Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old pc and WOW

Options
  • 15-04-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey all

I run wow on a fairly old machine, It worked fine with maybe 30% of the sliders up. Last year or so I started having major graphics probs (screen tearing and single digit fps). Any long story short cleaned up my hard drive, this helped.

The major difference came when I underclocked my GPU. The game runs smooth enough for me now at the lowest settings. Am I correct in thinking that my GPU was deteriorating and that by underclocking its at peak performance? Any other ideas?

Also, if anyone has suggestions on how make wow run smoother (without new hardware) please shout

Thanks

3g cpu
    1g ram
    Geforce fx5200

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

just have everyone on low, maybe a lower res ?

Have as few addons as you can do with.

other than that, just keep your HD clean, dont have anything you dont need running in the background.

Wow isnt really like cs, at least i dont think it has any configs etc that you can play with.

Maybe disabling player names and stuff like that might help with fps in cities and even in raids, not sure.

Other than that, just save 300-400quid and build a nice cheap pc that'll run wow good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

what os you using ?
    2 gig of ram would help

ive wow running on a amd xp3200 with 1gig of ram and a x900 ( think thats the specs ) its fine outside of citys and instances . turn all graphics to the lowest settings . turn off names and the like .

thers no free advancements . you will have to upgrade something and even at that its only a temp one .

look in the adverts section thers always stuff that you could throw into your machine cheap to help the cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i run WoW full specs, on a 3.3 ghz, 1 gig ram, 256 mb GC...

impossible is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

OP, the most probable cause is that your case needs cleaning, imho.

Open it up and check out the fan for your graphics card and see if there are big dusty, blobs that are mucking up the works. I've found that in alot of cases, that can cause issues, especially with the Geforce cards from each series; that are single card size and with some shítty, budget fan as standard.

Check it out.
    I used to run WoW on a P4 2.0ghz with 1gb ram. The graphics quality have come up since then, but not by that much and this was on highest settings at the time.

Check out your graphics drivers and directx versions. Most likely you havent updated them in several months if not years ;)

Advertisement