be an mp3
    player should have this IMO

Does anything exist which would suit my requirements ?

Cheers,

Nathan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It'll have to be a sony ericsson if you want an M2 card
    - Radio receiver situated on the headphone cable, so using third party
    headphones to listen to radio is not possible.
    Eh? What gave you that idea? Is it because it told you that the earphones had to be plugged in to use the radio? If so, that's just because it uses them as an antenna. Any earphones will work
    - No standard headphone jack...something which is trying to be an mp3
    player should have this IMO

You can get adapters for a few euro or $0.65 here http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=106 Not ideal I know but since you want a sony ericsson. you should know that if you use standard earphones you can't use them as a handsfree kit. You'll be able to hear the caller but you'll have to use the phone's microphone to talk to them. The sony ericsson earphones have a microphone built in

The only Sony Ericsson handset I can find on www.gsmarena.com that both takes an M2 card and has a 3.5mm audio jack (that's a standard earphone jack btw) is this:http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-2682.php

which I don't think is available on an Irish network and is €494.99 on www.expansys.ie. Probably best to get an earphone adapter :)

Or get a new memory card so as not to limit yourself to SE. They're dirt cheap nowadays

You should go here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3
    and put in your requirements and see what pops up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The w890i is pretty small, 3.2mp camera and takes a 8GB card, as Sam said just get a little headphone adapter so you can plug in ordianry headphones....

No flash on the camera, but 3.2 should be ok for ebay, it's a very small and light phone within your budget..

The w890i is pretty small, 3.2mp camera and takes a 8GB card, as Sam said just get a little headphone adapter so you can plug in ordianry headphones....

No flash on the camera, but 3.2 should be ok for ebay, it's a very small and light phone within your budget..

I'm pretty sure the W890i actually comes with one of those adapters. My gf has one so I'll ask her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Thanks guys, I didn't know only SE used M2 cards.

I was aware of the adapter, but didn't know they were so cheap.

The reason you can't listen to radio on different headphones, is simply that the stock headphones/receiver takes up the headphone socket, and it doesn't push the radio audio over bluetooth for some reason.

Anyone else had this problem with a sluggish feeling OS ? Might ditch SE altogether if other handsets have a more responsive feel.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

The reason you can't listen to radio on different headphones, is simply that the stock headphones/receiver takes up the headphone socket,
    I'm confused. What's stopping you buying normal earphones, getting one of those adapters and using them to listen to the radio?

and it doesn't push the radio audio over bluetooth for some reason.
    I already said why that is. It uses the earphones as an antenna. I don't know of any phone on which the radio will work without earphones plugged in.

Anyone else had this problem with a sluggish feeling OS ? Might ditch SE altogether if other handsets have a more responsive feel.

I've heard that about the w910i alright

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm confused. What's stopping you buying normal earphones, getting one of those adapters and using them to listen to the radio?

You know, maybe you're right....

There is a little plastic bulb halfway along the cable on the SE headphones, and I always presumed that this was the radio receiver and that using normal headphones wouldn't work as they didn't have this.

I will look into it and post back.

( mmmm.... w910i's going for 60 quid on adverts.ie )

You know, maybe you're right....

There is a little plastic bulb halfway along the cable on the SE headphones, and I always presumed that this was the radio receiver and that using normal headphones wouldn't work as they didn't have this.

I will look into it and post back.

( mmmm.... w910i's going for 60 quid on adverts.ie )

That's just the microphone for use as a hands free kit

Ah...makes sense...and those adapters have a mic in them also...

*slaps forehead*

Gonna get one of those adapters if I go back down the SE route.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Ah...makes sense...and those adapters have a mic in them also...

*slaps forehead*

Gonna get one of those adapters if I go back down the SE route.

Cheers

The sony ericsson headphone supplied with walkman handsets split midway at the mic and accept any 3.5mm jack headphones. Use a short lead version for optimium cable length - eg most sure's, sonys, phillips, koss etc come with a standard or short cable version.

I find the Sony Ericsson C902 a neat enough handset.

• Advertisement

neilled wrote: »
    The sony ericsson headphone supplied with walkman handsets split midway at the mic and accept any 3.5mm jack headphones. Use a short lead version for optimium cable length - eg most sure's, sonys, phillips, koss etc come with a standard or short cable version.

I find the Sony Ericsson C902 a neat enough handset.

Ok...I take back my earlier whinging. That's actually a really good design. Not only can you use any headphones with it, you can also use those headphones as a handsfree unit.

Thanks all.

Ok...I take back my earlier whinging. That's actually a really good design. Not only can you use any headphones with it, you can also use those headphones as a handsfree unit.

Thanks all.

Yes you can. Maybe I wasn't very clear but that's what comes with the W890i and most if not all walkman phones

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes you can. Maybe I wasn't very clear but that's what comes with the W890i and most if not all walkman phones

Yeah, apologies...reading back I was a little slow on the uptake there.

Must remember to RTFM next time.

Advertisement