Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pub without a TV?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in Galway for a conference and I'm just wondering is there any pub here where you can sit down and have a good conversation over a quiet pint? Last night was a disaster with every single pub having all its tvs raging in the background with some soccer game. There must be some pub without all that stuff being rammed down our ears?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Good question - as far i know (or remember) The bar in the Park House Hotel doesnt have a TV, Not sure about Neachtains but dont think they have a TV either, unless its hidden away somewhere...

Does the Roisin or The Crane have TV's?? - been a while since i was in either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

The Cottage Bar in Lower Salthill. ;)

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Good question - as far i know (or remember) The bar in the Park House Hotel doesnt have a TV

There are tv's in the park house bar. I cant think of anywhere of the top of my head but Garavans or Freenys should be quite enough once there are no matches on. Neachtains could be alright too but they have music sometimes which will have the same result as a TV. The Galway Arms down near millstreet barracks was always quite as well anytime I was in there. It depends on the night really.

.... but Garavans or Freenys should be quite enough once there are no matches on.....

If they've no interest in watching a match then they probably don't know when matches are scheduled! :D

Sheridan's down by the docks is another one I'd add. Would prefer the Cottage though, both do nice food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

there is a tv in the cotage bar, and with champions league on tonight even freeneys and murphys will have the match on....

u could try the beerhaus they have a tv but it is seldom used
    and ive seen the news on in the crane
    so i safely say that THE BLUE NOTE is the only pub with no tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was going to say Blue Note as well. Also try upstairs in Roisin Dubh. I don't think there are televisions there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

O'Connors in Salthill, not a tv to be seen and if there is music it is usually low enough so you can still converse without the 'wha?' 'huh?' and/or random yes/no answers to unheard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Tigh Choili's in shop street don't have a tv. Might have trad music but that shouldnt stop you having a conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Murty Rabbits on Foster St has TV's, but also a bit down the back which is virtually a separate room, may be a bit quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GalwayGirl1983

The lobby area of the House Hotel is pretty quiet for a conference and comfortable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Tigh Coili is "apparently" the only pub in Galway city with no TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I didn't see one in the Dail bar when I was in there. Now I could be wrong but there didn't seem any downstairs at least

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

O'connels on eyre square have a sign saying "No tvs, no djs, hear yourself think"(possibly paraphrasing),

Very well stocked bar and brilliant beer garden,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kevmy wrote: »
    I didn't see one in the Dail bar when I was in there. Now I could be wrong but there didn't seem any downstairs at least

There's plenty, but maybe they only have them on for matches. Sheridans on the docks as mentioned is usually good, they have one tv but I've never seen it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Neachtains don't have a telly. If you can get the snug, it is grand for a chat.
    I don't find the music invasive at all if it is on. The live music is only some nights. The 'train carriage' type snugs are away from it too.

Cólí's is MENTAL when there is a good session, not to mention packed. Great for listening to tunes, but expect to stand and shout.

I'd second Sheridans on Docks, but there was a tiny telly in the back when the Rugby was on, none in the front though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

lmtduffy wrote: »
    O'connels on eyre square have a sign saying "No tvs, no djs, hear yourself think"(possibly paraphrasing),

They have a tv, I've watched rugby in there a few times. Great bar alright, one of my favourites in Galway...

axiom32 wrote: »
    there is a tv in the cotage bar, and with champions league on tonight even freeneys and murphys will have the match on....

They have a tv in the back bar alright, but I've never ever seen it switched on. No TV in the main bar anyway...

Great tapas too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

lmtduffy wrote: »

Gotta love The OC, super pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

kevmy wrote: »

They have 2 big flatscreens upstairs but not sure about down stairs.

Back of Freeneys is always good for a chat and great whiskey selection :cool:

O'Connells is a great pub for sure but unless your in early usually standing room only

Back of Freeneys is always good for a chat and great whiskey selection :cool:
    They had the Liverpool v Arsenal match this evening, incl an hour of post match analysis. Generally good though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement