Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuffed Vine Leaves [recipe]

• 15-04-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

Right, they're an absolute favorite snack of mine, especially during Summer, so I had a go at making them last week. Picked up most of the ingredients in the store beside Vicar St, moreso out of convenience, but the only thing I've had a bit of trouble getting my hands on is the short grained rice, I did, however, manage to get my hands on a Nigerian rice called afado rice - It worked a dream!

Anyways,

1 Lemon
    1 Lime
    1 bunch of Vine leaves in Brine
    1/4 of an Onion
    Dill
    Mint
    Parsley
    Pine nuts
    Olive Oil (3/4's of a cup)
    Short grained rice is down on the original recipes, but if you can get your hands on this rice, then go for it!

Cut your onions up nice and thin. Cut up the dill, mint & parsley. Throw the onions into a pot with 1/4 of the cup of olive oil. Fry them away for a bit, and lash in the pine nuts. Just before they brown, throw in a cup and a half of rice, and the greenery, along with another cup and a half of water. Cover the pot, and leave it simmer away for about 15 minutes.

Run your vine leaves through warm water to wash off the brine, and soften them. Lay them out smooth side down, any broken bits of leaves you get, layer them on the bottom of a large saucepan. Grab a spoon of the rice, and pop it on to a leaf, then fold and roll it up, and pop it in to the saucepan, Pack each of the wraps in nice and tightly in the saucepan, squeeze in as much of the lemon as you can get out of it, and throw the remains of the lemons into the saucepan too. Throw the rest of the pot of olive oil in, and fill with water until it reaches the highest wrap.

Put a small bowl or plate on top of the wraps to stop them moving. Bring the pot to a simmer, and cover, and leave for about an hour and a half. When it's done, take it off the heat, and leave it cool for about 2 hours. Then pop them in to your bowls, or whatever, and pour in some of the remaining juice, throw some limes in on top, and pop in the fridge.

Serve with greek yogurt if you're into that kinda thing when they're chilled, and enjoy! :)

Oh, and some pictures... because I'm nice like that :p

3420984193_a30a23fceb.jpg

3421043625_b9d428f8e2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

sounds lovely:pac: had a Romanian dish something very similar but they had minced pork in it as well.

nice photos:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sounds great! I was looking for something extra to do for a party for a friend of mine this Sat... and these sound just the ticket. I'm gonna do wee kebabs and greek-type dishes. Anyone any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

rocknchef wrote: »
    sounds lovely:pac: had a Romanian dish something very similar but they had minced pork in it as well.

nice photos:)
    Cheers!

I've heard of a good few recipe's with ground pork or turkey in'em, but I think I prefer the idea of a snack without meat - Though if someone else was to get'em together I wouldn't complain!!!

Olaola, don't forget about the good 'ol Antipasta Misto, get your meats from Lidl, they'll have plenty, or if you're in Dublin city centre, there's a few fantastic shops for meat. Other bits and bobs to think abot throwing in are pickled Artichokes, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatos pickled onions, some good cheeses, etc, throw some rocket salad, olive oil & balsamic vinegar on, and slice & toast a bread roll or two - Sorted!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Olaola, don't forget about the good 'ol Antipasta Misto, get your meats from Lidl, they'll have plenty, or if you're in Dublin city centre, there's a few fantastic shops for meat. Other bits and bobs to think abot throwing in are pickled Artichokes, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatos pickled onions, some good cheeses, etc, throw some rocket salad, olive oil & balsamic vinegar on, and slice & toast a bread roll or two - Sorted!

I did a Lidl blitz yesterday :) Might hit Aldi for some more meaty treats tomrw. (btw their sliced chorizo is some of the best I've tasted) I have to say the one thing that we're really lacking here is good bread. Superquinn is about the best near me. That cuisine de crap is all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you *really* want to show off, make your own bread :p

We are in need of a few bakeries alright - Some Italians sell their bread, esp. Italian cafe's - There was a great one on Wexford St, but it's closed down afaik :(

• Advertisement

cuisne de crap. (I like that) they have a brand of bread called le brea if you see this get some very tasty but im not sure if they sell it in supermarkets. I know they have a cafe in Arnotts called le brea.

My oven is a shonky gas one, so I can only really make bread in loaf tins (even then the edges get burnt!)
    Sorry to tell ya Rocknchef, but La Brea is another brand from the Cuisine de Crap mothership. And I think that cafe is now an Itsa Bagel?

i knew its there brand but its good

rocknchef wrote: »
    i knew its there brand but its good
    Sorry! I sped read your post :) I have had their garlic loaf and tbh it was plaquey and too sweet. Wasn't that impressed. It's still the same aul boil in the bag effort.

Advertisement